Kyle says RG3 will be fine if he has to learn new system

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Kyle says RG3 will be fine if he has to learn new system

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:53 pm

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-w ... ocid=yahoo

It seems unlikely that Kyle Shanahan will be around to coach Robert Griffin III this offseason. A new coaching staff will mean that Griffin will have to learn a new offensive system. Some have expressed concern that Griffin may struggle if he has to spend an offseason working on new plays and terminology rather than honing his skills working in the current system.

But Shanahan expressed confidence that Griffin would be able to pick up a news system without much difficulty. In fact, he says, systems don’t matter that much.

“Robert’s a smart guy,” the Redskins’ offensive coordinator said on Thursday. “Robert’s going to be able to learn any system that someone gives him. I think systems are a little bit overrated. This isn’t physics or anything. It is football and it can be tough if you don’t work at it, but Robert works at it. He’ll give it his full effort and if you do that you’re going to pick stuff up.”

Nice Read for the Robert doubters.

Hog

Re: Kyle says RG3 will be fine if he has to learn new system

Postby OldSchool » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:31 pm

The right thing for to say Kyle has decades of time in the league ahead him so it is smart to be diplomatic. That said, the RG3Firsts1Second party line next year to excuse Griffin's lack of pocket expertise is going to be "Robert is learning a new system."

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:17 pm

:feedback; people :feedback;

If the resident troll can give a little praise for Kyle being PC on Robert then someone else should speak up.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:41 pm

Seems reasonable.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:14 am

I think all systems are gimmicks that only need a season of film and offseason of study for the opposition to counteract.

Bob will be fine.

I think the injury last year was a wake up call to the whole team. The poor play is evidence that the team has lost faith in the scheme. Though not the only reason for poor play.

I think a new scheme will grown Griff into the legendary player we all hope he will become.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:21 am

KS seems to have a grip on reality at least...seems to be insinuating that RG3 WILL be learning a new scheme.

Hopefully its one that develops him more and more as a scramble to throw QB, and not a scramble to run QB.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:40 am

Everyone knows that RG3 is going to be a really good QB no matter what - he did not have a good year but he will put in the work to ensure he plays better next season

I'm looking for a lot of those huge smiley faces on the sidelines next season :D
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Neo wrote:I think all systems are gimmicks that only need a season of film and offseason of study for the opposition to counteract.

Bob will be fine.

I think the injury last year was a wake up call to the whole team. The poor play is evidence that the team has lost faith in the scheme. Though not the only reason for poor play.

I think a new scheme will grown Griff into the legendary player we all hope he will become.

I think you hit the nail on the head. He was carrying this team last year. He will get there again. It is amazing what one player can do when he is playing leaps and bounds beyond average.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
Neo wrote:I think all systems are gimmicks that only need a season of film and offseason of study for the opposition to counteract.

Bob will be fine.

I think you hit the nail on the head. He was carrying this time last year. He will get there again. It is amazing what one player can do when he is playing leaps and bounds beyond average.

Thanks man, and I agree with you as well.

To me, it seemed RG3 inspired the team last year; his relentless fight even in the face of the hits he was taking made everyone come together. Hopefully him playing with a weakened knee (that's how I see it...not injured, just still strengthening) will inspire this team to fight for him even more next year.

Yes, Garcon was injured during our loosing streak, but that also adds to your comment of how much of a difference one player can make on a team.

I think Garcon is a #1 WR. I would like to see us snag up another #1 WR to be opposite of Garcon. Have those two burning DBs all year.

Griff needed a lesson in humility. Not because I think he is vain, but because humility will clear his head to be more thorough in this training this offseason.

The positive news (hopefully) of a new coaching staff will help keep the drama out of the locker room while these guys pull themselves together.

I'll never give up on this team. I don't care how bad they play for how long. This is the hill I'll die on. I still don't think next year is "our year", but if we make wise decisions this offseason, we will be looking good and at least making a wildcard playoff appearance. More wise decisions the following year, and we're a powerhouse.

When we win it all, this grown man is going to cry his @$$ off proudly :)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:12 pm

are you guys kidding me or are you just blind Redskins fans - last year, RG3 had a very good year but a whole lot of good things happened around him as well ...
RG3 was not the main reason for our winning the NFC East - he played great but he was just a part of a very good effort on many players and coaches parts as well

RG3 was not the sole reason for our bad record this season although his play at QB certainly did not help much either

RG3 is still developing as an NFL QB and I'm sure he will become the best to ever play in a Redskins uniform but he has a lot of work to do to get there

He's not just going to become a great QB because he's so talented -
he's going to have to work his butt off and he's going to need to have good coaching and good players around him

NFL players do not need a "dose of humility" - they're ALL incredibly talented and they play a game in front of huge crowds

RG3 will be fine - he just did not have the time to grow and develop into a more rounded QB

give me a break
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:13 am

SkinsJock wrote:are you guys kidding me or are you just blind Redskins fans - last year, RG3 had a very good year but a whole lot of good things happened around him as well ...
RG3 was not the main reason for our winning the NFC East - he played great but he was just a part of a very good effort on many players and coaches parts as well

RG3 was not the sole reason for our bad record this season although his play at QB certainly did not help much either

RG3 is still developing as an NFL QB and I'm sure he will become the best to ever play in a Redskins uniform but he has a lot of work to do to get there

he's going to have to work his butt off and he's going to need to have good coaching and good players around him

NFL players do not need a "dose of humility" - they're ALL incredibly talented and they play a game in front of huge crowds

RG3 will be fine - he just did not have the time to grow and develop into a more rounded QB

give me a break

I don't disagree with this.

Sorry if I was unclear, but my thoughts have always been that RG3 inspired the team, and as a team, they all played better. Even the line was looking decent last year; at some points they even looked great.

Whatever "dis-inspired" the team contributed to what we have this year. I think we would be in denial if we didn't acknowledge that this was likely due to Robert's injury and lack of offseason. The team was developing around Cousins during that time. Whatever happened in there/from there, only the guys on the inside know.

The only thing I guess I could disagree with you on is the humility statement. You can't teach an arrogant person. Not saying RG3 is completely arrogant, but some things he's said this year, I interpreted as him being arrogant from time to time. Sure, I could be wrong, but its not illogical for a kid with this level of talent to feel frustrated and have his moments.

Any bit of "back to reality" a gifted player receives is for their ultimate good. Someone who thinks they are the best and doesn't need coaching (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... this-game/) is going to cause division with the team, and hamper their own growth. Anyone who realizes that maybe they need some minor fixes to their game is going to be eager to receive input from others. To be fair, I believe Robert clarified those statements, but he said what he said clearly...all else is damage control.

I linked the article above that made me quite nervous this year, but hopefully that's all behind him now and he's hungry to grow with the team some more.

To wrap this up, I think RG3 will have moments where he's going to act his age. Having a dose of humility this year was great for him, as it hopefully will mature him faster as a player.

I believe that he will grow/mature, and this year's failure is going to speed up the process for him. Its the gas on his fire, if you will.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:20 am

SkinsJock wrote:are you guys kidding me or are you just blind Redskins fans - last year, RG3 had a very good year but a whole lot of good things happened around him as well ...

give me a break

:shock:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:35 pm

OldSchool wrote:The right thing for to say Kyle has decades of time in the league ahead him so it is smart to be diplomatic. That said, the RG3Firsts1Second party line next year to excuse Griffin's lack of pocket expertise is going to be "Robert is learning a new system."

Yep, that's exactly what happened to Cam Newton after his sophomore slump. Oh wait, no it's not. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:14 pm

he'll be fine
Last edited by brad7686 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Deadskins wrote:
OldSchool wrote:The right thing for to say Kyle has decades of time in the league ahead him so it is smart to be diplomatic. That said, the RG3Firsts1Second party line next year to excuse Griffin's lack of pocket expertise is going to be "Robert is learning a new system."

Yep, that's exactly what happened to Cam Newton after his sophomore slump. Oh wait, no it's not. :roll:

+1

Over the past 15yrs of the Snyder reign, I think we have learned first hand from this team (if not other teams) is that the NFL is completely unpredictable. Completely.

We've signed an FA roster's in the past that were the best in the league "on paper"...no consistent winning.

We've hired star coaches who didn't produce anywhere near what their names suggested.

The list can go on...

This doesn't mean that we're doomed to fail, it just means we try to make sense of things so that the "what ifs" are a little more bearable until we witness it first hand.

No one can say how Griff will play next year or end up in the long run. We have hopes and logical conclusions that point to him being successful, but there's absolutely no way to predict the actuality of the situation until the situation is here.

Same goes for the success of our future coaches.

I don't see this as a negative though; it can keep us optimistic in the areas we want to be optimistic in, and it can help us cope with the possibility of them hiring someone we didn't expect (or initially like)...they may surprise us with success (or not, but I like the version better).

That concludes today's psychology lesson :) Offseason is my time of blissful ignorance. Could you imagine how miserable we would have been last offseason if we somehow knew we would have the season we just had? At least we're 0-0 again :)

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football