Mike Shanahan Fired Officially

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Mike Shanahan Fired Officially

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Look, I'm a Robert fan but Cousins just like I thought, performed liked a guy behind an oline that was made of melted butter. I don't think anyone can really gauge any of the two QBs this year. Everyone was at fault. Bad throws,dropped passes and 2 seconds to get rid of it.

Good point. He did show flashes of promise in the Dallas and Atlanta game.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:18 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Look, I'm a Robert fan but Cousins just like I thought, performed liked a guy behind an oline that was made of melted butter. I don't think anyone can really gauge any of the two QBs this year. Everyone was at fault. Bad throws,dropped passes and 2 seconds to get rid of it.

I feel the same way. What I do know is that Cousins is a third round pick who proved he can AT LEAST be a capable backup on this team. That's a quality draft pick in my book. If he's capable of developing into more, then good for us.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:18 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Ok I'm confused...over at Redskins.com, they have a list of 8 other coaches/assistants besides Mike that were fired. Haslett is not on this list. Is he still currently employed!?

Haslett is still employed in case the new coach wants to retain him. I'm still not sure how I feel about that. You?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:22 pm

riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:Ok I'm confused...over at Redskins.com, they have a list of 8 other coaches/assistants besides Mike that were fired. Haslett is not on this list. Is he still currently employed!?

Haslett is still employed in case the new coach wants to retain him. I'm still not sure how I feel about that. You?

I'm leaving it to Bruce. He knows what went on. JH might suck but if he wasn't really in charge he didn't get a fair shake.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:47 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:I read that the assistants will meet with Bruce Allen soon to see if they will be retained for next year.

I doubt that - but then again I NEVER trust anything 'reported'

A HC will be hired THEN he and Bruce and the FO will decide if any of the assistants will be brought back
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:15 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:I read that the assistants will meet with Bruce Allen soon to see if they will be retained for next year.

I doubt that - but then again I NEVER trust anything 'reported'

A HC will be hired THEN he and Bruce and the FO will decide if any of the assistants will be brought back

This is how Bruce put it in his press conference today:

Bruce Allen says the #Redskins will retain some coaches who the next head coach will have the choice to keep on staff in the future.

Must all be coaches Allen would consider keeping. The six coaches are: DC Haslett, DB Morris, DL Burney, TE McVay, and OL Foerester & Morgan.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:50 pm

I have no problem with any of those guys - good idea - they are already here and the choice is simple - if the new HC wants them he keeps them

Haslett is not near as bad a DC as many here think and I read once that Bill Belicheat recommended him to Mike to run the 3-4
one of Mike's first mistakes IMO :wink:
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:44 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I have no problem with any of those guys - good idea - they are already here and the choice is simple - if the new HC wants them he keeps them

Haslett is not near as bad a DC as many here think and I read once that Bill Belicheat recommended him to Mike to run the 3-4
one of Mike's first mistakes IMO :wink:

It is easy to think this in hindsight. I should be blamed for saying it was his stupidity. I didn't know that Mike was interfering.

Hog

Postby Neo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:42 pm

After Shanny's firing, the media tried to get a statement from Morris. He declined by saying "...Chick-Fil-A is about to stop serving breakfast" :lol:

Take note gentlemen, Alf has discovered the coup de grace of conflict avoidance =D> LOL Works wonders on the ladies 8)
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Neo wrote:After Shanny's firing, the media tried to get a statement from Morris. He declined by saying "...Chick-Fil-A is about to stop serving breakfast" :lol:

Take note gentlemen, Alf has discovered the coup de grace of conflict avoidance =D> LOL Works wonders on the ladies 8)

That's awesome.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Neo wrote:After Shanny's firing, the media tried to get a statement from Morris. He declined by saying "...Chick-Fil-A is about to stop serving breakfast" :lol:

LMAO!!!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:

That's awesome.

Come on. I know that made you laugh. Even if he is the poster heh....

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:49 am

riggofan wrote:

Here's the offiicial story posted on Redskins.com.

Earlier today, the Washington Redskins announced that they have relieved Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan of his duties with the team. The following assistants also will not be retained:
•Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan
•Special team coordinator Keith Burns
•Quarterback coach Matt LaFleur
•Linebackers coach Bob Slowik
•Wide receivers coach Mike McDaniel
•Advance scout Larry Coyer
•Offensive quality control coach Richmond Flowers
•Defensive assistant Bobby Slowik

Haslett's name is not on this list. Somehow I'm finding that hard to believe. When the decision to go to a 3-4 from our previous top 10 4-3 scheme everything on that side of the ball seemed to fall apart. Bad D put our Offense in a bad situation in many games havingto play catch up and come from behind. I would have preferred to see his name at the top of the list.
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:59 am

SCSkinsFan wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Here's the offiicial story posted on Redskins.com.

Earlier today, the Washington Redskins announced that they have relieved Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan of his duties with the team. The following assistants also will not be retained:
•Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan
•Special team coordinator Keith Burns
•Quarterback coach Matt LaFleur
•Linebackers coach Bob Slowik
•Wide receivers coach Mike McDaniel
•Advance scout Larry Coyer
•Offensive quality control coach Richmond Flowers
•Defensive assistant Bobby Slowik

Haslett's name is not on this list. Somehow I'm finding that hard to believe. When the decision to go to a 3-4 from our previous top 10 4-3 scheme everything on that side of the ball seemed to fall apart. Bad D put our Offense in a bad situation in many games havingto play catch up and come from behind. I would have preferred to see his name at the top of the list.

I have a feeling that Haslett's days are numbered, I don't think Dan Snyder or Bruce Allen wanted fire the ENTIRE coaching staff, I also think Haslett went to the power's that be and told them that he had no choice but to run the 3-4, even though he didn't want too. I still think Haslett is never going to be a good DC but as I think this is more media ploy than anything. Snyder is getting bashed still and this is seen as a sign that Allen is more in charge......

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:10 am

riggofan wrote:

Well if the rumors are true that Shanahan usurped Haslett's play calling, then the bad defensive play should fall squarely on the shoulders of the players and Shanahan. Haslett also did not have much to work with outside of Hall, Kerrigan, and Orakpo so he gets another break there. I would be ok with having him return next year. But the first sign of what we got this year, he should be gone. Granted this is all if the new coach wants to keep him.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football