Next Please!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
swine

Re: Next Please!

Postby cowboyhater4life » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Lovi Smith? Lets not look a college coaches or we will never see RGIII become a real NFL QB.
R.I.P. Taylor!

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:22 pm

riggofan wrote:
Smithian wrote:
EA7649 wrote:Gotta remember. There is a lot more attractive places than Washington. Got Lions and Texans for example. We should get a defensive mind for a head coach and picking up a strong experienced offensive coordinator, who has some leadership skills and can handle the QB position well.
Maybe Houston but not Detroit.

Detroit is a bottom rung organization in the NFL. Washington may be bad, but it's bad with a lot of money.

That may be true, but Detroit has Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson and a bunch of beasts on defense. That team SHOULD have made the playoffs this year. A coach can take that team over now with a legitimate chance to win immediately.

Or you can get paid $6m/yr to go 7-9 with a lousy Redskins team next year and completely ruin your reputation.

Also was watching ESPN. And one of the guys said that whats attractive in Detroit is that they don't have a short leash with coaches don't fire right away. But Detroit has a good roster.

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:23 pm

cowboyhater4life wrote:Lovi Smith? Lets not look a college coaches or we will never see RGIII become a real NFL QB.

So true! Get someone with experience in the NFL as a coordinator

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:27 pm

EA7649 wrote:
cowboyhater4life wrote:Lovi Smith? Lets not look a college coaches or we will never see RGIII become a real NFL QB.

Not mutually exclusive. There are college coaches out there like Bill O'Brien who have NFL OC experience. I think even David Shaw has experience in the NFL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

swine

Postby cowboyhater4life » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Bill O'Brien is more or less off the board to Houston. Time to move on from O'Brien
R.I.P. Taylor!

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:30 pm

riggofan wrote:
EA7649 wrote:

Not mutually exclusive. There are college coaches out there like Bill O'Brien who have NFL OC experience. I think even David Shaw has experience in the NFL.

Yeah having some experience in the NFL is good. They dealt with professional players, the schemes and stuff at one point. Unlike the Baylor HC

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:43 pm

EA7649 wrote:We should get a defensive mind for a head coach and picking up a strong experienced offensive coordinator, who has some leadership skills and can handle the QB position well.

One thing that is critical now for RG3's development is continuity. That is more likely to be achieved from an offensive minded head coach. What happens when your "strong experienced offensive coordinator" gains credit for RG3 having a good year? He'll be hunted for head coaching positions on other teams, and there'll be nothing the Redskins could do to stop it. In comes another coordinator, and everything changes. If the head coach is an offensive mind, then he's not likely to move on after a successful season for RG3, and continuity is more likely to be achieved.

Having said that, I don't think it's a deal breaker, if the best man is a defensive coach. just a concern I have.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:47 pm

cowboyhater4life wrote:Bill O'Brien is more or less off the board to Houston. Time to move on from O'Brien

Maybe he is, but if the Redskins happen to be interested in him, there's no reason to "move on" until a deal is done. Here's what Florio wrote the other day about it:

But here’s the question to ask. Why would someone leak word of a potential deal between the Texans and O’Brien prematurely?

The goal of the leaker could be to help push a deal to conclusion. The goal of the leaker could be to blow a deal up. The goal of the leaker also could be, quite simply, to curry favor with the persons to whom the information was leaked.

The goal of the leaker also could be to nudge another candidate (e.g., Lovie Smith) to do a deal first.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:48 pm

cowboyhater4life wrote:Bill O'Brien is more or less off the board to Houston. Time to move on from O'Brien

I'm not sure that's true. A lot of misdirection goes on at this time - he might be the favourite, but he's not a lock.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Nick Foles begs to differ
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Smithian wrote:

Nick Foles begs to differ

ha!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Kind of scratching my head today when I read that Haslett was one of the guys who had not been fired yet, so that the new coach could have the opportunity to keep them. Just saw Grant Paulsen's tweet:

Jay Gruden will be one of candidates for #Redskins' coaching gig. Gruden once served as offensive coordinator on Jim Haslett's UFL staff.

Interesting?

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Doc is saying he wants a defensive mind. Someone that would make sure they are hitting and tackling in practice.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Doc is saying he wants a defensive mind. Someone that would make sure they are hitting and tackling in practice.

An emphasis on fundamentals would be nice. Blitzes and schemes to hide weaknesses are OK, but the real dominant defenses do it by having a majority of players win their one-on-one assignments, filling their gaps, and making the play when it comes right to them.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:44 pm

Here's a list conjured up by John Clayton as ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10111 ... ington-job):

1. Baylor head coach Art Briles
2. Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin
3. Stanford head coach David Shaw
4. Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly
5. San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman
6. Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell
7. San Diego Chargers assistant coach Ken Whisenhunt
8. Cincinnati Bengals assistant coach Hue Jackson
9. Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden
10. Former Arizona Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm

Out of that list, Briles is exciting, but the guy has never been out of Texas unless due to a faulty satnav - he may struggle to manage the media side of the role. And the reaction of the rest of the locker room to the appointment of RG3's alternative father figure as head coach worries me.

Sumlin has just signed a huge contract extension, and might be impossible. Shaw has already said he doesn't plan to leave Stanford. Doesn't rule him out, but many think he'll be impossible to lure.

No idea why Kelly is even on the list!

Greg Roman and Darrell Bevell are both valid candidates, as they are successfully working with mobile young quarterbacks and like to run the ball, hard and often. Granted, Roman has a lot of talent to work with on the o-line and at wide receiver. Not sure that the Seahawks o-line is much better than ours though.

Whisenhunt doesn't inspire, and I don't think he's the sort of hot name that the Redskins will go for. But he has been a head coach before, and could be a lot more successful second time round.

Hue Jackson? Excuse me?!

Jay Gruden has to be a candidate. Dalton is a decent but not elite QB, but Gruden is getting decent results out of him. And I like what he does with those tight ends he has in Cincinatti.

Russ Grimm - don't see it happening at all, from what I've read of Snyder's opinion of him. Snyder MAY take a backseat on this appointment, but I have no doubt that he'll retain power of veto at least. And why wouldn't he?

So, out of that list, it's Roman, Bevell or Gruden for me. No idea why Bill O'Brien isn't on that list, or defensive coordinator candidates like Bowles, Horton and Zimmer.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football