RG3 - Facts and BS - the final 3 weeks

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: RG3 status for the season

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Deadskins wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:I'm still amazed how much people love Griffin more than the team as a whole.

What people? Just because you disagree that sitting him is the best move, you love Griffin more than the team?

No, it's not just that. He's not performing well this year. People (former players and current players) are saying he shouldn't play and that each week he's regressing. But people still want him to play and are disappointed because HE won't be on the field. There more concerned that he plays rather than the team beating the Falcons. That's my issue.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:Chris Cooley said on the radio that this is a smart move. He said Griffin continues to regress each week, and that if you continue to play him these last three games it's going to completely destroy what little confidence he has left. I'm still amazed how much people love Griffin more than the team as a whole.

Yeah, I was listening to that on the way to work. I was pretty disappointed with Chris' reponse. He took on the form of Larry Michael and sounded like one of the redskins' trained monkeys that spouts out their propaganda. You don't bench players to IMPROVE their confidence :roll: ---- any NFL player (including Chris) KNOWS that. Get real.

Also, I don't think people love RGIII more than the team; I just think people still see RGIII as the savior to the franchise (and therefore invest more in him). My personal interest is only with the skins. If RGIII doesn't perform next year, I'll want him gone.

Cooley was stating that it's a good idea because Robert is developing horrible habits that will be hard to break. He specifically mentioned Roberts penchant to jump when he throws passes. He brought up Roberts terrible footwork. These are things that are worked on during the offseason. I'm not saying I agree with the decision, but wanted to properly characterize his stance.

Yes, but aren't those things you work on in practice and then implement in games? Wouldn't the QB coach do this? Wouldn't this be the ideal situation for RGIII to work on these developmental areas and apply them in games all while doing so in a lower stress enviornment (seeing how we are out of playoff contention and baring injury nothing can happen to unseat his starter status)?

I just think Chris regurgitated what the skins are throwing out and didn't provide his personal opinion -- that's really all.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:08 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:I'm still amazed how much people love Griffin more than the team as a whole.

What people? Just because you disagree that sitting him is the best move, you love Griffin more than the team?

No, it's not just that. He's not performing well this year. People (former players and current players) are saying he shouldn't play and that each week he's regressing. But people still want him to play and are disappointed because HE won't be on the field. There more concerned that he plays rather than the team beating the Falcons. That's my issue.

That's freaking ridiculous. I personally believe RGIII is the more talented QB, so I think he gives the team the best chance to beat the Falcons. It has nothing to do with me putting RGIII's interests ahead of the team's. Its the opposite of that. I also think he is our best long term option.

You can make the same dumb argument about fans who are calling for Kirk Cousins. They have no idea if he has what it takes to beat the Falcons or not. Most of them just want to see what he can do - which has nothing to do with making beating the Falcons a priority.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 pm

markshark84 wrote:I just think Chris regurgitated what the skins are throwing out and didn't provide his personal opinion -- that's really all.

He's also completely reversed course on what he was saying just two or three days ago. I'm pretty certain he said RGIII should and definitely WOULD finish the season at QB.

Honestly I cannot remember a season that I just wanted to be OVER with more than this one. We've had some awful seasons over the past twenty years, but even in some of the worst I would still watch every last game knowing how much I would miss the team when the season was over. You know? I'd still be looking at games like this last one v. the Cowboys and still looking forward to being the spoiler or whatever.

This year I literally cannot wait for them to clean out their lockers.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:19 pm

riggofan wrote:That's freaking ridiculous. I personally believe RGIII is the more talented QB, so I think he gives the team the best chance to beat the Falcons. It has nothing to do with me putting RGIII's interests ahead of the team's. Its the opposite of that. I also think he is our best long term option.

You can make the same dumb argument about fans who are calling for Kirk Cousins. They have no idea if he has what it takes to beat the Falcons or not. Most of them just want to see what he can do - which has nothing to do with making beating the Falcons a priority.

What's ridiculous about that? People ARE moaning about how they don't get to see Griffin play. This isn't a stupid "F U" Shanny decision to screw the organization in any way. Shanahan just confirmed that Snyder was in on the decision to bench him the rest of the year, Allen too. Griffin didn't have an offseason. Griffin couldn't develop properly because of that. He might be the best long term option, but he needs a full offseason to develop. But for the sake of argument, what if Griffin isn't the long term answer? Shouldn't we at least get a look at Cousins running the same offense to see if it moves any smoother?

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:21 pm

riggofan wrote:He's also completely reversed course on what he was saying just two or three days ago. I'm pretty certain he said RGIII should and definitely WOULD finish the season at QB.

No he thought Shanahan wouldn't bench him for the rest of the year. Cooley specifically said Cousins gives the team the best chance to win at this point, and that he would run the offense better than Griffin.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:27 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Two things:
1) I don't believe that there is a concensus amongst former and current players that he should sit or is regressing. And I don't agree that that would be a valid reason for sitting him the final three games, anyway.
2) My primary concern is that the team wins, but why can't I have both? I'm actually going to this game (I live in Atlanta) and this would be my first chance to see RGIII live. I've looked forward to this game since the schedule came out that it was here and not at FedEx. So sue me if I'm disappointed that Shanny is being vindictive and sitting RGIII so he can get fired and still get his $7 million. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Let's clarify:

Chris C0oley did state that despite the Monday presser, he thought that RG3 would start the game against the Falcons

I don't agree with the decision but I am now (like riggofan) looking forward to this all being over and finding out who the HC is going to be going forward

this coming off season is very important to RG3s development as a QB

I am fairly sure that Mike is not coming back now

I do believe that Dan and Mike will meet to go over what they think is best for the future of this franchise
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:15 pm

Deadskins wrote:1) I don't believe that there is a concensus amongst former and current players that he should sit or is regressing. And I don't agree that that would be a valid reason for sitting him the final three games, anyway.

2 former Redskins disagree with you. Cooley and Theismann. Theismann: "Robert's made some decisions in games that just haven't allowed the football team to progress and win a football game, but every quarterback does that. I admire what Mike is doing. I mean, it's speculation that he's going to be gone. And when you lose as many games as the Redskins have lost, there's a chance that he will be gone. But what he's doing is he's trying to protect the franchise quarterback, a guy he drafted, to give him a chance to be able to have an offseason to go to work." Cooley's quote can be found previously in this thread.
Deadskins wrote:2) My primary concern is that the team wins, but why can't I have both? I'm actually going to this game (I live in Atlanta) and this would be my first chance to see RGIII live. I've looked forward to this game since the schedule came out that it was here and not at FedEx. So sue me if I'm disappointed that Shanny is being vindictive and sitting RGIII so he can get fired and still get his $7 million. :roll:

How is he being vindictive?! He's already said the decision was made between himself, Snyder, and Allen.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:44 pm

I don't think that Mike is going to be here next season …

however

I do believe that in benching Robert, Mike thinks that is the best thing to do for RG3 and for the Redskins … that is intriguing to me

I think the press has a lot of things wrong about Dan Snyder and about Mike Shanahan and about their relationship

I'm kind of looking forward to the end of the season now :twisted:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:46 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:What's ridiculous about that? People ARE moaning about how they don't get to see Griffin play.

I really have no idea who these "people" are that you're talking about. Anybody else heard this alleged moaning that people just want to see RGIII play no matter what? Maybe you're talking about his parents or something.[/quote]

StorminMormon86 wrote:But for the sake of argument, what if Griffin isn't the long term answer? Shouldn't we at least get a look at Cousins running the same offense to see if it moves any smoother?

That's fine, and I have no problem with your logic. But you're making the EXACT same argument that you just complained about from other people. You're not saying: I want to go beat the Falcons, you're saying: I want to see Cousins play.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:46 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I don't think that Mike is going to be here next season …

however

I do believe that in benching Robert, Mike thinks that is the best thing to do for RG3 and for the Redskins … that is intriguing to me

I think the press has a lot of things wrong about Dan Snyder and about Mike Shanahan and about their relationship

I'm kind of looking forward to the end of the season now :twisted:

I don't know if any of what you wrote is correct, but I sure as hell am looking forward to the end of the season too.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:03 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote: … for the sake of argument, what if Griffin isn't the long term answer? Shouldn't we at least get a look at Cousins running the same offense to see if it moves any smoother?

I think your opinion is totally wrong - Robert has not shown any of us (except a few 'haters') that he's not the "long term answer"

Mike is benching Griffin because he thinks it's in the best interests of the franchise and because he thinks it's the best thing to do for Robert

Kirk Cousins is a good QB who is playing for the Redskins but he's not the Redskins franchise QB

I'm not sure that Mike is really pleased with the progress that Robert has made this season

Mike thinks this benching will prove to be best for Robert although it looks like RG3 is not happy about it right now

Kirk Cousins MIGHT turn out to be a franchise QB but that is not happening here unless Robert is not available to play

08 Champ

Re: RG3 status for the final 3 weeks

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Hopefully Kirk Cousins will play well the next 3 weeks …

The Redskins will be spending this off season getting Robert ready to be the starting QB

Kirk Cousins will hopefully be a QB here next season

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:14 pm

riggofan wrote:I really have no idea who these "people" are that you're talking about. Anybody else heard this alleged moaning that people just want to see RGIII play no matter what? Maybe you're talking about his parents or something.

It's all over the internet man. People are upset because he's benched. Shanahan is the scapegoat. 99% of those people didn't even watch the presser today, where Shanny actually answered questions more thorough and it sure as hell didn't seem like a guy who wanted to quit the team or who already had quit and lost the locker room.
riggofan wrote:That's fine, and I have no problem with your logic. But you're making the EXACT same argument that you just complained about from other people. You're not saying: I want to go beat the Falcons, you're saying: I want to see Cousins play.

No. I want to see us beat the Falcons. And I want to see if the quality in play in our offense changes or stays the same.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football