RG3 - Facts and BS - the final 3 weeks

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Re: RG3 status for the season

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:09 am

^^ +1

Like I said - a lot is being made out of this MESS that is just over the top reporting …. as usual

IMO Mike is considering benching RG3 because he feels that's best for the franchise and for RG3
Robert OBVIOUSLY gives the team the best chance at winning but that is not the priority at this time
Cousins can use the playing time and the offense is not badly hurt by having him at QB

I'm sure that Mike discussed this with Dan - I do NOT agree that Robert's 'health' is the primary motive here - it's the best 'move' for the franchise

we don't know that Mike's going to 'bench' Robert but we do know that most of the 'speculation' for why he's doing it is BS
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Deadskins wrote:[It's not just developing him in this system. You can look at these as pre-season games. They aren't going to help the team, but the players still get the game experience. The more Robert plays, the better he will get at reading defenses, developing pocket presence, and just slowing down the game in general. I say play him. Yes, he might get injured, but that could happen in any game at any time, and unless he blows out the knee again, he has four months to recover from an injury before OTAs even begin. Start him, and if things are looking bad or we get a huge lead ( :shock: ), then you pull him later in the game.

He's taking a massive amount of sacks. He's not learning. Despite what the majority of the fan base believes, the sacks are not all solely the fault of the o-line. I think there was an article written that detailed what factored in to the different sacks in each game, which put a whole different perspective on QB sacks. I really think that was what Shanny was trying to convey in the press conference yesterday, he thinks Griffin is partially to blame for the number of sacks he's been taking so he needs to rest. 3 "preseason" games aren't going to help him develop any less than if he were to rest the remaining games and then have his first full offseason.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:07 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... ion-on-qbs

I would think if this is true, Shanahan will shut down Griffin for the reaminder of the year.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm not really convinced this "shut down RGIII" stuff is everything the media has blown it up to be or that Shanahan was all that serious about it. I know he made the comment, but having watched the press conference it was way more an off the cuff remark than anything. And the reporters kind of trapped him into saying certain things. Like clearly the "we need to protect Robert from all the sacks" was kind of a bs excuse from Shanahan, so the reporters backed him into a corner with, "Well that MUST mean for the rest of the season then, RIGHT COACH?" If you watched it, he really didn't come out and lay this all out the way the reports have made it sound.

Any other week, people would have chalked it up to "oh Shanahan wants to make the Falcons prepare for two QBs".

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:48 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:[It's not just developing him in this system. You can look at these as pre-season games. They aren't going to help the team, but the players still get the game experience. The more Robert plays, the better he will get at reading defenses, developing pocket presence, and just slowing down the game in general. I say play him. Yes, he might get injured, but that could happen in any game at any time, and unless he blows out the knee again, he has four months to recover from an injury before OTAs even begin. Start him, and if things are looking bad or we get a huge lead ( :shock: ), then you pull him later in the game.

He's taking a massive amount of sacks. He's not learning. Despite what the majority of the fan base believes, the sacks are not all solely the fault of the o-line. I think there was an article written that detailed what factored in to the different sacks in each game, which put a whole different perspective on QB sacks. I really think that was what Shanny was trying to convey in the press conference yesterday, he thinks Griffin is partially to blame for the number of sacks he's been taking so he needs to rest. 3 "preseason" games aren't going to help him develop any less than if he were to rest the remaining games and then have his first full offseason.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:43 pm

riggofan wrote:I'm not really convinced this "shut down RGIII" stuff is everything the media has blown it up to be or that Shanahan was all that serious about it. I know he made the comment, but having watched the press conference it was way more an off the cuff remark than anything. And the reporters kind of trapped him into saying certain things. Like clearly the "we need to protect Robert from all the sacks" was kind of a bs excuse from Shanahan, so the reporters backed him into a corner with, "Well that MUST mean for the rest of the season then, RIGHT COACH?" If you watched it, he really didn't come out and lay this all out the way the reports have made it sound.

Any other week, people would have chalked it up to "oh Shanahan wants to make the Falcons prepare for two QBs".

+1 - that's why I kind of think that Robert will start …

despite what some may think - these guys all want to win each and every game and Robert will want to be a part of that

I also think that Mike would only pull Robert if he felt that it might in any way help Cousins get some time

Robert's playing IMO and it's for all the right reasons NOT because of what is being speculated by some fans and the media

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

cleg

Postby cleg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:49 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:And if Cousins performs well and we were to go 3-0?

Then we get a first round pick.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Having a good back up QB is not something that you trade away just to pick up a first round pick and a team with a high pick is NOT trading it for Cousins

depth at all positions is really very important, especially at QB

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:13 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:

I would say he is learning. People forget before we drafted him he was most not ready out of the top QBS to be drafted. We knew this. He due to many circumstances is trying to be a pocket passer and learn. He had a real good game against the Giants. It doesn't matter. I would expect if Cousins gets the start he will fumble, throw picks and get sacked too. I hope I am wrong of course.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:20 pm

What little action cousins has seen was probably even worse.. hits per drop back, fumbles per drop back, and int per attempt have been piss poor in his limited action.

Storminmormon: that report on sacks revealed nothing to allieviate the blame on the o line except maybe extend some to the wide outs! The most were blown blocks followed by coverage sacks ... The "mistakes" column which I guess mostly credits rgiii were the least. It also didn't take into account all the sacks rgiii avoided by being elusive and scrambling. Jus an fyi

I don't care who starts at this point, so long as the pukes get murdered and enjoy the playoffs from home :twisted:
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:36 am

riggofan wrote:I'm not really convinced this "shut down RGIII" stuff is everything the media has blown it up to be or that Shanahan was all that serious about it. I know he made the comment, but having watched the press conference it was way more an off the cuff remark than anything. And the reporters kind of trapped him into saying certain things. Like clearly the "we need to protect Robert from all the sacks" was kind of a bs excuse from Shanahan, so the reporters backed him into a corner with, "Well that MUST mean for the rest of the season then, RIGHT COACH?" If you watched it, he really didn't come out and lay this all out the way the reports have made it sound.

I thought that was the case too initially, after the little comment he made on Sunday. But then when he went into detail about what he meant on Monday, it made me believe he was strongly considering it. Because on Sunday, he was just saying a roundabout answer about every position, but then Monday he went on to clarify that Griffin specifically was more of a concern for health reasons.

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:26 am

The positive view some of you take on this whole fiasco amazes me. I truly wish I had your outlook, I really do. I am not generally one to doom and gloom but things are getting ugly fast.

When in the history of the NFL has a team benched its prized franchise QB ( especially one still learning/ developing ) for fear of injury because the season was "lost" and they were just playing out the string? I have been trying to think of just one instance and I can come up with nothing. If anyone does know please share because maybe it will help me to understand. All I am able to come up with is a team who has secured a playoff bye resting starters and that is no where close to being the same situation. This benching of RG3 for whatever the reason may be is going to cause a lot more harm then good IMO, both in RG3's confidence and the locker room. I just dont see how anything positive can come from this...

I say this as one of the people who felt that RG3 needed to be humbled and felt his ego was getting the best of him but it has gone from maybe needing a wake up call and learning to be a better leader to possibly ruining the kids future here in DC. I know some of you feel this is a chance to showcase Kirk and possibly get a better draft pick out of him but who says the team is even trading him.. If RG3 is so injury prone that we need to protect him by sitting him these last 3 games, then we certainly need someone like Cousins ready to step in at a moments notice. So we cant trade the kid and now we are creating a possible QB controversy and a split locker room. You are risking losing the player you invested soo much in and getting nothing in return or not near the same value we gave up. My 2 cents

I really hope the powers that be know what they are doing and that all of you with the positive view on this matter are right!

-----------

Postby Smithian » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:31 am

So Mike Shanahan is now the smart coach protecting his player?

Excuse me, January 6 is calling.

"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 am

I'm not sure that I would classify many of us that are advocating taking a closer look at things than accepting what the VERY biased media is reporting as "positive"

I sure don't feel very positive about the Redskins at this time - I am VERY concerned

we have some major concerns here

I am feeling 'positive' about the QB - that is more towards his potential to help this franchise in the future than at this time :twisted:

Hog

Postby (d)oink » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:41 am

Please Mike......bench yourself now rather than later. Just go
What the....

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football