Next Monday

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Re: Next Monday

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Mike has been in charge of getting this franchise out of the mess created by Dan - the current state of this franchise is better but it still needs more work
if Dan is in charge here it will most definitely go downhill again

Now if Mike gets fired and someone other than Dan Snyder finds a HC and gets Dan to hire him that is a good thing ...

but how many good coaches are going to sign a contract with an owner that will not be bound by that contract

the next HC better get a prenup deal in place so that the penalty for breaking the contract is like $50 million
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Countertrey wrote:Monday will come and go without event.
Shanahan will coach next year.
Nothing to see here.

I think it is too late for this Countertrey. If by some miracle Mike is still here then I would assume there was no one else available. Mike doesn't like being forced to
fire his coaches and I don't blame him but, most of his coaches need replacing. I doubt he is still here. I would have loved to have had some success this year without all the drama. It
points to Mike in almost all of our failures. Why do you think this?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:58 pm

OK - Does anyone think that some other HC has a better chance at getting things together here than Mike? If so who and why?

I'm not saying that Mike is the best HC but he's here and he's not a bad HC - this franchise still has a little way to go before we have a consistently competitive product - and he (with some help) has improved our situation since 2009
we have a better shot at seeing some improvement here with Mike in charge of things for another year and adding some new assistants and players

I don't like the idea of change just for the sake of change - it's a distraction and there is not enough that things will be a lot different with someone else in charge
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:57 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:The franchise is in MUCH worse shape than it was when Shanahan arrived. God.

Please! You don't really believe that, do you?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:17 am

Should Shannahan be fired? That depends on his role in the decision to spend 3 first round and 1 second round pick on Griffin. If he urged Snyder to sign off on this huge gamble than absolutely he deserves to go for the crazy move. If on the other hand Shanny tried to dissuade a headstrong owner from going all in another "mega deal" and Shanny's role in the debacle was limited to doing his best to make Snyder's big Griffin gamble work than I think he deserves another year.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:59 am

This "myth" about no one wanting to come coach here needs to end. With Snyder's money and the Skins being a major market team, I think the possibilities are a lot better that we can get a good coach than others seem to think.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:14 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:This "myth" about no one wanting to come coach here needs to end. With Snyder's money and the Skins being a major market team, I think the possibilities are a lot better that we can get a good coach than others seem to think.

most here are not worried about getting a great HC - no decent HC can work with players while Snyder is interfering ...

you most likely think that Mike's record is SOLELY due to him not being a good enough HC - you would be wrong

IMO Mike is not a really good HC but he'd be a lot better if he's allowed to run things here as he and Snyder agreed to

we'll soon find out - Mike is not going to want to come back if he's being handicapped by Snyder's interfering and will most likely get himself fired on Monday

if not - he and Snyder will have another year together

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:14 pm

SkinsJock wrote:you most likely think that Mike's record is SOLELY due to him not being a good enough HC - you would be wrong

Never said that, but since you love talking in circles without making any sense this doesn't surprise me.
SkinsJock wrote:IMO Mike is not a really good HC but he'd be a lot better if he's allowed to run things here as he and Snyder agreed to

He has been running the show since year 1. Snyder may be a horrible bass turd who's screwed this team over in previous years, but EVERYTHING that's been done football related since Shanahan's arrival has been Shanahan. He brought the coaching staff, he changed the defense, he brought McNabb, he stuck with Grossman/Beck, he drafted Griffin, he upgraded the Skins training facility. He had total control during his tenure. And he's failed at just about everything. He needs to go.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:32 pm

SkinsJock wrote:OK - Does anyone think that some other HC has a better chance at getting things together here than Mike? If so who and why?

I think there are probably several coaches who have a better chance than Mike at this point. Why? Because of the past four years, Mike's record over those years, his history with RGIII, this PR mess he created over the past few weeks, whatever issues he has with Snyder, etc; I think Shanahan has a lot to overcome off the field.

The problem with bringing in a new coach is the whole starting from scratch thing. Personally, I just don't know how ready for that I am. I've been really patient during Shanahan's tenure, because I think the franchise was a terrible mess that needed cleaned up. To get to the end of that with little to show for it, facing another rebuild kind of sucks.

Guess we'll find out soon enough what its going to be.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:22 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:you most likely think that Mike's record is SOLELY due to him not being a good enough HC - you would be wrong

Never said that, but since you love talking in circles without making any sense this doesn't surprise me.
SkinsJock wrote:IMO Mike is not a really good HC but he'd be a lot better if he's allowed to run things here as he and Snyder agreed to

He has been running the show since year 1. Snyder may be a horrible bass turd who's screwed this team over in previous years, but EVERYTHING that's been done football related since Shanahan's arrival has been Shanahan. He brought the coaching staff, he changed the defense, he brought McNabb, he stuck with Grossman/Beck, he drafted Griffin, he upgraded the Skins training facility. He had total control during his tenure. And he's failed at just about everything. He needs to go.

If you're implying that Snyder has not interfered with or undermined Mike's coaching in any way then that would mean that Mike might not leave

Mike is only leaving if he does not feel that Dan is fully supportive of all that he's doing

I do think we can get better coaching but at this time I don't think the change is helpful and I certainly hope that Snyder's not involved

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:59 pm

I doubt that any of us know who really said and did what in the Redskins organization. I don't know, and I'm equally certain that the Washington Post "reporters" are just publishing whatever leaks they are given. I even suspect that each reporter has a fictional story they are building, and that they choose the leaks to fit their story.

Some say that Shanahan is trying to get Snyder to fire him. Some say that Snyder wants to fire Shanahan without having to pay next year's salary. Some say that Snyder has undermined Shanahan.

A few of us are old enough to remember George Preston Marshall and his coaches, Joe Kuharich and Mike Nixon, and then Bill McPeak and Otto Graham...I know Graham was the choice of Edward Bennett Williams, who ran the team after Marshall had a stroke or something like it.

Those were terrible times, and you can look up the record, 1958 - 1968, to get a sense of just how bad it was. New coaches, annual futility until Lombardi and finally "Crazy" George Allen got the team playing well.

The Snyder years look just as dismal, except for the four seasons of Joe Gibbs.

Therefore:

- I hope Shanahan stays because rebuilding has gotten tiresome and because

- I doubt that Snyder would hire someone competent to replace Shanahan

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:53 pm

SkinsJock wrote:If you're implying that Snyder has not interfered with or undermined Mike's coaching in any way then that would mean that Mike might not leave

This right here is the main reason he has to be fired. Snyder hasn't meddled since Shanahan's been here. The whole failure of this team rests squarely on Shanahan's shoulders. He needs to go.

SkinsJock wrote:Mike is only leaving if he does not feel that Dan is fully supportive of all that he's doing

He can't "leave". He'll be fired on Monday.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:54 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:The problem with bringing in a new coach is the whole starting from scratch thing.

Andy Reid. No more cap penalty. These two things make me hopeful that a new coach can come right in and make us contenders again.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:45 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:If you're implying that Snyder has not interfered with or undermined Mike's coaching in any way then that would mean that Mike might not leave

This right here is the main reason he has to be fired. Snyder hasn't meddled since Shanahan's been here. The whole failure of this team rests squarely on Shanahan's shoulders. He needs to go.

SkinsJock wrote:Mike is only leaving if he does not feel that Dan is fully supportive of all that he's doing

He can't "leave". He'll be fired on Monday.

LMAO!! Stormin very funny

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:24 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Andy Reid. No more cap penalty.
These two things make me hopeful that a new coach can come right in and make us contenders again.

this type of thinking has no place here - Andy Reid went to a franchise with so many good things in place - the Chiefs are not better JUST because of Andy Reid

you really do not think that the Redskins franchise is as close to being ready to be competitive as the chiefs were - please confirm this

this is the sort of thinking that really worries me - fans that do not understand and think that all we need to do is bring in a good HC like Andy Reid and we'll be better

bringing in a better HC than Mike is more of a gamble than giving Mike 1 more season

we do need better coaching and we will benefit from the cap position that Mike & Bruce have put us in ...

we do not need to get rid of Mike to benefit from both those things

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football