Sources: Jim Haslett to Continue as DC

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Re: Sources: Jim Haslett to Continue as DC

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:14 am

we have seen that most of the reports have been very misleading and that sources are for the most part just an attempt by the media to imply that somebody that knows something is giving them information when in fact they just made the whole thing up because "it fits" with the anti-Redskins agenda ...
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:15 am

Kerrigan:

Meanwhile, the news that Haslett would remain as defensive coordinator and that the Redskins will continue to run a 3-4 defensive front was a welcome development, said Kerrigan, who at the conclusion of the season had worried about the hindrance of development that a new coaching staff could cause.

“I liked it. Haz and a lot of the guys on the team — myself included — all have a great relationship. He’s someone that we want to play hard for. He’s a great coach. and he’s fun to play for,” Kerrigan said. “This is a defense that, especially as an outside linebacker in the defense, takes a while to really get comfortable in. So to continue to play in the same style of defense and for the same coach is pretty nice.”
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:34 am

So I don't think you can judge Has simply by the Skins experience, as we've seen how Shanahan never really gave the guy a chance to run his own defense. However, Haslett has never had much success with defense in the league, based upon when you look at his overall defense performance. It's brutal.

Since 2000, he's coached the Saints as a head coach, then the Rams for 3 years as a defco, and then the Skins. In those 13 seasons, only in year 2000 and 2003 were his defenses better than average in points allowed 10th in 2000, 14th in 2003). In every other season his defenses were ranked 21st or worse in points allowed.

There is nothing there that reassures me he actually knows how to run a good defense, even if you ignore the Redskins years.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:22 pm

Haslett staying here is baffling based on production. His units (as mentioned above) have never been very good. Never close to consistently good. But, he knows Jay Gruden well. They have history. I hope they can make this thing work, but based on performance, he should have been fired with Mike if not before.

Haslett played LB in a 3-4 and has coached it. But, he's absolutely AWFUL when it comes to making adjustments and calling a good all around game. He's going to need this team to go out and get him a bunch of playmakers to cover for his tendency to call the absolute wrong defense at critical times.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:46 pm

The Hogster wrote:Haslett staying here is baffling based on production. His units (as mentioned above) have never been very good. Never close to consistently good. But, he knows Jay Gruden well. They have history. I hope they can make this thing work, but based on performance, he should have been fired with Mike if not before.

Haslett played LB in a 3-4 and has coached it. But, he's absolutely AWFUL when it comes to making adjustments and calling a good all around game. He's going to need this team to go out and get him a bunch of playmakers to cover for his tendency to call the absolute wrong defense at critical times.

This makes sense but let us not forget that the most memorable of all the wrong calls at the wrong time was not his call ... and I doubt that was the only one.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:16 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Haslett staying here is baffling based on production. His units (as mentioned above) have never been very good. Never close to consistently good. But, he knows Jay Gruden well. They have history. I hope they can make this thing work, but based on performance, he should have been fired with Mike if not before.

This makes sense but let us not forget that the most memorable of all the wrong calls at the wrong time was not his call ... and I doubt that was the only one.
Not only that, but Shanahan allowed everyone to believe that it was Haslett's call... I have no idea... and nor does Hogster... how often that happened, and like Darth, I have to think it happened more than once... perhaps many times.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:54 pm

let me just add that I think that judging Haslett based on his past and especially recent defenses could be misleading ..

I understand what the 'old' defensive stats are - not good - but I think that Haslett will have learned from all his experiences (old and recent) and will be motivated to do well

I am not saying he might be the best choice for DC, that is up to Jay Gruden and I'm sure he will pick someone that he thinks will handle the job better than it was

I'm just not that down on Haslett as some here - we could do worse, is all ... and ... he's here :lol:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:33 pm

Sure, all that experience of running below average defences COULD be an excellent learning experience for Haslett. But I think that's about as likely as Evan Royster turning into Eric Dickerson!
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:04 pm

I haven't seen anybody announced as the DC yet.

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:14 pm

SkinsJock wrote:let me just add that I think that judging Haslett based on his past and especially recent defenses could be misleading ..

I understand what the 'old' defensive stats are - not good - but I think that Haslett will have learned from all his experiences (old and recent) and will be motivated to do well:

I think the clay is already dry. After being in the league this long as a player, coordinator, head coach, and consistently being sub-par, he is what he is.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby jmooney » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:31 pm

For me, Has is just to laid back. I like my D coordinators to have a bit of an edge to em, If he let Shannahan undermine his defense the way the reports say and, did nothing, that's not the kind of personality that tends to make a good DC.

Greg Williams would have smacked Mike in his @#%^&! mouth with a clipboard for doing it.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:41 pm

DarthMonk wrote:

Its hard to say what Shanahan was doing? But seriously we have years of proof already. We have a track record to go off of.

Obviously we all hope it works but man how much more proof do we need? They say the definition of insanity is expecting a different result from doing the same thing over and over again.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:57 pm

According to CSN Washington Gruden is retaining staff but may shuffle titles. Also CSN is reporting that Gruden is talking to Bengals assistant Paul Guenther about defensive coordinator position.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:28 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:According to CSN Washington Gruden is retaining staff but may shuffle titles. Also CSN is reporting that Gruden is talking to Bengals assistant Paul Guenther about defensive coordinator position.
Guenther is under contract. I don't see the Bingos letting him go for an equivalent position.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Regardless of Mike's interference into Haz's D.....I still do not like that choice as a DC if Gruden so chooses. I could see Haz sticking around to help assist Gruden in some type of underlying HC position.....heck wasn't it Gibbs II that started all the associate coaching titles?

Also...Guenther is the LB coach of the bungles now....so a DC job would be a promotion. Wouldn't he be able to accept that if offered? It would also make sense as I believe that Gruden and Guenther are pretty close from a couple of articles I have seen.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football