Jay Gruden ... Top Candidate

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Jay Gruden ... Top Candidate

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:35 pm

Jay Gruden expected to emerge as Redskins top coaching candidate

Caption:
Jay Gruden has ties to the Redskins' Bruce Allen and Raheem Morris

Excerpt:
Redskins general manager Bruce Allen has told others he plans to interview 10-12 candidates for his coaching opening, then re-interview two-or-three finalists. Several of the most intriguing candidates are not eligible to be explored until this week with their teams playing in the divisional round. Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden is among the top names on their list, sources said, and Allen's relationship working with Gruden's older brother, Jon, could end up being a positive factor in the process.

Link:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -candidate
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Re: Jay Gruden ... Top Candidate

Postby mastdark81 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:18 pm

Would rather see a guy that makes more with less. Gruden's Bengals offense is filled with talent. Not tough for them to make him look good.

piglet

Postby AnthonyRRedskin1995 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:22 pm

I know its a little harsh to judge Jay Gruden by one game, but I was not impressed with his play calling/clock management today vs San Diego. I understand that not all of that is JG's fault and I also understand that he and Andy Daulton have worked well together and there is no reason him and RG3 can't do the same. I'm on the fence about Gruden, but I could think of worse candidates available...... However, I do like the prospects of hiring Hue Jackson as OC
“I don’t like ‘em. They all have bad breath.” Dexter Manley on Cowboys Fans.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:30 pm

AnthonyRRedskin1995 wrote:I know its a little harsh to judge Jay Gruden by one game, but I was not impressed with his play calling/clock management today vs San Diego. I understand that not all of that is JG's fault and I also understand that he and Andy Daulton have worked well together and there is no reason him and RG3 can't do the same. I'm on the fence about Gruden, but I could think of worse candidates available...... However, I do like the prospects of hiring Hue Jackson as OC

+1 about Gruden.

Judging by one game is harsh, but I can't help it myself because it was the most detailed look I've had at him all year. Guess I'm just not seeing the "I can fix you" factor.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:29 am

"sources" Uh huh.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 am

I'd much rather have Wisenhunt.
Suck and Luck

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:36 am

I think Caldwell would do a GREAT job with our slumping QB...!!!
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:44 am

But...what do I know...???
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:39 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:I'd much rather have Wisenhunt.

I like him too.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 am

I don't think Gruden or Caldwell is the answer. I was not impressed with Gruden's inability to get better production from his offense against San Diego. We need someone young, cocky that the team will play for. Caldwell is too Grandfather like IMHO and he did not impress me this year AT ALL. Gruden to me isn't that good either. We should bring Gregg Williams back or someone like that. Russ Grimm or Whisenhunt anyone else pretty much would be nothing but a yes man, although Perry Fewell sort of intrigues me.......

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:21 am

EVERYONE is a 'top' candidate - nobody has an easy way of getting this job and a lot of candidates will get a great opportunity to make their case ...

the media is just doing what they do and no matter who is selected he will not be the 'right HC' - no way :lol:

and for sure the FO is not selecting a HC based on what he did - these guys are only interested in what you will do for this franchise, not what you just did in your last game
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:31 am

You guys know I posted this two weeks ago that Jay Gruden was my top choice. And I completely disagree with the comments about Gruden getting it done with extreme talent, etc; The Bengals are one of the CHEAPEST teams in the league if not the cheapest, but they're competitive every freaking year.

Rich Tandler posted this transcript today of Gruden's epic rant from Hard Knocks this season:

”Some of the s— that happened yesterday you wouldn’t expect on the first day of rookie OTAs. We had three dropped snaps and a couple things that were my fault. That is Mickey Mouse horse—- football right there, and we all had our hand in it. Everybody had their hand in it, and it can’t happen for us to be as good as we want to be. Ever.

“I can handle a drop every now and then. I can handle a guy beating you with a good pass-rush move. I can handle certain things, but I can’t handle mental f—ups time and time again. Andy (Dalton)’s been a quarterback here for three f—— years and hasn’t had one dropped snap. Not one. We had three in one day!

“Concentration, poise. You gotta have it on every snap in this game. Otherwise, you’re going to get your ass beat time and time again. You’re going to be 18th-ranked in offense. You’re going to be 9-7 or 8-8, and you’re going to be f—–’ watching the playoffs at home every year. Yesterday, we took a major step backwards, and now today, we gotta take two steps forward.

“You gotta have great attention to detail, not just on Sundays. On Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. If you want to mull around at .500, f—–’ then come out here and f— around and f— up. But if you want to be great, then you have to set your standards high and come out and go after it every f—–’ day.”

Sounds like a lot of fire in that belly to me.

Love it.

FWIW I heard Mike Jones on the Junkies this AM saying he didn't think Jay Gruden would be willing to come to Washington. Would probably prefer Detroit. Guess we'll see!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

piglet

Postby AnthonyRRedskin1995 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:45 am

riggofan wrote:You guys know I posted this two weeks ago that Jay Gruden was my top choice. And I completely disagree with the comments about Gruden getting it done with extreme talent, etc; The Bengals are one of the CHEAPEST teams in the league if not the cheapest, but they're competitive every freaking year.

Rich Tandler posted this transcript today of Gruden's epic rant from Hard Knocks this season:

”Some of the s— that happened yesterday you wouldn’t expect on the first day of rookie OTAs. We had three dropped snaps and a couple things that were my fault. That is Mickey Mouse horse—- football right there, and we all had our hand in it. Everybody had their hand in it, and it can’t happen for us to be as good as we want to be. Ever.

“I can handle a drop every now and then. I can handle a guy beating you with a good pass-rush move. I can handle certain things, but I can’t handle mental f—ups time and time again. Andy (Dalton)’s been a quarterback here for three f—— years and hasn’t had one dropped snap. Not one. We had three in one day!

“Concentration, poise. You gotta have it on every snap in this game. Otherwise, you’re going to get your ass beat time and time again. You’re going to be 18th-ranked in offense. You’re going to be 9-7 or 8-8, and you’re going to be f—–’ watching the playoffs at home every year. Yesterday, we took a major step backwards, and now today, we gotta take two steps forward.

“You gotta have great attention to detail, not just on Sundays. On Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. If you want to mull around at .500, f—–’ then come out here and f— around and f— up. But if you want to be great, then you have to set your standards high and come out and go after it every f—–’ day.”

Sounds like a lot of fire in that belly to me.

Love it.

FWIW I heard Mike Jones on the Junkies this AM saying he didn't think Jay Gruden would be willing to come to Washington. Would probably prefer Detroit. Guess we'll see!

Mickey Mouse horse sh*t??? is that an actual phrase or is that a gruden-ism?
“I don’t like ‘em. They all have bad breath.” Dexter Manley on Cowboys Fans.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:49 am

AnthonyRRedskin1995 wrote:Mickey Mouse horse sh*t??? is that an actual phrase or is that a gruden-ism?

Hah. Wish I could find some video of that!

Guy struck me as very much like his brother in terms of his demeanor and everything. Anybody we hire is a gamble, but at least this guy would be entertaining.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

piglet

Postby skinsfb4life » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:56 am

What is everyones thoughts on James Franklin? He has only been an intern in the NFL not sure if that is enough experience. I think he would be a better fit then Gruden. My top 3 would be Greg Roman, Darrell Bevell and James Franklin..

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football