Cousins Is Just Better...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:02 pm
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Neo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:00 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:This "controversy" is far from over if Cousins plays lights out against the Giants.

considering griffin played great vs them, minus all the damn drops he was awesome.. I say no.


Agreed. Plus it would only be one game. Cousins looked like a backup against the Cowpies. He's good, and destined to be a starter, but his greatness has yet to be developed. I do think he will become a great one.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog
Posts: 2053
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Neo wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:This "controversy" is far from over if Cousins plays lights out against the Giants.

considering griffin played great vs them, minus all the damn drops he was awesome.. I say no.


Agreed. Plus it would only be one game. Cousins looked like a backup against the Cowpies. He's good, and destined to be a starter, but his greatness has yet to be developed. I do think he will become a great one.


Well, unfortunately some people do not want to reminisce. They can't remember the dropsies. Point on NEO.

Hog
Posts: 2053
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:29 am

IMO I think Cousin is going to me much more like Jay Cutler than John Elway. Robert in reverse.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:02 pm
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Neo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:43 am

Kilmer72 wrote:IMO I think Cousin is going to me much more like Jay Cutler than John Elway. Robert in reverse.


I always imagined Robert would be Elway 2.0 under Shanny, but that hope quickly disappeared. He's got all the tools and ingredients to exceed Elway. Personally, I think his quality of coaching would dictate that.

BTW, I'm speaking moreso of a dedicated QB coach; don't think a head coach could focus on him without neglecting other players.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

08 Champ
Posts: 12910
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:18 am

there is little chance that Griff does not markedly improve and I doubt that we let Cousins go for just a high draft pick because we'd still need a quality back up
Hail to the Redskins

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4178
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby riggofan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:IMO I think Cousin is going to me much more like Jay Cutler than John Elway. Robert in reverse.


lol!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4118
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:03 pm

riggofan wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:IMO I think Cousin is going to me much more like Jay Cutler than John Elway. Robert in reverse.


lol!


Maybe Cousins (6-3, 210) can become a Bernie Kosar (6-5, 210). Just mobile enough. Good decision maker. Good but not great arm.

Griff's (6-2, 220) model should be Aaron Rodgers (6-2, 225).
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
Posts: 2053
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:14 pm

3. Kirk Cousins, QB - Kirk Cousins has one last shot to show the league what he can do this season. He’s played well so far, but has had moments where he’s struggled with turnovers. If Cousins can have a good performance against a good Giants secondary, then he could enhance his trade value. Watch for: Cousins ability to protect the football. He has four turnovers in the past two games, and he needs to try to have zero against the Giants.


http://riggosrag.com/2013/12/26/redskin ... s-watch/4/

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:56 am

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby VRIEL1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Several things come to mind but...

RG3 is currently better with the Spread/Read Option scheme.
Cousins is better in a traditional WCO as a pocket passer.

I think it boils down to what system you are wanting to run. or... which QB your going to hang your future on. Yes RG3 has the most potential but potential is worth a hill of beans if you never reach it. ie; Jason Campbell. So at this point I'd say Cousins is the better QB based off his training and experience in a pro system in college. and Since the NFL/Pros usually do not use a college style of ball then Cousins is the better choice. However if the Redskins are 100% sold on RG3 and he's the face of the team and there is no turning back then the team better find a Spread/Read Option coach to get the most out of him now while he's young and mobile. RG3 can always work on his pocket presence and reading defenses for later when he's forced to be a pocket passer like Vick and McNabb were.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:56 am

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby VRIEL1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
3. Kirk Cousins, QB - Kirk Cousins has one last shot to show the league what he can do this season. He’s played well so far, but has had moments where he’s struggled with turnovers. If Cousins can have a good performance against a good Giants secondary, then he could enhance his trade value. Watch for: Cousins ability to protect the football. He has four turnovers in the past two games, and he needs to try to have zero against the Giants.


http://riggosrag.com/2013/12/26/redskin ... s-watch/4/


4 games does not make a QB. In a traditional WCO Cousins is by far a better QB then RG3. I think if Cousins had 2 yrs with the WCO we would see a top ranked QB. No different then had RG3 stayed healthy and the team could utilize the Spread/Read Option like last year RG3 would still be a top ranked QB and we probably would be in the play offs.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:02 pm
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Neo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:31 pm

SkinsJock wrote:there is little chance that Griff does not markedly improve and I doubt that we let Cousins go for just a high draft pick because we'd still need a quality back up


Right but that will only work for so long. His contract will soon expire and I don't think we could buy him out in light of other crucial contracts/new signings.

I'd love to keep the Captain, I just don't think its going to be possible. Hoping as well that we get a high draft pick for him. My guess is a high 2nd rounder.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:02 pm
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Neo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:34 pm

VRIEL1 wrote:Several things come to mind but...

RG3 is currently better with the Spread/Read Option scheme.
Cousins is better in a traditional WCO as a pocket passer.


I think it boils down to what system you are wanting to run. or... which QB your going to hang your future on. Yes RG3 has the most potential but potential is worth a hill of beans if you never reach it. ie; Jason Campbell. So at this point I'd say Cousins is the better QB based off his training and experience in a pro system in college. and Since the NFL/Pros usually do not use a college style of ball then Cousins is the better choice. However if the Redskins are 100% sold on RG3 and he's the face of the team and there is no turning back then the team better find a Spread/Read Option coach to get the most out of him now while he's young and mobile. RG3 can always work on his pocket presence and reading defenses for later when he's forced to be a pocket passer like Vick and McNabb were.


Agreed, but I think RG3 will be much better next year in the pocket with an entire offseason & possible new coach to condition him.

All things considered, he played poor, great, and average all year, but that was him being thrown into the fire. Imagine what he will do with a full offseason & fully strengthened knee.

I'm glad this year is over, and believe our better days are soon to come.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:02 pm
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Neo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Neo wrote:
VRIEL1 wrote:Several things come to mind but...

RG3 is currently better with the Spread/Read Option scheme.
Cousins is better in a traditional WCO as a pocket passer.


I think it boils down to what system you are wanting to run. or... which QB your going to hang your future on. Yes RG3 has the most potential but potential is worth a hill of beans if you never reach it. ie; Jason Campbell. So at this point I'd say Cousins is the better QB based off his training and experience in a pro system in college. and Since the NFL/Pros usually do not use a college style of ball then Cousins is the better choice. However if the Redskins are 100% sold on RG3 and he's the face of the team and there is no turning back then the team better find a Spread/Read Option coach to get the most out of him now while he's young and mobile. RG3 can always work on his pocket presence and reading defenses for later when he's forced to be a pocket passer like Vick and McNabb were.


Agreed, but I think RG3 will be much better next year in the pocket with an entire offseason & possible new coach to condition him.

All things considered, he played poor, great, and average all year, but that was him being thrown into the fire. Imagine what he will do with a full offseason & fully strengthened knee.

I love Cousins, but if you take a close look at him, he makes a lot of Romo mistakes on passes. Defenders back off their guy, and Cousins takes the bait. He's going to be a great QB, but his mistakes will hamper his career value.

Cousins has a quick release, but his arm strength isn't what this team needs for deep threats. He's very smart, but again, his mistakes will overshadows his smarts in the long haul.

I'm glad this year is over, and believe our better days are soon to come.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

the 'mudge
Posts: 14235
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Countertrey » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:04 pm

... and, oh, by the way... Jason Campbell is no Bob... Bob hit more deep receivers in stride in 4 games his rookie season than Campbell has in his entire career. Jason Campbell NEVER demonstrated the ability to bring the team back in the 4th quarter... Nope. Not the same.

I see enough to convince me that Bob will develop.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
Posts: 2053
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:44 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
riggofan wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:IMO I think Cousin is going to me much more like Jay Cutler than John Elway. Robert in reverse.


lol!


Maybe Cousins (6-3, 210) can become a Bernie Kosar (6-5, 210). Just mobile enough. Good decision maker. Good but not great arm.

Griff's (6-2, 220) model should be Aaron Rodgers (6-2, 225).


I think he can be that good. That is an example that is pretty accurate. Kosar was a decent QB.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football