Playing Out The String

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Playing Out The String

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:48 am

According to FOX's Jay Glazer, the thinking inside the Redskins is that Mike Shanahan will start Kirk Cousins Sunday "unless RG3 is able to convince him otherwise."

Shanahan is prone to changing his mind often, but for now he's leaning toward starting Cousins for the final weeks of this lost season. The coach will say it's to protect Griffin from further injury, but holding him out of the first three games instead of the last three would have made infinitely more sense. Now it looks like Shanny is just trying to get fired by owner Daniel Snyder (instead of resigning) so he can collect his paycheck. Cousins would be entering a plus matchup at Atlanta, but there's tons of downside in a fantasy plug-n-play because the Redskins appear to have quit on their coach and the season. Dec 11 - 8:14 AM

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

-----------

Re: Playing Out The String

Postby Smithian » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:29 am

Another leak by the Shanahan camp. Clever one. Now if RGIII starts it makes him look like the diva who begged to start. Thank God most sane people in media getting idea where this is all coming from. Sally Jenkins must be furious not have been given this leak.

Shanahan is going to leave this the same steaming wreck that he inherited. Disgusting. Can't believe I supported him until a few weeks ago.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:46 am

Smithian wrote:Another leak by the Shanahan camp. Clever one. Now if RGIII starts it makes him look like the diva who begged to start. Thank God most sane people in media getting idea where this is all coming from. Sally Jenkins must be furious not have been given this leak.

Shanahan is going to leave this the same steaming wreck that he inherited. Disgusting. Can't believe I supported him until a few weeks ago.

I feel the same way. Just a couple weeks ago I was hoping he would be given another year as coach.. how quickly things can change

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:14 am

I think there could actually be plus/minus decision for Shanny. If moving to Kirk is a continued train wreck, he will get canned, and still get that $7. If Cousins shinesl, his stock goes up tremendously, and IF Shanny gets to stay due to ending the season with three straight Ws, We could get a high pick for Cousins in the draft. With our shortage of picks, maybe that is what he is looking for. Kind of a grasp at the last straw, but if it works, it works.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:15 am

ESPN is reporting this morning that Cousins is the guy for Sunday. Guess we'll see!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:20 am

Despite what the majority of the fan base thinks, I believe this is the correct move. Now I know there was never another situation like this one: a healthy franchise QB benched before a meaningless season was over. But I also don't think there was ever a franchise QB who could have been potentially going into his 3rd year without a real offseason.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:45 am

So, if Cousins plays like crap, does he bring in RGIII, or do we get sexy Rexy?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:48 am

Deadskins wrote:So, if Cousins plays like crap, does he bring in RGIII, or do we get sexy Rexy?

I doubt Cousins comes out unless he's injured, but I suspect Rex would be next up.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:57 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
Deadskins wrote:So, if Cousins plays like crap, does he bring in RGIII, or do we get sexy Rexy?

I doubt Cousins comes out unless he's injured, but I suspect Rex would be next up.

You think so? If KC got hurt, I would think RGIII plays. I don't see MS suiting up 3 QBs and I don't see MS not suiting up RGIII -- which would leave Rex out.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:58 am

Griffin will be inactive on Sunday. Grossman will be the backup. Have no idea if Griffin will be inactive for the remainder of the year or not.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:03 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Griffin will be inactive on Sunday. Grossman will be the backup. Have no idea if Griffin will be inactive for the remainder of the year or not.

Wow. That just makes no sense. This is a great example of grown men acting like babies.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:53 pm

markshark84 wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:Griffin will be inactive on Sunday. Grossman will be the backup. Have no idea if Griffin will be inactive for the remainder of the year or not.

Wow. That just makes no sense. This is a great example of grown men acting like babies.

Is there anything about this season that has made any sense? :hmm:
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:24 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Griffin will be inactive on Sunday. Grossman will be the backup.

Link?

From Yahoo fantasy football:

Wed, Dec 11

A Redskins player says that "prevention of franchise quarterback getting hurt" was the explanation given in a team meeting regarding Robert Griffin III's benching.

Advice: Coach Mike Shanahan allowed Griffin to play in snowy conditions on an awful field against the Chiefs' elite defense last week. This week, RG3 will be inactive when the Redskins play at Atlanta's dome. No matter how Shanny tries to rationalize it, his decision to sit Griffin out reeks of personal vendettas and a desire to be fired. He's scheduled to explain himself to the media later this afternoon.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby Sonny9TD » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:44 pm

If Cousins does well enter controversy immediately. Cousins is a good QB no doubt. Very interested to see what he can do. Shanny wants to win with Cousins to save some type of face about all this I think. If he wins with Cousins the blame does not look as much his fault and him and his son get a slight reprieve. Or I could be totally wrong about that.

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:47 pm

markshark84 wrote:

To me it's just one man acting this way and it's entirely Shanahan. I don't often agree with JLC but...

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/12/ ... -redskins/

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football