Skins plan to speak with James Franklin

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Skins plan to speak with James Franklin

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:26 am

PulpExposure wrote:Honestly, I can't see why any major college head coach would want to leave to go to the NFL unless he would get a head coaching position. The money even at the head coaching level isn't much better (if at all, Saban makes as much as any NFL head coach for example), and the work hours and lifestyle absolutely suck.

Honestly, I don't even see why a major college coach would leave for a head coaching job in the NFL either...

That constantly blows my mind. Spurrier was basically a GOD at Florida. I never understood what he was thinking leaving that job for the NFL.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:44 am

I agree - that is why I qualified that any coach that "really wants" to coach in the NFL ...

most of them are not really suited for coaching at the big boy level anyway and are very happy where they are
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

swine

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:28 pm

Franklin could be the best kept secret in coaching. He comes off as a winner and to me that goes along way in getting his players to respond and believe in what they are trying to accomplish. I would not be disappointed at all if they gave him a shot and then he could get a very solid OC and DC as well.
Keeping the Faith in Indy!!!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:33 pm

Looks like an interesting choice and I've seen a couple teams interested in him. I'm glad they're talking to him.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:51 pm

PulpExposure wrote:Honestly, I can't see why any major college head coach would want to leave to go to the NFL unless he would get a head coaching position. The money even at the head coaching level isn't much better (if at all, Saban makes as much as any NFL head coach for example), and the work hours and lifestyle absolutely suck.

Honestly, I don't even see why a major college coach would leave for a head coaching job in the NFL either...

I would think that one of the reasons would be the recruiting aspect of college football. I imagine that the traveling, stress, having to kiss up to high school coaches/"advisors", etc., that is involved in recruiting takes its toll on coaches. Your keeping your job is basically dependent on the decisions that 17 and 18-year old kids are making. Obviously with the NFL you have other issues of dealing with high paid athletes, but I imagine the recruiting gets real old after a while. I'm sure there's other reasons but I could see this being one of them.
Suck and Luck

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:55 pm

riggofan wrote:

That constantly blows my mind. Spurrier was basically a GOD at Florida. I never understood what he was thinking leaving that job for the NFL.

He was making around $2 million per year at UF and here he made $5 million.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:44 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:

I would think that one of the reasons would be the recruiting aspect of college football. I imagine that the traveling, stress, having to kiss up to high school coaches/"advisors", etc., that is involved in recruiting takes its toll on coaches. Your keeping your job is basically dependent on the decisions that 17 and 18-year old kids are making. Obviously with the NFL you have other issues of dealing with high paid athletes, but I imagine the recruiting gets real old after a while. I'm sure there's other reasons but I could see this being one of them.

also, dealing with boosters that think their money can buy anything. And ncaa rules violations at every door step...theres pros and cons to both I guess

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:35 pm

markshark84 wrote:I don't know much about his offense, but if it includes a drop back QB -- which we have seen doesn't work with RGIII -- then he'd most likely pass.

No, we haven't seen that.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football