Cousins Is Just Better...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:44 am

Again I will say I would love to see what both of these QB's would do with Sean Payton as the HC. I know Cousins is good but he has thrown many picks and yesterday was no exception. The second half play calling was atrocious and it seems that the O line, was still being beat, #78 had a terrible game, seeing Polumbus always getting beat and pushed back is at this point funny. Kyle not being able to adjust to what the other team changes in the second half is where the main problem lies. Doesn't matter who is back at QB, we could have Peyton Manning back there but if Kyle is calling the plays and we don't have a QB who will audible because they aren't smart enough to change Kyle's call, then we lose, that has been proven loss after loss all season.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1143
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:44 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:I can't believe the people who keep praising Cousins when we lost the game to the worst defense/team in the league.

We lost games to worse passing defenses when Griffin started.

DaSkinz Baby wrote:When Cousins gets sacked and fumbles, its the lines fault. When RG3 gets sacked and fumbles it's his fault because he could not avoid the sack due to his newly constructed knee.

Look at the amount of sacks Griffin had over the past 4 weeks compared to what Cousins had yesterday. Did our o-line look "putrid" yesterday? Not at all.

DaSkinz Baby wrote:When Cousins throws 2 interceptions its overlooked, but when RG3 throws an interception its he can't read the defense.

Cousins also had his first full week of practice this week and it was only his 2nd career game started. Of course the INTs are going to be overlooked. The same thing gets done when Griffin throws picks. He gets even more of a pass on just about everything he does wrong.

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Stop the madness and stop turning a blind eye to your hypocrisy. Something is not right and honestly it's nothing to do with either RG3 or Kirk Cousins. It's the entire team!!!!!

I agree our whole team is bad. But at least our offense looked competitive yesterday.

Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:15 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I can't believe the people who keep praising Cousins when we lost the game to the worst defense/team in the league.

We lost games to worse passing defenses when Griffin started.

DaSkinz Baby wrote:When Cousins gets sacked and fumbles, its the lines fault. When RG3 gets sacked and fumbles it's his fault because he could not avoid the sack due to his newly constructed knee.

Look at the amount of sacks Griffin had over the past 4 weeks compared to what Cousins had yesterday. Did our o-line look "putrid" yesterday? Not at all.

DaSkinz Baby wrote:When Cousins throws 2 interceptions its overlooked, but when RG3 throws an interception its he can't read the defense.

Cousins also had his first full week of practice this week and it was only his 2nd career game started. Of course the INTs are going to be overlooked. The same thing gets done when Griffin throws picks. He gets even more of a pass on just about everything he does wrong.

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Stop the madness and stop turning a blind eye to your hypocrisy. Something is not right and honestly it's nothing to do with either RG3 or Kirk Cousins. It's the entire team!!!!!

I agree our whole team is bad. But at least our offense looked competitive yesterday.


StorminMormon86 I don't know what game you watched yesterday but did you not see #78 get owned? Did you not see Polumbus yet again get pushed into Cousins atleast 9 times? Cause I did. This offense looked competitive because Atlanta SUCKS! don't kid yourself. Did you also see Chester get blown up a couple times? I did! Yes Cousins appears to read defenses better and faster that RGIII, and I would hope he would because of the offensive systems he has been on since Freshman year at college, up until last year RGIII didn't even have a play book! So yes Kirk looked good and shielded some of what our lineman are unable to do BLOCK! :roll: But he too threw picks, and got the ball stripped. I am almost at a point of thinking that either we have serious haters on this team that simply don't like RGIII or either RGIII is a cancer and it's coming to light, hell even Dropsy Aldrick had catches yesterday, but maybe being in a dome had something to do with it as well....... :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4518
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:55 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:People also need to realize that Griffin played aganist worse defenses than Atlanta, and looked a lot worse than Cousins. Cousins proved how effective our offense can be when its run correctly. And stop with the 2 INTS nonsense. Morris fumbled the ball twice, Moss once (and the muffed punt return)...so it's not all on Cousins with the turnovers. Add on the fact that it was his first full week of practice, I'm not all that surprised that he threw picks.


You've got to be freaking kidding me. Atlanta is the 29th ranked defense in the league. They generated no pass rush and started three rookies in the secondary.

I really liked the way Cousins played for the most part yesterday, but his INTs were awful. I just like him in general. His post game comments were really smart, and you can tell he has good leadership qualities. He seems like a guy who can be successful.

All of these comments making judgements on him after one game against a TERRIBLE team are just ridiculous though. Give it a rest people.

Hog
Posts: 2145
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:59 pm

riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:People also need to realize that Griffin played aganist worse defenses than Atlanta, and looked a lot worse than Cousins. Cousins proved how effective our offense can be when its run correctly. And stop with the 2 INTS nonsense. Morris fumbled the ball twice, Moss once (and the muffed punt return)...so it's not all on Cousins with the turnovers. Add on the fact that it was his first full week of practice, I'm not all that surprised that he threw picks.


You've got to be freaking kidding me. Atlanta is the 29th ranked defense in the league. They generated no pass rush and started three rookies in the secondary.

I really liked the way Cousins played for the most part yesterday, but his INTs were awful. I just like him in general. His post game comments were really smart, and you can tell he has good leadership qualities. He seems like a guy who can be successful.

All of these comments making judgements on him after one game against a TERRIBLE team are just ridiculous though. Give it a rest people.


I'm afraid you are wasting your time Riggofan

DarthMonk
Posts: 4321
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:01 pm

oj wrote:
Countertrey wrote:The comparison is not accurate...
Cousins came to the Redskins as a polished pro-style quarterback. He's been developed as a pocket passer for 10 years.


Where is the 10year professional experience?


Straw man. Questioning a claim that was never made.

I'm guessing the 10 years of development as a pocket passer refers to 4 in high school, 4 in college, and 2 as a pro.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1143
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:28 pm

riggofan wrote:You've got to be freaking kidding me. Atlanta is the 29th ranked defense in the league. They generated no pass rush and started three rookies in the secondary.

You're wrong. They're the 24th ranked defense against the pass in the league. The Vikings, Eagles, and Cowboys are all worse and we lost to each of those teams. Does Cousins not deserve kudos based off of the fact that the Falcons are one of the worst defenses in the league? Absolutely not. It was only the 2nd game in his career! It amazes me how much this fanbase is divided.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13150
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:34 pm

the fans are NOT divided - there are a few fans that might think that Cousins is a better option at QB but there are not many

most of the fans are glad that we have 2 viable QBs and some even want to trade Cousins if we can get a high draft pick

there is NO QB controversy here - Robert has been benched and Cousins is starting these next 2 games

It is highly unlikely that Robert will not be given all the help and assistance he needs to be the starter here - that's what we traded up for :D
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1143
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:52 pm

I'm just seeing an awful lot of people who make excuses when Griffin has a bad game and then make more excuses when Cousins has a good one. It was only his 2nd game, I know. But he's thrown for 300+ yards in both games AND put us in a position to win both times. I'm impressed. Cooley was right. Cousins is the better pocket passer right now. Doesn't mean I'm done with Griffin or have given up on him. I just think if Cousins continues to do well there should be open competition next year.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby markshark84 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:01 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:For all you so called Redskins fans out there, saying Cousins is better than RGIII need to stop it. You were all singing RGIII's praise last year as he won us the Division. If you know anything about football, it should be crystal clear why Cousin's had a good game. 1. The play calling was completely different than when RGIII is in the game. How many times did you see the pistol formation? Zero! Kyle called 1 back sets, which gives you better protection. For those who don't know, in the pistol, you have less blocking and more receivers and you're more exposed as a qb. In a 1 back set, you have more protection and less receivers, thus making your progression reads a lot easier. 2. As you already know, the Falcons, Cowboys, & Giants all have subpar defenses. It is to be expected that Cousin's should have a good day. Exotic blitz packages will not be run by these next opponents, so there won't be much to worry about.


I think that much of this is true. I didn't see anything from Cousins against ATL that should cause people to conclude he's better than RGIII; however, he didn't play poor enough to close the discussion. That said, credit should be given for RGIII's play last year in leading us to winning the division.

However, as far as your play calling arguement (or at least as I understand it) ---- KS' playcalling was more a result of the fact KC is a different QB than RGIII. KC can't scramble like RGIII can (or should). Therefore, the playcalling was a result of tailoring an offense to KC --- the previous RGIII offensive sets were designed to take into consideration RGIII's superior scrambling ability and comfortablility in a shotgun formation (and the fact they were very successful the previous season with RGIII). KS has tried to put both RGIII and KC in positions to run offenses tailored to their style --- so I wouldn't consider the different offensive sets as an advantage KC had that RGIII didn't. On the other end, KC didn't have as many offensive options due to the protection and the pistol offense is designed for quicker release plays so protection is less of a premium.

And as far as #2, I agree that ATL, DAL, and NYG have below average defenses. Personally, that is why I believe MS is starting KC ---- so that he will put up big numbers against poor defenses to increase his trade value (since it has been hurt in his relief play this season). That said, RGIII has already played DAL and NYG and put up poor numbers:
- DAL: 19-39, 246 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 77 yrds rushing, 37.2 QBR, and 16 offensive points
- NYG: 24-32, 207 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 88 yrds rushing, 46.9 QBR, and 17 offensive points

It will be interesting to see what type of numbers KC puts up against these 2 teams and compare the 2. Since RGIII played one at home and one away -- as will KC -- the collective numbers will be very comparable.

That all being said, I'm not sure how anyone could conclude after 3 games -- no matter what KC does -- that RGIII isn't the clear #1 in week 1, 2014. If KC does light it up against DAL and NYG, RGIII may have a shorter leash, though.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13150
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:12 pm

some fans are trying to make too much about this …

I expect that Cousins will be given all the help and assistance he can to be as good as a QB as he can be

Some think that Cousins might even be better than Griffin - I just don't see that happening
there is a very small chance that Cousins will prove to be the better choice at QB next season - VERY small :D

Griffin is an olympic caliber track athlete, that is a very small, very gifted group

Griffin will be going through a lot this offseason to improve his play - Cousins is already doing as well as he can

I'm expecting a huge improvement from Griffin in how he plays QB - Cousins is already where he's going to be and is just gaining experience


Let's compare the 2 - next season Griffin will be faster, have a stronger arm and make better decisions than Cousins :D
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4518
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:12 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
riggofan wrote:You've got to be freaking kidding me. Atlanta is the 29th ranked defense in the league. They generated no pass rush and started three rookies in the secondary.

You're wrong. They're the 24th ranked defense against the pass in the league. The Vikings, Eagles, and Cowboys are all worse and we lost to each of those teams. Does Cousins not deserve kudos based off of the fact that the Falcons are one of the worst defenses in the league? Absolutely not. It was only the 2nd game in his career! It amazes me how much this fanbase is divided.


I completely agree that he deserves "kudos" whatever that is for playing pretty well yesterday. I really like Cousins and thought he played really well for the most part. Its not a question of liking RGIII more or the fanbase being divided. Its a question of fans making ridiculous pronouncements about Cousins v. RGIII after one incredibly meaningless game against a terrible team. The Falcons are ranked 24th against the pass not just 29th in overall defense??? Who gives a flying fart? They are TERRIBLE. They allow 31 points per game. Its an embarrassment that we lost to them. How sad it is that we gave up seven turnovers, lost to this atrocious team and we're talking about how well Kirk Cousins played?

Say what you will about the Vikings, Eagles and Cowboys. The Eagles and Cowboys are both in playoff contention. The Vikings just beat Philly, Chicago and came close to beating Baltimore and Green Bay. Sorry, but we're not all idiots who would believe your statement that the Falcons are better than ANY of those teams. Frankly, the only team worse than Atlanta is the Washington Redskins.

I would love to visit this website today and talk about how well Cousins played. Unfortunately, I log in and have to read dumb*** comments like "Kirk Cousins is clearly far ahead of RGIII in his development as a QB". I knew it was coming, but its no less irritating to watch it happen exactly as we all expected.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4518
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:I'm afraid you are wasting your time Riggofan


I know I know. I probably need to block this website until like Friday afternoon.

I just got out of the car listening to people calling into the radio talking about how we're definitely getting a #1 pick for Cousins now after that game.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1143
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:53 pm

riggofan wrote:I completely agree that he deserves "kudos" whatever that is for playing pretty well yesterday. I really like Cousins and thought he played really well for the most part. Its not a question of liking RGIII more or the fanbase being divided. Its a question of fans making ridiculous pronouncements about Cousins v. RGIII after one incredibly meaningless game against a terrible team. The Falcons are ranked 24th against the pass not just 29th in overall defense??? Who gives a flying fart? They are TERRIBLE. They allow 31 points per game. Its an embarrassment that we lost to them. How sad it is that we gave up seven turnovers, lost to this atrocious team and we're talking about how well Kirk Cousins played?

Say what you will about the Vikings, Eagles and Cowboys. The Eagles and Cowboys are both in playoff contention. The Vikings just beat Philly, Chicago and came close to beating Baltimore and Green Bay. Sorry, but we're not all idiots who would believe your statement that the Falcons are better than ANY of those teams. Frankly, the only team worse than Atlanta is the Washington Redskins.

I would love to visit this website today and talk about how well Cousins played. Unfortunately, I log in and have to read dumb*** comments like "Kirk Cousins is clearly far ahead of RGIII in his development as a QB". I knew it was coming, but its no less irritating to watch it happen exactly as we all expected.

I get what you're saying and I agree for the most part. Griffin played medicore to sub-par in the majority of the games this year. But when he played well (against Chargers, Vikings, Giants) why were there no posts about how it should be expected because those teams defenses suck? It was all about Griffin coming back to his old self. Cousins has a good game and it's just because the defense sucked.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13150
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm

I still think you're over reacting to this - most of us feel that we're very lucky that Mike saw the value and took Cousins even though he already had a QB

there is no big mystery here - Kirk and Robert are both becoming good NFL QBs and the fact that Robert is struggling while Kirk is not is not a big deal

Robert offers more upside, he's got a much better arm, he's very fast and can move well PLUS he's a very intelligent kid - he just has some stuff that he needs to get better at in order to become a really good QB - everyone that knows QBs sees these qualities and knows that he will be a very good QB in time

Cousins is already very familiar with the pocket passing game and the plays that we run when he's in there are designed to be better suited to his game

the fact that Kyle would have a different offense for both QBs is not surprising - it's what OCs do

there is no competition here - Robert has been benched because he's not as effective running the plays that Kyle and Mike want to run

Kirk is benefitting from the fact that we're out of the running and Robert has been benched - he MIGHT even have got time if we were in the running but it's VERY doubtful BECAUSE if we were in the playoff chase that would mean that Robert was playing QB better - he's not, so here we are

Robert will work his way back into the starting position because he has more ability and talent than Kirk - it's all good - they're both here :D
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football