Mike Shanahan Fired Officially

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Mike Shanahan Fired Officially

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:04 pm

Players like Leribeus that are in Mikes dog house might flourish under a new staff and approach to the Oline.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Players like Leribeus that are in Mikes dog house might flourish under a new staff and approach to the Oline.

Any modern coach is going to be pretty mad at a player who isn't even bothered to report in football shape. But maybe a different coach would make sure that he DOES report in football shape.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:37 pm

riggofan wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:Agreed. I am much more optimistic about our chances for near-future success than I was following Zorn's tenure.

Great comment, man. I had not thought about it that way, but this sums it up. When Zorn left, I just expected we were in for a long haul rebuild. I don't think it has to be that way this time around, especially with Allen staying in place.

Giving Shanahan the benefit of the doubt that he would be successful, I didn't expect any substantial, sustainable success until year three or so. I thought we had that when we won the NFC East last year.

A successful new head coach will be able to conduct a big turnaround with this team in just one year. We don't necessarily have to make the playoffs, but it should really be coming down to the last game or two to decide that. We should be looking good at the end of the year and be the kind of team people are saying everyone else should "watch out for" in 2015.

Not even Vince Lombardi or Joe Gibbs could have guided Zorn's leftovers to a successful follow-up season.

I really think that difference is thanks to Mike. But maybe I am a little soft on him. Who knows.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Players like Leribeus that are in Mikes dog house might flourish under a new staff and approach to the Oline.

Here's hoping sixty extra pounds of flub get that message.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:47 pm

Any rational fan should be able to give them the credit now. And give them credit for where they fell short. Whoever comes in has a ROTY at QB, a solid backup, a #1 WR and an amazing RB selected as an alternate to the probowl. This team now has an indoor facility, new training camp facilities and the list continues. It's a solid foundation.[/quote]

I think I am a rational fan, the problem I have is other than Kerrigan and RGIII what other draft picks can I look at and say yeah this franchise is in a better position going forward? All the lineman drafted haven't played. I don't know if Rambo is worth the pick or was it just terrible coaching? Too many negatives for me to say without some doubt that this team is better! BTW we don't know if RGIII will ever be the same or better with our next coaching staff, and Red Lobster not manning up and not playing him in last year's Playoff Game might be the worst decision that might haunt us for years to come. So yeah I think my reservations and thought process is spot on based on the many things that went bad compared to a bit of potential we may have........

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:48 pm

And its official. Shanahan keeping his $7M for not coaching next year too! What a heist!

I normally wouldn't hold it against a guy when they're fired like this, but Shanahan clearly quit. No way does he deserve that paycheck.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:54 pm

riggofan wrote:And its official. Shanahan keeping his $7M for not coaching next year too! What a heist!

I normally wouldn't hold it against a guy when they're fired like this, but Shanahan clearly quit. No way does he deserve that paycheck.

I still think he quit last year right before the winning streak. He was just collecting a check and tried to save face. Just my opinion.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:54 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think I am a rational fan, the problem I have is other than Kerrigan and RGIII what other draft picks can I look at and say yeah this franchise is in a better position going forward?

uh Alfred Morris? Jordan Reed? Perry Riley? Jarvis Jenkins? Roy Helu? Kirk Cousins? David Amerson? I don't know about Rambo, but Philip Thomas was looking promising in the preseason.

The draft picks though aren't the only reason the team is in better position going forward. Shanahan/Allen straightening out our books, killing all of the dead cap space and bad contracts is a big part of it. Not restructuring and overpaying guys like Clinton Portis year after year. All of that boring stuff is why we're in much better shape than we were when Zorn left.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:58 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
riggofan wrote:And its official. Shanahan keeping his $7M for not coaching next year too! What a heist!

I still think he quit last year right before the winning streak. He was just collecting a check and tried to save face. Just my opinion.

I guess its possible. I'm looking a couple weeks back though when these Schefter leaks starting coming out all of a sudden. Stuff you NEVER heard out of this team. That was definitely Shanahan trying to force the Redskins to fire him which is the same thing as quitting in my book.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:59 pm

I know we butted heads over this a while ago, but I think I still disagree. The Chiefs game notwithstanding, I really don't think Shanahan quit, and it seemed to me like he continued to make decisions that were in the best long-term interests of the team (or so I attribute his motives in mothballing Griffin).

Especially as Shanahan's take has no effect on the salary cap, and only on Danny's wallet, I say let him take the money his contract gave him a right to. It's not hurting the team, and IMO he earned it.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:03 pm

riggofan wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think I am a rational fan, the problem I have is other than Kerrigan and RGIII what other draft picks can I look at and say yeah this franchise is in a better position going forward?

uh Alfred Morris? Jordan Reed? Perry Riley? Jarvis Jenkins? Roy Helu? Kirk Cousins? David Amerson? I don't know about Rambo, but Philip Thomas was looking promising in the preseason.

The draft picks though aren't the only reason the team is in better position going forward. Shanahan/Allen straightening out our books, killing all of the dead cap space and bad contracts is a big part of it. Not restructuring and overpaying guys like Clinton Portis year after year. All of that boring stuff is why we're in much better shape than we were when Zorn left.

Okay your right about Morris, I heard Jordan Reed may not ever play again! too many concussions! Jenkins hasn't shown me anything special neither has anyone else you mentioned other than perhaps being middle of the pack players, and being honest, I think Cousins digressed, not progressed. Many people don't seem to understand Cousins looked good because there wasn't enough tape on him, now there is, and even in the Atlanta game last year those picks he threw showed me what I needed to see, Cousins is a decent QB but nothing close to a franchise QB, Riley and Amerson might be okay but they too don't look elite, if Amerson was all that he should have taken Wilson's starting spot, he didn't................We will see come next year, and Helu is at best a 3rd down back, too injury prone for me and I think he doesn't run mad enough...........

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:

I know we butted heads over this a while ago, but I think I still disagree. The Chiefs game notwithstanding, I really don't think Shanahan quit, and it seemed to me like he continued to make decisions that were in the best long-term interests of the team (or so I attribute his motives in mothballing Griffin).

Especially as Shanahan's take has no effect on the salary cap, and only on Danny's wallet, I say let him take the money his contract gave him a right to. It's not hurting the team, and IMO he earned it.

I understand what you're saying. And don't get me wrong, I don't think he just kicked up his heels in his office and didn't do his job or actively sabotaged the team or anything. I just think he clearly wanted out and forced the team to fire him. Snyder didn't have much choice today.

You're right though that the $7M is out of Danny's wallet, but fans still pay for that one way or another. If you've bought a $10 beer at FedEx you know what I'm talking about! :)

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Ok I'm confused...over at Redskins.com, they have a list of 8 other coaches/assistants besides Mike that were fired. Haslett is not on this list. Is he still currently employed!?

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:11 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Okay your right about Morris, I heard Jordan Reed may not ever play again! too many concussions! Jenkins hasn't shown me anything special neither has anyone else you mentioned other than perhaps being middle of the pack players, and being honest, I think Cousins digressed, not progressed. Many people don't seem to understand Cousins looked good because there wasn't enough tape on him, now there is, and even in the Atlanta game last year those picks he threw showed me what I needed to see, Cousins is a decent QB but nothing close to a franchise QB, Riley and Amerson might be okay but they too don't look elite, if Amerson was all that he should have taken Wilson's starting spot, he didn't................We will see come next year, and Helu is at best a 3rd down back, too injury prone for me and I think he doesn't run mad enough...........

Look, I'm a Robert fan but Cousins just like I thought, performed liked a guy behind an oline that was made of melted butter. I don't think anyone can really gauge any of the two QBs this year. Everyone was at fault. Bad throws,dropped passes and 2 seconds to get rid of it.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:16 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Okay your right about Morris, I heard Jordan Reed may not ever play again! too many concussions! Jenkins hasn't shown me anything special neither has anyone else you mentioned other than perhaps being middle of the pack players, and being honest, I think Cousins digressed, not progressed. Many people don't seem to understand Cousins looked good because there wasn't enough tape on him, now there is, and even in the Atlanta game last year those picks he threw showed me what I needed to see, Cousins is a decent QB but nothing close to a franchise QB, Riley and Amerson might be okay but they too don't look elite, if Amerson was all that he should have taken Wilson's starting spot, he didn't................We will see come next year, and Helu is at best a 3rd down back, too injury prone for me and I think he doesn't run mad enough...........

That's fair, I'm not arguing that all of these guys are elite play makers. But these are young, inexpensive, DRAFTED guys who have been capable of starting. I think that is proof of a foundation. I didn't even mention any of these OL guys Shanahan drafted who haven't played yet. LeRib, Gettis, Compton, Hurt.

Not to mention you completely left Trent Williams off your list!!! :)

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football