Cousins Is Just Better...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:42 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Yesterday - Cousins did not look like he's going to be the starting QB here ...

He's good but he's not that good :D

According to some here SkinsJock they think Cousins is the second coming. Obviously you are seeing reality but Cousins has the same things to work with that Robert has. I figure that is what Chris means as well but I am not sure yet. That was left open for debate.

Hog

Postby funsho2 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:45 am

damn Oldschool dissapeared

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:41 am

This "controversy" is far from over if Cousins plays lights out against the Giants.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:18 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:This "controversy" is far from over if Cousins plays lights out against the Giants.

considering griffin played great vs them, minus all the damn drops he was awesome.. I say no.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'm all about an open competition, but the controversy ended yesterday.

Yeah. Also competition is great, but does anybody really believe we're going into the offseason with ANY coach saying, "We have an open competition to see who is going to be the starting QB next season"? Its just ridiculous. Whether people like it or not, RGIII is our franchise, starting QB right now. Hopefully Cousins is pushing him to improve, be sharp, etc; but I just can't see there being a competition for starting QB this early in RGIII's career.

The guy was drafted at a huge expense to be our franchise QB. They're going to give him every opportunity to be that guy, and rightly so.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:43 pm

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'm all about an open competition, but the controversy ended yesterday.

Yeah. Also competition is great, but does anybody really believe we're going into the offseason with ANY coach saying, "We have an open competition to see who is going to be the starting QB next season"? Its just ridiculous. Whether people like it or not, RGIII is our franchise, starting QB right now. Hopefully Cousins is pushing him to improve, be sharp, etc; but I just can't see there being a competition for starting QB this early in RGIII's career.

The guy was drafted at a huge expense to be our franchise QB. They're going to give him every opportunity to be that guy, and rightly so.

IF Kirk is here through the offseason and through preseason, it will not be necessary for anyone "say" that there is a competition. Bob knows that Kirk is a capable starter. Bob knows that he must be progressing and gaining traditional NFL skills. Whether it is stated or not... there will be a competition... but ONLY if Cousins is still a Redskin.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:22 am

Kilmer72 wrote:

I think I know but what do you mean exactly?

That RGIII needs to feel that he is not infallible and is not the second coming of Christ. The controversy ended in that those who felt he'd be the cure for the team we were wrong. For whatever reason, they feel this way. Our issues run too deep and are too layered. Starting Cousins revealed the obvious, that he's a capable pocket passer and Griffin isn't, that's easily shown in the sack column. However, Cousins hasn't won a game and I believe their QB ratings are similar.

riggofan wrote:

This is just my opinion, but IF the rumors about RGIII are true. That he has some arrogance about him, that he's buddy buddy with the owner. That some of his teammates don't like him, hell, that's a fact. Listen to Garcons interviews, he's been irritated with Griffin since early in the year. Cousins starting is more about bringing RGIII back down to earth than anything else. We know the injury prevention is BS, we Robert would be better served by getting live rounds, so what could it be? I think Mike wanted to prove a point. That this offense works, that it isn't antiquated and yes Robert, you have a big hand in making it run poorly. 0 sacks in the past 2 games, Aldrick Robinson and our recently promoted KR are now included in the offense? Why? Because they're 3rd and 4th reads. Garcon had a banner game, why? Because Kirk is including others.

So I think RGIII needs a lot of humility and is getting it. The proof is in the pudding. Sure, we didn't win but the offense is clicking!
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:27 am

Cousins has prepped for and started 3 games for the Redskins and in those 3 starts he has passed for 800 yards, 6 TD with 4 INTs. His average stats per start are 260+ yards, 2 TDs and 1.3 INTs. If you compare his stats to the NFL leaders you'll find his yardage and TDs per start are up with leaders with the exception the best QB in the NFL only throw .7 INTs per game or half Cousins' 1.3 per start. Can Cousins reduce his interceptions in half with more experience and playing time with his receivers? I like his chances of getting his interception rate down and becoming a very effective starting QB in the NFL. The ball was thrown a little behind his receivers in each of the3 interceptions Cousins threw in his two starts this year. Given more practice and playing time with the starters I certainly believe Cousins can cut down on his interceptions, I wish Griffin's many shortcomings were as easily corrected but after 2 years if he hasn't learned to read defenses before the snap well enough to change protections I think it is questionable if he can master playing in the pocket well enough for the NFL.

Cousins is just better than Griffin because Cousins has demonstrated the skills to run a real NFL. With a little more experience and fining tuning to bring his picks per start down from 1.3 to .7.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:29 pm

I agree with CLL - Robert's benching is meant to be a wake up call - I'm glad to hear he's not happy about that

Robert has all the talent in the world and for him to take the next step he has to work with his coaches - we clearly saw him making some bad reads and bad play choices - these are things he did not work hard enough on or grow into the QB he could be that Mike and Kyle wanted

I'm really glad that we have a good QB in Cousins but we have a potentially great QB in Griffin - he has to work hard and trust his coaches to get there

I find it intriguing that Mike benched Robert so that he could get "the message" and would work harder this off season in order to be a better QB next season
why would Mike do that if he did not want to be the HC here next season?
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:08 pm

SkinsJock wrote:why would Mike do that if he did not want to be the HC here next season?

It's possible that he knows he's going to get fired and wanted to send one final "F U" to Griffin and/or Snyder.

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Skinsjock,

I hope you are correct and Shannahan will be back and there will be a real competition for the QB job. I think that keeping Shanny would be the smart thing to do but as shrewd and successful as Snyder has been at making money he has made a number of disastrous moves from win/loss standpoint. I think Shannahan finally benched Griffin because he knows he is going to be fired at the end of year and he is tired of dealing with Griffin. I don't think Shanny wanted to start the year with a gimpy Griffin or continue playing Griffin who doesn't know the most basic things about the pocket game and isn't mobile enough for 2012 style backyard ball but Shanny was forced to by Snyder. Finally, knowing he was going to get canned anyway he starts Cousins so he doesn't have deal with Griffin. Having Cousins run the offensive effectively demonstrating the system works it another motivator and rubbing Griffin's nose is Cousins' success is an added bonus.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:So I think RGIII needs a lot of humility and is getting it. The proof is in the pudding. Sure, we didn't win but the offense is clicking!

Really? Did you watch the fourth quarter against the Cowboys? :)

hah. I get your points about KC making third and fourth reads. I'm not entirely sure that is true though. Those deep balls to Robinson have definitely not been third and fourth reads.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:55 pm

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:So I think RGIII needs a lot of humility and is getting it. The proof is in the pudding. Sure, we didn't win but the offense is clicking!

hah. I get your points about KC making third and fourth reads. I'm not entirely sure that is true though. Those deep balls to Robinson have definitely not been third and fourth reads.

Not to.mention Garçon STILL being the only receiver open. Rgiii has spread the ball around just like kirk, and he's also gone to Garçon Reed and moss the majority.of the time.. since... well no one else gets open. Has Hanktime even had a catch since rgiii was taken out?
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Of course I blame.rgiii for.Robinson's drops... And credit cousins for his catches.. Smfh

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:57 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Not to.mention Garçon STILL being the only receiver open. Rgiii has spread the ball around just like kirk, and he's also gone to Garçon Reed and moss the majority.of the time.. since... well no one else gets open. Has Hanktime even had a catch since rgiii was taken out?

Aint that the truth. Sad part is we should just put up with those type of receivers again for one more year because oline especially needs fixing. That's just the offensive side.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football