Playing Out The String

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Playing Out The String

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:50 am

Kilmer72 wrote:yeah our Oline has been kicking tail all year. I blame most of the sacks on Robert. Now we will have a real QB take over and show everyone just how great they are.

A lot of the sacks this year have been because of Griffin. Holding the ball too long, not stepping up, etc. He wasn't learning how to adjust so Shanny shut him down.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:07 am

hanburgerheel wrote:They should have started Cousins back on day 1 against the Eagles.

I agree …. BUT - NOBODY (with any intelligence) knew how rusty Robert would be and that choice was not better for Robert's growth at QB

HOWEVER - Mike thought that the best 'path' for this franchise was to give Robert the job and help him learn, on the job, to be a much better all round QB
EVERYONE KNOWS - young QBs need to gain experience, as quickly as possible, on the field
there might have been some pressure on him to go in that direction as well, given the season Robert had and that the Drs and Robert felt his knee was not an issue

CLEARLY Robert has way more upside than Kirk as a QB - that's why the Redskins are trying so hard to help him be as good as he can be :D

did that help a little? :twisted:
always look on the bright side of life

Hail to the Redskins

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:17 am

hanburgerheel wrote:They should have started Cousins back on day 1 against the Eagles.

Agreed. I feel like our starters outplayed opponents starters in the pre-season and when we went with Griff on opening day, we collectively relaxed and have never gotten our edge back. Compounding matters was Griff's health - dude was clearly not 100%. I feel like he's close now but so many other things are wrong with him ... and I attribute a lot of that to him rushing (being rushed) back.

I also think the minor foot injury Cousins suffered in pre-season slightly increased the pressure on Shanny to open with Griff.

I think Shanny and Cousins will both be elsewhere next September.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:29 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:If Kirk comes in and plays lights out, then there's definitely going to be more fuel to the fire. And rightfully so. Because then it would showcase that Griffin was in fact holding the team back on offense because of his poor play and bad decisions.

Just remember whatever may happen this douchebag we have as a HC didn't have Cousins playing the Chiefs or 49ers defense....He chooses to start him against another 3-10 team in a DOME! I would think those are pretty much positive items, why didn't he start Cousins in the cold weather or even snow......

Karma is coming for Shanalobster and Cousins isn't going to protect him....Nothing will......

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:32 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:yeah our Oline has been kicking tail all year. I blame most of the sacks on Robert. Now we will have a real QB take over and show everyone just how great they are.

A lot of the sacks this year have been because of Griffin. Holding the ball too long, not stepping up, etc. He wasn't learning how to adjust so Shanny shut him down.

I don't know what games you have watched but 90% of those sacks came from Chester and Polumbus being unable to block. Even Manning would have been crushed. When it comes to Chester and Polumbus blocking that is like wet toilet paper holding back a turd, not happening my friend......

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:51 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:

I don't know what games you have watched but 90% of those sacks came from Chester and Polumbus being unable to block. Even Manning would have been crushed. When it comes to Chester and Polumbus blocking that is like wet toilet paper holding back a turd, not happening my friend......

I'll let someone else dispose of this. ^^^

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

piggie

Postby hanburgerheel » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Washington won more preseason games than regular season games. Now, I realize preseason games are not the same. However, these last 3 games are going to be very interesting if Kirk Cousins starts and performs noticeably better and especially if Washington wins the games, and heaven forbid they readily win the games. I've always been skeptical of Robert Griffin as a long-term franchise QB. I'm just not sold on him, and never was. But, he's here now. However...

The situation now is much worse than I realized.

You have your owner, who is never leaving. he obviously is fawning over Griffin. That in and of itself is fine, I suppose. However, Snyder is not football savvy and he is prone to snuggling with the players who are less-than-stellar on the field. Then the coach sees this and has to juggle this factor. You want to look good making draft picks and especially when you bet you and your brother's balls on a player. But, you also want to win games. Then you throw in the other multitude of glaring holes in the overall game- Special Teams, Defensive Secondary, hitting-not-tackling, a drop-prone receiving corps, etc., and it gets ever so much worse. Now, you also have a season's worth of failures and losses and an alleged franchise QB who looks like a possible bust. A disillusioned fan base and your ever-present owner who is also weary of having to defend an 80-year-old friggin' mascot! It just doesn't look good all the way around! I want to see the team succeed with Cousins now. Not only because I feel sure that Griffin is easily-contained by NFL defenses(and he really is), but because I want others to see that and see that clearly. Shanahan is also lacking balls and good judgment. Not to mention he is complimented by inept staff. I just hope that MAYBE the team can rally around their preseason QB and get some wins for the fans!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:18 pm

hanburgerheel wrote:Washington won more preseason games than regular season games. Now, I realize preseason games are not the same. However, these last 3 games are going to be very interesting if Kirk Cousins starts and performs noticeably better and especially if Washington wins the games, and heaven forbid they readily win the games. I've always been skeptical of Robert Griffin as a long-term franchise QB. I'm just not sold on him, and never was. But, he's here now. However...

The situation now is much worse than I realized.

You have your owner, who is never leaving. he obviously is fawning over Griffin. That in and of itself is fine, I suppose. However, Snyder is not football savvy and he is prone to snuggling with the players who are less-than-stellar on the field. Then the coach sees this and has to juggle this factor. You want to look good making draft picks and especially when you bet you and your brother's balls on a player. But, you also want to win games. Then you throw in the other multitude of glaring holes in the overall game- Special Teams, Defensive Secondary, hitting-not-tackling, a drop-prone receiving corps, etc., and it gets ever so much worse. Now, you also have a season's worth of failures and losses and an alleged franchise QB who looks like a possible bust. A disillusioned fan base and your ever-present owner who is also weary of having to defend an 80-year-old friggin' mascot! It just doesn't look good all the way around! I want to see the team succeed with Cousins now. Not only because I feel sure that Griffin is easily-contained by NFL defenses(and he really is), but because I want others to see that and see that clearly. Shanahan is also lacking balls and good judgment. Not to mention he is complimented by inept staff. I just hope that MAYBE the team can rally around their preseason QB and get some wins for the fans!

Good points however Shanalobster should have been worrying about and fixing what he could and can control. What RGIII and Snyder do is not Shanacrap's business. He is a head coach not a owner. Perhaps he should have been more focused on getting and replacing Chris Chester and Tyler Polumbus, or hiring a credible Special Teams Coach, maybe even teaching his son how to call plays when your offense runs the ball better than it passes and you have a QB coming back from a serious knee injury. Perhaps instead of pissing in everyone else's cornflakes he should have been finding a replacement for Jim Haslett who has been here about 3 years too long.....But I suppose that is what a good Head Coach would have done, not this crappy imitation we have. But I forgot because Shananapolean grabbed Elway by the nutsac and held on for dear life he now is a 2 time HOF superbowl winning coach that is beyond reproach....... [-( [-( [-(

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:21 pm

[/quote]

I'll let someone else dispose of this. ^^^[/quote]

Can we dispose of the Entire Coaching Staff, Chester, Polumbus, Fletcher, Moss, Biggers, Morgan, Wilson first??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:

Well, that's not the reason given for shutting him down. And I don't agree that shutting him down is the way to get him past these problems either.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Deadskins wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:

Well, that's not the reason given for shutting him down. And I don't agree that shutting him down is the way to get him past these problems either.

So one week, your QB needs all the reps. To next week we are going to shut him down because he has to be healthy for off season, and with the CBA the off season is a joke!

Come on people can you not see this for what it is? Shanahan isn't going to make this any better, and he is basically telling Snyder, RGIII F you! and go ahead and fire me, I still have 7 million more to collect.......

Someone needs to go down to Ashburn, find Shanahan coming out to his car and give him an old school curb stomping......... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:00 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:I think we'll see something similar to the Cleveland game. Cousins will start off shaky (kind of how he's looked in the mop up work this year), but once he gets into a groove, he'll do just fine.

So basically you're saying we'll see the absolute best case scenario, correct?

After all KC did throw from 300+ and 2 TDs all while putting up 38 points. That would tie the best offensive output this team has put up this year.

While I would love to say we'll see the absolute best case scenario, I doubt it. And if we did and this continued over the next 2 games, we'd have a full on QB controversy in DC.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:19 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:

I'll let someone else dispose of this. ^^^[/quote]

Can we dispose of the Entire Coaching Staff, Chester, Polumbus, Fletcher, Moss, Biggers, Morgan, Wilson first??? :roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote]

This is funny. Smiling out loud.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:54 pm

SkinsJock wrote:

I agree …. BUT - NOBODY (with any intelligence) knew how rusty Robert would be and that choice was not better for Robert's growth at QB

I gotta disagree with this a little bit. I know there is a thread on here from back in late August where a few posters made exactly this case that we shouldn't be rushing RGIII back, should consider holding him out until after the BYE. Obviously no one could know how "rusty" he might be, I think most people were making the case that he should have more time to at least practice fully with the knee healed. Hindsight now, but it was out there.

I think if RGIII is to share any of the blame for this season, its mostly from that. He definitely stoked the fire with his promises to be back week one, tweeting about his visits with Dr. Andrews, etc; and put Shanahan is a bad position. Fans are guilty of buying into that hype too.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Mike has always maintained that he can tell from what happens on the practice field how things are going

If Robert had shown that he needed more time - Mike was responsible for determining that

Kyle should have said the best thing for us is to go with Kirk Cousins for a while and that he thought that Robert needed more time if that was the case

these 2 made the determination that he was not only ready to play but most importantly that he gave them the best chance to win

we all can say that we thought so but we were not there with the offense when Robert was executing the plays

Mike has always played things in a very sly way and does not share his concerns at all so he can never be put in a difficult situation

the most important thing now is not to worry so much about what has happened but to learn from the mistakes and make sure we help the QB that we think gives us the best chance at success next season - many think that is Kirk Cousins
I believe that Robert gives us the best chance at success next season and we should make sure he gets all the help he needs

not sure why Mike wants to bench Robert but it is interesting that he feels it is in the best interest of this franchise for next year when he is most likely not here

maybe he thinks that Kirk Cousins could really be the better QB --- :twisted:
always look on the bright side of life

Hail to the Redskins

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football