Sources: Jim Haslett to Continue as DC

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Sources: Jim Haslett to Continue as DC

Postby Neo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:00 pm

Hooligan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:let me just add that I think that judging Haslett based on his past and especially recent defenses could be misleading ..

I understand what the 'old' defensive stats are - not good - but I think that Haslett will have learned from all his experiences (old and recent) and will be motivated to do well:

I think the clay is already dry. After being in the league this long as a player, coordinator, head coach, and consistently being sub-par, he is what he is.

^^This is how I feel about it.

None come to mind, but is there any coach in the history of professional football who made a "come back" after so long with such a sub-par track record? I'm wrong if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is any.

As far as Kerrigan and company saying that they "love" playing for Haz, that's irrelevant. Its nice to like your coaches, but I don't think anyone would disagree that if the coach leads the defense into playing like beasts, it doesn't matter if they love or hate him; that coach is getting the job done.

As a fan, I do hope Haz becomes successful here, but if nothing changes, nothing changes. Shanny's change of plays didn't lead to 80% of our defense failing to tackle one guy on numerous plays in numerous games.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:33 pm

we shall see - with all that bad history it seems like the decision would be easy ... :lol:

if they keep Haslett even with all that stuff to go on, it would be pretty amazing ... right :twisted:

I just don't understand why he's even here if he's that bad :wink:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:56 am

Countertrey wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Haslett staying here is baffling based on production. His units (as mentioned above) have never been very good. Never close to consistently good. But, he knows Jay Gruden well. They have history. I hope they can make this thing work, but based on performance, he should have been fired with Mike if not before.

Haslett played LB in a 3-4 and has coached it. But, he's absolutely AWFUL when it comes to making adjustments and calling a good all around game. He's going to need this team to go out and get him a bunch of playmakers to cover for his tendency to call the absolute wrong defense at critical times.

This makes sense but let us not forget that the most memorable of all the wrong calls at the wrong time was not his call ... and I doubt that was the only one.
Not only that, but Shanahan allowed everyone to believe that it was Haslett's call... I have no idea... and nor does Hogster... how often that happened, and like Darth, I have to think it happened more than once... perhaps many times.

Your probably right Trey. Just wanted to report that Has as the D coordinator is not certain yet. He will be on the staff but maybe someone else calls the plays.

You know he has a good scheme and defensive package. Its just calling the right plays at the right time. Well I am just hoping for someone to call the plays and maybe Haslett will just oversee things.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:29 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Countertrey wrote:I'm OK with Haslett staying.

Yo tambien.

I was agin it a few weeks ago but have done a lot of research and have changed my mind.

wow....tell us about your research?
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:10 am

rskin72 wrote:Also...Guenther is the LB coach of the bungles now....so a DC job would be a promotion. Wouldn't he be able to accept that if offered?

They can only break the contract for a HC position, if the team does not give permission.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:40 am

Deadskins wrote:
rskin72 wrote:Also...Guenther is the LB coach of the bungles now....so a DC job would be a promotion. Wouldn't he be able to accept that if offered?

They can only break the contract for a HC position, if the team does not give permission.

Is that a new regulation, or has it always been the case? Maybe my wires are crossed, but I thought that an offer of an enhanced position meant that the existing team could not refuse permission?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:42 am

What would be more puzzling about pursuing Guenther is that he's worked in the 4-3 rather than the 3-4. We already have a defensive coordinator trying to coach a scheme he isn't expert in - why go after another?

Unless (please let it be so) we are going to change to a 4-3?

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:04 am

tribeofjudah wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
Countertrey wrote:I'm OK with Haslett staying.

Yo tambien.

I was agin it a few weeks ago but have done a lot of research and have changed my mind.

I started the "Don't Look Now" thread. Then the "In Defense of Haz' Defense" thread had an article that helped me reconsider my position along with the Maske article outlining Shanny's meddling.

Things like us playing top 8 after the first 3 games and our offense and special teams constantly putting us behind the 8 ball and guys blaming themselves for doing things like missing tackles after being put in perfect position.

So yeah, yo tambien. I too am OK with Haz staying.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:51 pm

I really don't have a preference for DC ... I think that whomever is here has a lot of work to do - our defense needs a lot of help

I'd love for Haslett to get the job but ONLY to show a lot of the 'doubters' how mistaken they are in their thinking :twisted:

I also think our special Teams play will improve with better depth from having more cap money available and a good FO/scouting department

The DC is a fairly important hire as the offense will be fine under what I think will be Jay Gruden and Sean McVay - the offense has some good to great players to build around
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:58 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Yo tambien.

I started the "Don't Look Now" thread. Then the "In Defense of Haz' Defense" thread had an article that helped me reconsider my position along with the Maske article outlining Shanny's meddling.

Things like us playing top 8 after the first 3 games and our offense and special teams constantly putting us behind the 8 ball and guys blaming themselves for doing things like missing tackles after being put in perfect position.

So yeah, yo tambien. I too am OK with Haz staying.
... and, for those of you who are actually paying attention, this means exactly what it says... we are "OK" with Haz staying. Neither of us will complain if a clear upgrade is obtained... but, speaking for myself and not DM, I think Haslett is not the catastrophe that others have portrayed.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Watching the NFC playoff games, it's clear that one of the best ways to help RG3 in future would be to build an outstanding defence. I suspect that mediocre is the best we could ever hope for under Haslett.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:20 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Watching the NFC playoff games, it's clear that one of the best ways to help RG3 in future would be to build an outstanding defence. I suspect that mediocre is the best we could ever hope for under Haslett.
Reviewing the scores... multiple games with points totals in the 60's and 70's tells me that defense is not currently in vogue...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Countertrey wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:Watching the NFC playoff games, it's clear that one of the best ways to help RG3 in future would be to build an outstanding defence. I suspect that mediocre is the best we could ever hope for under Haslett.
Reviewing the scores... multiple games with points totals in the 60's and 70's tells me that defense is not currently in vogue...

Maybe in the AFC - but in the NFC?

Brady and Manning (P) don't need so much help. But Wilson, Kaepernick and Newton get a lot of help from their respective defences. I still think RG3 can be the best young QB in the NFC, but he gets less help from the rest of the team (and particularly the defence) than those guys.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:49 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Brady and Manning (P) don't need so much help. But Wilson, Kaepernick and Newton get a lot of help from their respective defences. I still think RG3 can be the best young QB in the NFC, but he gets less help from the rest of the team (and particularly the defence) than those guys.

No question. Good specials help too.

Is the "c" in defense a British/English thing?

Just found this:

Defence vs. defense

Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English. The spelling distinction extends to most derivatives of defence/defense, including defences/defenses and defenceless/defenseless. But the words defensive, defensiveness, and defensively have an s everywhere.

Though defense is now the American spelling, it is not American in origin. The OED and Google Books reveal examples of the spelling from as long ago as the 1300s, many centuries before the United States existed. That spelling continued to appear a fraction of the time through the 19th century, when it was taken up by American writers. Today, to the chagrin of those who dislike American English, the spelling is gaining ground throughout the English-speaking world.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:54 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Is the "c" in defense a British/English thing?

In short: yes! (or should that be yec? Lol)

It's a crazy and wonderful language :-)

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football