Cousins Is Just Better...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby Deadskins » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:17 pm

RayNAustin wrote:The real issue at hand here is that should Cousins actually beat out Robert for the starting job, RG3 will instantly become the most disastrous trade decision the Redskins have ever made. Is anyone in the driver seat willing to bite that bullet? I don't think so. At least not anytime soon .... that would only happen in an extreme circumstance.

A HC change would be that extreme circumstance. But I don't agree that the RG3 deal would instantly become the worst because we could surely get good value back in a trade.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby gushogs » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:44 pm

After last week's media hoopla and going bezerk on Sunday after the Skins L, I was trying to think about the Skins, past, present and future with a clear mind, but I just simply cann't.

In this particular topic, I think Kirk should not be traded.

HaiL,
Another year of asking for PATIENCE..., 20 yrs not long enough?????

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:10 pm

RayNAustin wrote:Sunday's game was awefully revealing, and is causing me to rethink my opinion just a bit. The fumble was a breakdown by the oline, and can happen to any QB. The two picks were poor decisions-throws, but this was Cousins first action since last year, and only his second start
Actually, the picks were GREAT decisions... but lousy throws... the picks were a failure of technique... but not of mental process...

This only speaks to my point that Cousins is a fundamentally very solid pro-style quarterback, with deceptive physical skills, and a pretty darned strong arm.

He will improve... but I still believe that he's a lot closer to his (very good to excellent, probably Pro Bowl calliber) ceiling, than Bob, who has farther to go... but has the potential... the physical tools, the discipline, and the sharp intellect.. to be one of the best ever. :-k
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:30 pm

All it takes is one awe sh@t to wipe out all those atta boys. How quickly some forget.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:15 am

I don't understand how after two games Cousins is approaching his ceiling...for all we know he could be just a flash in the pan and suck (highly doubtful based off of his two starting performances), but then again his ceiling could be much, much higher than we're giving him credit for.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:35 am

Looks like most people are talking sense in the thread, which is good.

I love Cousins. Love him. But we should recognize that this was (a) one game against (b) a very bad defense where (c) he still made a few bad decisions. On the whole, he had a great game, of course. But those qualifiers are just reason to hold off on the "Start Cousins in 2014" line of thought.

IMHO, Griffin's deep ball and middle-range throws had just as much accuracy last year, and probably more, than what we saw from Cousins on Sunday. Let's not forget that he was a threat as a passer in 2012 at least as much as he was a running threat. Yes, that hasn't been there this year, except in rare flashes. It sucks. But I remain optimistic for 2014 and beyond. I completely agree with those who are saying he still could become the best we've ever seen in burgundy and gold.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:52 am

Since FFA said people are being sensible in this thread, I'll throw in some information. I dont have time to comb thru this thread to see if this has been mentioned or not.

According to this article (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/ ... rk-cousins), it took Kirk 3.3 seconds to get one of his passes off, others it took less than two seconds. In that time span, the pocket was clean and he wasn't hit. I bring that up because Kirk operated under center, where Robert operates from the Pistol. According to Cooley and the laws of reality, RGIII has to take his eyes off of the defense when receiving the snap from the Pistol. That's time taken away from reading the defense, and making his progressions. This is a game of seconds, inches, centimeters, fractions of a second. It's not surprising that this SMALL (in terms of length/time) aspect of his game could have huge consequences on the entire offense. RGIII's problems this year are layered, it's not really a bad thing because they can all be fixed. Fixing one or two problems will have a ripple effect.

It actually makes me feel better. It's not just magic, it's not actions that we can't understand as laymen. We, if we choose to take the time can understand what the real issues are. It provides a roadmap and a tangigle sense of potential progression.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:48 pm

WOW - now that's ^^^ a great post …

Robert is incredibly talented in the key areas - he's VERY fast, he's got a VERY strong arm and he's VERY bright/intelligent

he just needs to be coached up and he needs to really buy into what the coaches are trying to help him with

He's certainly not lazy or distracted by what is happening around him - he just needs to apply himself better and trust the guys that are helping him
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Got a choice to make here option 1 or option 2.

Option 1:

PRO: Supremely athletic before injury and is mending. Very strong arm, able to scramble and run to extend plays and is a feared take it to the house running thread when healthy. Was able to turn NFL games into backyard style games during the second half of the 2012 season and merchandise sales were tremendous.

CONS: A diva who is hard to coach and manage and has undermined team unity. Has had major accuracy problems this season perhaps due his injury. His absolute lack of pocket passing skills have been fully exposed this season and efforts to develop basic pocket passing skills have not produced results thus far. Will need to develop the technique, rapid analysis and decision making ability to become a pocket passer to sustain an NFL career, the early returns on efforts to develop these skills are not encouraging.

Option 2:

PRO: Quality college pro style quarterback who has flashed NFL level skills in very limited action. Off the chart intangibles and leadership, very accurate analysis and decisive decision maker despite limited experience. Confident but humble team player and supportive leader. Can throw on the move and move well in the pocket, limited running ability. Average NFL arm strength with good accuracy. Had two fine deep throws in last start. Has thrown 3 interceptions in his two NFL starts with over 700 yards and 6 touchdowns. Adjusts the protection and releases quickly so he doesn't get sacked much.

CON: Very limited data due to only 2 starts in two seasons. Three interceptions in two starts, only average NFL arm strength. Not a running threat.

Summary:

Option 2 looks much more effective at the NFL level in his 2 starts than Option 1 has looked over his 26 NFL starts. Option 2 will never become a run threat or a great scrambler but he operates very quickly and effective in the pocket with quick accurate decisions and good short, medium and deep passes. His two long TD throws in his second start were the best deep threat passes of the entire season. Option 2 needs more opportunities and coaching to see if he can eliminate the interceptions and consistently deliver his otherwise high level performances.

Option 1 has special and unique athletic gifts but until he becomes an effective NFL pocket passer he will remain a hindrance to the team. His college option style game is not sustainable over an 19 to 20 game NFL season as the team learned in 2012 and developing him into a pocket passer is a major project judging from the lack of improvement during his 13 starts in 2013. The 2013 season was sacrificed to rehabilitation of Option 1 and he did not progress.

Recommendation:

Start Option 2 in the remaining 2 games. If he continues to perform well announce that there will be an open competition for the starting job in 2014. Use draft picks to enhance pocket style offense and improve the defense. If Option 1 throws a fit tell him he can use his off season to prepare to win the job or enhance his trade value but the Redskins are going to play the QB that gives them the best chance to win going forward and it is unclear whether that is Option 1 or Option 2 and he needs to shut his mouth and man up for the competition.
Last edited by OldSchool on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:23 pm

:roll:

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Sometimes, I read posts on here that convince me to experiment with mind altering drugs.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Option 1: Ignore the troll.

Option 2: Engage the troll.

Anyone who selects option 2 will be murderfied.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:19 pm

PulpExposure wrote:Option 1: Ignore the troll.

:lol:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:50 pm

PulpExposure wrote:Option 1: Ignore the troll.

I limited myself to an eyeroll. Hope that spares me murderfication.

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:55 pm

What is about posters on this board and personal attacks? I get it that many of you are deeply emotionally invested in Griffin but the title of this thread is "Cousins Is Just Better" so ignoring the topic is easy. If you like what we've gotten from Griffin and are excited at the prospect of more good for you, I am not and I don't think he's going get much better any time soon, at least not in the pocket.

Looks to me Shannahan wants to check out Cousins also, I am not buying the rest Robert rationale, I think Shannahan is embarrassed by Griffin's lack of progress. Shannahan might also be tired of dealing with Griffin and wants to finish out the year without having dealing with Griffin if he thinks he is going to be fired. Whatever his motivation I think this is long overdue, even if Cousins comes up short in replacing Griffin I think Griffin will benefit from watching Cousins make the offense work and be motivated to listen and learn.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football