Let Orakpo go

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:47 pm

Rather than to say let him go, why not allow him to go seek what his value is and then allow us to match if we think it's a valid offer. We are always complaining about not developing our own draft picks and then when we have a chance we let them go, and usually they go on to have stellar careers. Personally I would love to see what Rak could do with a REAL DC and if switching back to a 4-3 allowing him to bulk up and be a DE when his coverage isn't a liability I think he would be very good, what are we going to let Kerrigan go too when his contract is up? I am against over spending for any player regardless but I don't think we can afford to lose him and then have Rob Jackson take over his position full time, sorry Rob is a good player but he can't sniff Rak when he is 100%. I say let Steven Bowen, Adam Carriker go, along with the money we will have by Fletcher retiring we should have enough to offer him fair market value at around 7.5 million a year, he hasn't been healthy and was hurt again this year's end, no way anyone is going to give him 10 million a year........

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:09 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Rather than to say let him go, why not allow him to go seek what his value is and then allow us to match if we think it's a valid offer. We are always complaining about not developing our own draft picks and then when we have a chance we let them go, and usually they go on to have stellar careers. Personally I would love to see what Rak could do with a REAL DC and if switching back to a 4-3 allowing him to bulk up and be a DE when his coverage isn't a liability I think he would be very good, what are we going to let Kerrigan go too when his contract is up? I am against over spending for any player regardless but I don't think we can afford to lose him and then have Rob Jackson take over his position full time, sorry Rob is a good player but he can't sniff Rak when he is 100%. I say let Steven Bowen, Adam Carriker go, along with the money we will have by Fletcher retiring we should have enough to offer him fair market value at around 7.5 million a year, he hasn't been healthy and was hurt again this year's end, no way anyone is going to give him 10 million a year........

I am certain he will test the market. He thinks he is elite.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:00 pm

He will 100% test the market. He is an UNrestricted FA --- that is what unrestricted FAs do. And while I agree he thinks he's better than he actually is, many teams will be interested and pursue him. He has been a constant producer outside his injury season in 2012. This season he quietly had 60 tackles, 10 sacks, an interception, and 2 fumble recoveries. That is quality production. I think many of us overlook this because we compare him to Kerrigan --- who is superior to Orakpo.

So don't be surprised if the skins are forced into a bidding war to retain Orakpo.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 pm

the Redskins should not get into 'a bidding war' for any free agent

we have the guys that know what he's worth - they make him an offer or they find out what it takes to keep him and if that suits the plan they pay the man
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Neo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:50 pm

I know a few have already said this, but Rak thinks he's better than what he really is. He has unlimited potential, and I would hate the see his talent leave this team, but at the same time, he's not "that" good.

In fact, any player on this sorry @$$ team wanting "elite" money can suck it. Sorry to be vulgar, but a true team player will see that there's many needs to be filled in this team...they can't drain the river all for themselves. If that's their attitude, go "f" up someone else's cap space.

Kerrigan > Orakpo
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

swine

Postby RG3peat » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:57 pm

He cant stay healthy either so Id say let him go and USE THAT $$$ to get both Jackson AND Riley....we need Riley back....OTHER FREE AGENTS: Eric Decker (need another weapon), Tracy Porter, Terrance Cody ( a mammoth space eater NT), Major Wright (playmaker), Pat Angerer (decent ILB), and Jonathan Dwer (Helu stinks). Dwer is a 1 cut north/south runner that can break tackles...THAT IS MY WISH LIST

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:09 pm

RG3peat wrote:He cant stay healthy either so Id say let him go and USE THAT $$$ to get both Jackson AND Riley....we need Riley back....OTHER FREE AGENTS: Eric Decker (need another weapon), Tracy Porter, Terrance Cody ( a mammoth space eater NT), Major Wright (playmaker), Pat Angerer (decent ILB), and Jonathan Dwer (Helu stinks). Dwer is a 1 cut north/south runner that can break tackles...THAT IS MY WISH LIST

He had a feak muscle tear. Twice granted but I don't think he is injury prone. More than likely he gets the franchise tag if he is kept. I doubt they sign him long term unless he takes less.

swine

Postby RG3peat » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:14 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
RG3peat wrote:He cant stay healthy either so Id say let him go and USE THAT $$$ to get both Jackson AND Riley....we need Riley back....OTHER FREE AGENTS: Eric Decker (need another weapon), Tracy Porter, Terrance Cody ( a mammoth space eater NT), Major Wright (playmaker), Pat Angerer (decent ILB), and Jonathan Dwer (Helu stinks). Dwer is a 1 cut north/south runner that can break tackles...THAT IS MY WISH LIST

He had a feak muscle tear. Twice granted but I don't think he is injury prone. More than likely he gets the franchise tag if he is kept. I doubt they sign him long term unless he takes less.

What makes it a "freak" tear? Especially twice? Not saying hes soft or prone either cause they have been major and little ticky tacky nagging stuff...Pass rushing "hybrids" are common now and can get another at top of rd2....

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:22 pm

It makes it freak because that injury doesn't happen often. He reinjured the same tear. He got surgery and lasted the year without any problems.

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:22 pm

markshark84 wrote:He will 100% test the market. He is an UNrestricted FA --- that is what unrestricted FAs do. And while I agree he thinks he's better than he actually is, many teams will be interested and pursue him. He has been a constant producer outside his injury season in 2012. This season he quietly had 60 tackles, 10 sacks, an interception, and 2 fumble recoveries. That is quality production. I think many of us overlook this because we compare him to Kerrigan --- who is superior to Orakpo.

So don't be surprised if the skins are forced into a bidding war to retain Orakpo.

I agree with most of what you said and while I really like Kerrigan, personally, I don't think he's superior. Orakpo, IMO, is clearly our best pass rusher. Kerrigan is a very good player but i think people underestimate how good Orakpo is because he's not elite or as good as we hoped. I'm not saying overpay for the guy but you have to get players who can get to the QB and although inconsistent he can do that and if he leaves we have to replace him and i'm not sold JAckson is the answer. I'd only let him go if eh price gets way high. Anyways, i'm generally agreeing with you I just don't think Kerrigan is superior.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:It makes it freak because that injury doesn't happen often. He reinjured the same tear. He got surgery and lasted the year without any problems.

FTR it was the same muscle but a different tear... Unrelated to the first tear from what I read.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:57 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:It makes it freak because that injury doesn't happen often. He reinjured the same tear. He got surgery and lasted the year without any problems.

FTR it was the same muscle but a different tear... Unrelated to the first tear from what I read.

Well, what are the chances he tears the same muscle but in another unrelated injury? hah!!!

Postby AldersonSkinsFan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:44 am

I see where you are coming from with this thread but id pay the man and here is why. Sometimes you pay a guy a little more than what you want if he is a guy who can be a leader for this team. Fletcher is gone and I think Orakpo can fill those leadership shoes. If you combine his play with those win at all cost leadership traits I think he is worth the money. I do think he is better suited for a 4-3 end role but he has improved imo since he first became a 3-4 olb for us. Kerrigan and Orakpo are two players you can build a defense around.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:27 am

AldersonSkinsFan wrote:I see where you are coming from with this thread but id pay the man and here is why. Sometimes you pay a guy a little more than what you want if he is a guy who can be a leader for this team. Fletcher is gone and I think Orakpo can fill those leadership shoes. If you combine his play with those win at all cost leadership traits I think he is worth the money. I do think he is better suited for a 4-3 end role but he has improved imo since he first became a 3-4 olb for us. Kerrigan and Orakpo are two players you can build a defense around.

Good post, man, and I like your comment about the leadership role. You can probably make the same point about Kerrigan going into next year.

In Rak's favor, he is still a young guy, he's a guy we drafted with a first round pick, and he has been a good Redskin. He's also been a good player on a bad defense. Add some more talent around him, I don't doubt that he can bring more to the team.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:17 am

Orakpo counted 5.1 million against the cap this season, and his projected FA salary would be about 10 million (franchise tag would mean ~11 million) or double this year's mark. Is he worth double?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football