Jay Gruden ... Top Candidate

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Re: Jay Gruden ... Top Candidate

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:51 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Who the head coach is is not as important as having a good group - HC, OC, STC and DC that work well together ...

IMHO, the HC is everything. He's manages the football operations. If he's a failure, everything below him will fail. It's the same issue we have with Snyder. He sets the tone, up top... If that's steeped in failure, everything below will fail. Hence our predicament.

Pretty good stuff here. Good read on this.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events ... ae&fs=true

“It’s who they have in mind as an offensive and defensive coordinator that’s crucial to me in the interview.”

When a coordinator flounders after promotion, it is often due to a lack of strong coaching on the opposite side of the ball.

Thanks.

Perhaps this is where George Allen failed.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:48 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'd like to see Danny Smith be the HC. My second choice is the OC for SEA.

I don't want anyone that has ties to the coaching staff here. Danny is the exception because has that "dont give a f***" attitude.

Bishop Hammer wrote:If Gruden is hired, for the love of all thats good in the world, do not make Morris DC!

Why not? What has he done that's been so terrible since being here? He, like Haz has been given garbage to work with. No true NT which is key for the 3-4 defense. He hasn't been given any safeties to work with. And he's coached Amerson up really well.

Probably not a bad choice on Smith. Personally I wouldn't mind Rich Bisaccia. Long shot I know.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:45 pm

I don't believe there is a "top candidate". Won't believe who is to be HC until he's announced.

Hard to remember when the Post had so many conflicting sports stories based on "insiders" and other anonymous sources. Maybe I'll just make things up, post, and watch somebody repeat the post until it's A Real Story. Baseball example: somebody's blog recently wrote that the Nats' AA CF, Brian Goodwin, was another potential superstar, meant to be right alongside Bryce Harper and on and on. Goodwin hit about .252 at Harrisburg, but he's a potential superstar. All he has to do is learn to hit. No kidding. (For example: Harry Theofilides was a potential superstar...he just had to learn to pass like Sonny Jurgensen).

Just write anything, get someone to link to it, and, bam, it's true.

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:27 pm

BurgundyBlog.com ‏@BurgundyBlog 14m

Follower @nroby21 says his buddy coaches Gruden's son's bball team in Cincy and son has told Coach that Daddy has accepted the #Redskins.
#21 = Forever in our hearts

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 pm

spudstr04 wrote:BurgundyBlog.com ‏@BurgundyBlog 14m

Follower @nroby21 says his buddy coaches Gruden's son's bball team in Cincy and son has told Coach that Daddy has accepted the #Redskins.

https://twitter.com/nroby21/status/421125025421615104

Check it out.....
#21 = Forever in our hearts

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:19 am

I've read that Gruden is more interested in taking the Titans job. He plans to interview with the Vikings today, so I don't see how he could have accepted the job here and not announce it.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:24 am

duh ... just maybe because they are trying to make sure they're getting the best deal they can ... :lol:
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:52 am

Looks like a deal is in the works. I'm very luke warm about him. I really think Wisenhunt is going to be special and would love to have him here. Oh well, I've been wrong before.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9295/jay-gruden
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:28 am

I wouldn't worry too much - there are a number of very good young guys out there and this FO hopefully understands some of the issues we have and who might best fit

the key is to make sure whomever is here as HC can get a good group of assistants to work with ...

I'm glad that they're looking at a lot of candidates but I think the sooner we can start to put a team together the more guys we'll have to select from

most all the candidates seem to bring a lot of intensity and this guy will push RG3, big time

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:30 am

SkinsJock wrote:duh ... just maybe because they are trying to make sure they're getting the best deal they can ... :lol:

lol. I don't know why so many people overreacted to that "Gruden prefers the Titans" horses***. Rich Tandler summed it up pretty well today:

When the coaching carousel is turning, it’s also lying season.

I hit on this a bit yesterday when discussing Mark Maske’s report that Jay Gruden might prefer to work for the Titans rather than the Redskins. Many fans took this tidbit to be the gospel truth and started complaining about getting into a bidding war and wondering why the Redskins would want a coach who would rather be somewhere else.

But tap brakes here a bit. Where did this “information” come from? It had to come from Gruden’s camp, right? I mean, is he going to tell the Redskins that he’s rather be in Tennessee and, even if he does say that, why would the Redskins push that out to the media?

It’s the oldest trick in the book and it’s been around for so long because it works. It looks like Gruden has two teams that want him. The Titans know they are up against Daniel Snyder, who has some of the deepest pockets in the league and a willingness to empty them out to get what he wants. And the Redskins have now heard that Gruden might prefer Tennessee. Each team had better come forward with its best offer.

Now, the Redskins know every trick in the book themselves. They know that this is “information” coming from the Gruden camp. But Gruden might actually rather be in Nashville than in Ashburn so they can ignore the leak at their own peril.

The lesson for fans is to not hang to and react (or overreact) to every report that comes out. There is a good chance that your blood pressure is going up over something that is not true in the first place.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:33 am

Gruden was the top candidate all along ...

Shefter now reports that not only is Gruden the next HC but he's most likely keeping Haslett

love it

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:37 am

to clarify - Jason La Canfora is reporting that Jim H will most likely stay as DC ..

Bruce Allen is on 'top' of this - that's why he kept Jim in the first place

Bruce Allen wanted both these guys ...

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:40 am

No More Haslett!!!!!!!!!!
No Pressure, No Diamonds

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:41 am

Jim Haslett and the TE coach sound like they will be a part of this :D

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:44 am

Bruce has kept Haslett, Morris and McVay according to Chris Co0ley ..

Chris Co0ley likes the hire and he likes Jim Haslett, and especially the TE coach - "best I worked with ..."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football