Cousins Is Just Better...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:58 pm

Using Vick and as an example. If We had RGIII and Vick I would no doubt keep Vick because he doesn't have much value and would not demand a half way decent trade value, whereas Cousins could be in demand and there is value for him. I would be ok with Vick backing up RGIII.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:39 pm

I do not understand why you'd bring in a back up QB like Vick who is not a similar QB to RG3 ... and especially a QB that is injury prone ...

Cousins was selected in the draft because he was too good to pass on, not because Mike wanted him as a back up QB
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:02 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I do not understand why you'd bring in a back up QB like Vick who is not a similar QB to RG3 ... and especially a QB that is injury prone ...

I'm not sure what you mean about Vick not being similar to RG3 or what that really has to do with anything. Cousins isn't exactly similar to RG3, is he? Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying though. I wasn't suggesting Mike Vick because of the whole "mobile QB" thing or anything like that. You could make the same case for Matt Schaub probably.

I'm not saying you SHOULD, but the team could bring in a guy like Mike Vick as a backup because you know he can go out and get the job done, at least on a limited basis. Just a better option IMO than other backup guys like Brady Quinn or Matt Leinart.

As far as the "injury prone" comment, I think that's a fair criticism if you were considering Vick as your starter, but we're talking about a backup QB. He's been capable of backing Nick Foles up for most of this season, so I don't really see why it would be an issue for the Redskins or any other team.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:37 pm

I think having a quality pocket passer is the best way to achieve significant sustainable success. But it the Skins put a higher priority on mobility than having Vick on the roster behind Griffin makes sense because they are both very mobile quarterbacks whose speed has enabled them to make it to the NFL despite their lack of traditional pocket passer skills. Vick could run the red option also so the Skins could use if a Griffin is out. These guys are so similar the Skins could even play Vick a quarter or so a game minimize the amount of hits Griffin gets. Getting Vick is a way to double down on their Griffin strategy and reduce the risks.

Why keep a pocket quarterback on your roster when mobility is the priority? Trade Cousins for a pick that would help Griffin/Vick be successful.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Vick has already said he wants to be a starter next year. There are teams (Browns, Jags, Vikings, Texans, Raiders, possibly Titans) who definitely need starters. No way do I see him coming here, nor do I want him here. Having an injury prone Vick, and a possible injury risk with Griffin's knee, means you would need ANOTHER QB on the roster, taking up a roster spot. I know we had Grossman all year, but that was pretty pointless to keep him around considering he was pretty much inactive the whole year.

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:05 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I do not understand why you'd bring in a back up QB like Vick who is not a similar QB to RG3 ... and especially a QB that is injury prone ...

Cousins was selected in the draft because he was too good to pass on, not because Mike wanted him as a back up QB

Griffin and Vick aren't similar as quarterbacks? What the heck are you talking about? Both came into the league with tremendous running talents and rocket arms and no pocket passing skills. As of today that is what they are assuming Griffin still has his speed. Vick is 10 years or so older than Griffin and their off the field behavior is different but their games are similar, that is if we are talking about the players that actually exist in reality and not some fantasy super Griffin that handles himself in the pocket Payton Manning and runs like Michael Vick.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:15 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Vick has already said he wants to be a starter next year. There are teams (Browns, Jags, Vikings, Texans, Raiders, possibly Titans) who definitely need starters. No way do I see him coming here, nor do I want him here.

ANYWAY, you guys are getting hung up on Mike Vick specifically. I'm not really making a case for him. I'm just pointing out that there are decent QBs like him who MIGHT be available and could be signed to be our backup if by some stroke of luck we got an amazing trade offer for Cousins.

There was a tone in this conversation like, "Oh my god, how can we trade Cousins? Who in the world would back up RGIII?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Okay, Vick was just an example of a mobile quarterback I get it and it makes sense. If the Skins are committed to having Griffin as a starter having another great runner as his back up makes sense. Maybe the Skins ought to trade Cousins and sign Pat White. If not White there are always some quick option quarterbacks leaving college every year, pick on with a low draft pick. Trade Cousins for a pick or a player to team that wants a pocket passer. Cousins beat out Nick Foles in college so he knows he'll be a successful NFL starter, he is going to bolt as quick as he can so they might as well trade him now.

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:16 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I see - we get a draft pick that we hope will be an OK back up QB when we already have a good back up QB
we're most likely losing him next season but we'll have had another year knowing we have a good back up

we need Cousins as insurance right now - why not keep Cousins for now and address the QB issue when we know more about RG3

I see it as having a back up QB and not worrying about if the draft pick can be a back up

it's not a bad thing to have 2 good QBs

Yeah, I'd be very frustrated is we drafted a QB after trading Cousins. We can get a backup in FA. He doesn't have to be the greatest QB. After all, if we had to use him it means RG3 went down. That's bad enough.

If we do trade Cousins, that should put all the more priority on protecting RG3: a better line, better pocket presence, less running due to high WR talent & elusiveness.
Last edited by Neo on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:18 pm

Skins Fan in Indy wrote:To be honest with you and this isn't a knock against Cousins but it would not shock me if Kyle grabs Cousins. That is if he can find work somewhere.

Since his father thought he might get a 1st round pick out of him, we should ask for no less. That is, of course, if the Shanaclan are coaching this year.

Speaking of which...on to google...

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:45 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
Skins Fan in Indy wrote:I just think the needs out weigh the insurance. I say get Sanchez/Schaub for the league minimum get the value now for Cousins and a draft pick and draft someone on the O Line, secondary or whatever. I am saying this based on the assumption that RGIII will be back to form next year which I am sure he will. If there was any doubts about RGIII I most certainly would never give up Cousins.

I'm with you.. stuff happens. Cousins is just as likely to get hurt or continue throwing picks as RGiii is to show the world he has progressed to a top tier qb.
You can't build a team on what ifs tho. I'd prefer we get a safety or lb who is a good special teamed in exchange for Cousins. Unfortunately his stock dropped the last two weeks.

That's the thing, if Cousins wants to be a starter, we'd have to attempt to buy him out to keep him. Money could be spent on a bigger area of need.

All the talk about Cousins might work hard this whole offseason is actually what he did last offseason. He got a personal QB coach and worked his @$$ off. Maybe he will flourish in a different system/team, but bottom line is that Cousins didn't have an offseason...and he still threw a lot of interceptions.

I'm worried about regretting losing Cousins, but I think we have attached ourselves too much to him. We could keep him for half of this year and see if the worst happens with RG3 (sorry, but we need to be prepared for this possibility no matter how much we all hate the idea). That said, I think an extra draft pick (no less than 3rd round) is a better option considering our limited draft picks. Cousins may have just had a fluke, but he didn't look like our long term answer. In other words, we could have what he's got from a FA signing.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:34 am

riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:Vick has already said he wants to be a starter next year. There are teams (Browns, Jags, Vikings, Texans, Raiders, possibly Titans) who definitely need starters. No way do I see him coming here, nor do I want him here.

ANYWAY, you guys are getting hung up on Mike Vick specifically. I'm not really making a case for him. I'm just pointing out that there are decent QBs like him who MIGHT be available and could be signed to be our backup if by some stroke of luck we got an amazing trade offer for Cousins.

There was a tone in this conversation like, "Oh my god, how can we trade Cousins? Who in the world would back up RGIII?"

sorry - I was only reacting to the old school of thought that both Vick and RG3 are basically the same type of QB ...

Vick looks to use his legs and his speed to get the ball downfield

RG3 likes to get the ball downfield using both his own legs and those of others plus he has an incredibly good arm and head for the game

RG3 needs to take the next step and become a much better all round threat as a QB
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:02 am

18 bloody pages!

No, Cousins is not better. Thank you.

Goodbye.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:09 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:18 bloody pages!

No, Cousins is not better. Thank you.

Goodbye.

I am surprised to hear that there are a bunch of fans that think that Cousins might be a better QB than RG3 - NO WAY

I'm out of here too

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football