Skins plan to speak with James Franklin

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
^^^^^^^

Skins plan to speak with James Franklin

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Saw today that the front office is planning to meet with Vanderbilt HC James Franklin who was at Maryland before. He was a WR's coach in the NFL (GB maybe). He was a HUGE fan favorite to fill the open job at NC State last year so I've read a ton about the guy and followed him a bit. Here is what I've read/saw:

- FIRERY PERSONALITY
- No nonsense guy
- Players Coach
- Detail Oriented
- Young & Energetic (think he's 41)

Just a few bullet-points and I'm sure others can add to it but he's a guy who while maybe not the most glamorous name, I think he's the guy you take a risk on and see what happens. Very big upside IMO.

Hog

Re: Skins plan to speak with James Franklin

Postby TimSkin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:50 pm

I would like to see us take a shot on this guy. His limited NFL coaching experience worries me but if he surrounds himself with the proper staff then I really think this guy will turn out to be a heckuva a ball coach for us.

Also he seems like a no nonsense type that wont back down from The Danny and his players and Vandy absolutely love him
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:19 pm

If you can win at Vanderbilt, you're a football coach. He sounds like he understands leadership.

I'm glad this search, so far, really hasn't tread on the usual characters Snyder would have been attracted to in the past. Glad there's no Cowher or Fassel or Briles. I'm glad that Allen is interviewing a wide range of candidates. No harm at all in that. This is a serious business. It's a good thing they (appear) to be going about this in a thorough manner.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:27 pm

Burgundy&Wha? wrote:If you can win at Vanderbilt, you're a football coach. He sounds like he understands leadership.

I'm glad this search, so far, really hasn't tread on the usual characters Snyder would have been attracted to in the past. Glad there's no Cowher or Fassel or Briles. I'm glad that Allen is interviewing a wide range of candidates. No harm at all in that. This is a serious business. It's a good thing they (appear) to be going about this in a thorough manner.

Careful, the evil politician is brain washing you. You shouldn't think they are trying to be thorough or careful at all. That would mean people are trying to do a good job for crying out loud. :wink:

piglet

Postby AnthonyRRedskin1995 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:26 am

I love James Franklin.......but for my college team (Penn State). I think he is a fantastic coach and what he has done at Vandy is remarkable but i think there are better candidates available for the Skins job. I would like a guy with more NFL experience. (Atleast as an OC or a DC). Part of me doesn't want the skins to go with a college coach. Maybe that fear stems from bad childhood memories of Steve Spurrier, regardless, id like the skins to chase an "NFL guy". (See Bevell, Whisenhunt, Mcdermott, Zimmer, or Jay Gruden.)
“I don’t like ‘em. They all have bad breath.” Dexter Manley on Cowboys Fans.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:27 am

AnthonyRRedskin1995 wrote:I love James Franklin.......but for my college team (Penn State). I think he is a fantastic coach and what he has done at Vandy is remarkable but i think there are better candidates available for the Skins job. I would like a guy with more NFL experience. (Atleast as an OC or a DC). Part of me doesn't want the skins to go with a college coach. Maybe that fear stems from bad childhood memories of Steve Spurrier, regardless, id like the skins to chase an "NFL guy". (See Bevell, Whisenhunt, Mcdermott, Zimmer, or Jay Gruden.)

If they do get an NFL guy (one from which you listed), how about Franklin as an OC?
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:59 am

Neo wrote:
AnthonyRRedskin1995 wrote:I love James Franklin.......but for my college team (Penn State). I think he is a fantastic coach and what he has done at Vandy is remarkable but i think there are better candidates available for the Skins job. I would like a guy with more NFL experience. (Atleast as an OC or a DC). Part of me doesn't want the skins to go with a college coach. Maybe that fear stems from bad childhood memories of Steve Spurrier, regardless, id like the skins to chase an "NFL guy". (See Bevell, Whisenhunt, Mcdermott, Zimmer, or Jay Gruden.)

If they do get an NFL guy (one from which you listed), how about Franklin as an OC?

Yes, but would he take Skins OC over the PSU HC?
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:58 am

They are going to hire a HC with NFL creds and then the FO and HC will put a lot of effort into bringing in a staff that suits what systems/schemes these guys want to run

I like how thorough these guys are - this is what we've been missing since Dan Snyder came in - NFL guys doing their thing
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:10 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Neo wrote:

Yes, but would he take Skins OC over the PSU HC?

Depends on what he wants; whether to stay in the NFL or college. Also, RGIII is unique and would have to fit in his offense. I don't know much about his offense, but if it includes a drop back QB -- which we have seen doesn't work with RGIII -- then he'd most likely pass.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

piglet

Postby AnthonyRRedskin1995 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:28 pm

Don't see him taking an NFL OC job. My guess is he uses PSU as his stepping stone similar to O'Brien.
“I don’t like ‘em. They all have bad breath.” Dexter Manley on Cowboys Fans.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:54 am

Neo wrote:

An SEC head coach, even if it's Vandy, isn't taking an NFL OC job.
Suck and Luck

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:30 am

any college coach who really wants to coach in the NFL is going to be interested in working as an OC for the Redskins

potential coaches look at the Redskins VERY differently than the media (and most fans)

we are NOT the 'same old Redskins' to most media and fans with any real knowledge of what is going on
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:27 am

SkinsJock wrote:any college coach who really wants to coach in the NFL is going to be interested in working as an OC for the Redskins

potential coaches look at the Redskins VERY differently than the media (and most fans)

we are NOT the 'same old Redskins' to most media and fans with any real knowledge of what is going on

It has nothing to do with the Redskins. Head coaches from power conferences rarely, if ever, leave head coaching jobs for NFL coordinator positions. Vandy is a private school so they don't have to announce Franklin's salary, but it's been reported that he's making around $3 million a year. It's very rare for an NFL coordinator to make anywhere near that amount.
Suck and Luck

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:11 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:any college coach who really wants to coach in the NFL is going to be interested in working as an OC for the Redskins potential coaches look at the Redskins VERY differently than the media (and most fans) - we are NOT the 'same old Redskins'

It has nothing to do with the Redskins. Head coaches from power conferences rarely, if ever, leave head coaching jobs for NFL coordinator positions. Vandy is a private school so they don't have to announce Franklin's salary, but it's been reported that he's making around $3 million a year. It's very rare for an NFL coordinator to make anywhere near that amount.

good for him - he should stay there - I was referring to those coaches who really want to coach in the NFL :lol:

the Redskins OC job offers a unique opportunity - we have RG3 :lol:

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 am

Honestly, I can't see why any major college head coach would want to leave to go to the NFL unless he would get a head coaching position. The money even at the head coaching level isn't much better (if at all, Saban makes as much as any NFL head coach for example), and the work hours and lifestyle absolutely suck.

Honestly, I don't even see why a major college coach would leave for a head coaching job in the NFL either...

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football