Sources: Jim Haslett to Continue as DC

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Sources: Jim Haslett to Continue as DC

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:35 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:What would be more puzzling about pursuing Guenther is that he's worked in the 4-3 rather than the 3-4. We already have a defensive coordinator trying to coach a scheme he isn't expert in - why go after another?

Unless (please let it be so) we are going to change to a 4-3?

Good coaches are good coaches.

I coach the other football, and I'm just as comfortable with the 4-4-2 as I am the 4-3-3. :)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:40 am

Having a good defense will help and having some decent depth will help the special teams' play ...

a combination of a number of things will see a change for the better in the product on the field this season

the biggest hurdle to overcome is on the defensive side - we have to add some players and make some adjustments on offense but we have such a good QB and other players to work with ... on defense there are some good players but there are just a lot of areas that require major help and the depth is also critical

we have our HC ... now we need a 'leader' as DC - and this guy is a critical ingredient
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:54 am

riggofan wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:What would be more puzzling about pursuing Guenther is that he's worked in the 4-3 rather than the 3-4. We already have a defensive coordinator trying to coach a scheme he isn't expert in - why go after another? Unless (please let it be so) we are going to change to a 4-3?

Good coaches are good coaches. I coach the other football, and I'm just as comfortable with the 4-4-2 as I am the 4-3-3. :)

I presume you mean soccer and I agree with your point - good coaches are good coaches

the fact is that the 4-3 or 3-4 is not as important as having the athletes and coach be on the same page and executing what you have practiced together

IN ANY SPORT - no defense works well if all the players are not executing the basics and playing with great desire

this is a team game and everyone (coaches and players) need to just do their jobs together

not tackling or not being in the right place are all a much more important ingredient for success than having a 'bad' base defense

I'm not a 'fan' of the 3-4 or the 4-3 ... I just want to see players playing to their capabilities, in the right place on the field and making tackles

a good coach will get his players to be accountable for the mistakes - minimizing the mistakes (& learning from them) is critical to success
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:39 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I presume you mean soccer

No, he means football. Everybody else is talking about Gridiron ;-)
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:14 pm

riggofan wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:What would be more puzzling about pursuing Guenther is that he's worked in the 4-3 rather than the 3-4. We already have a defensive coordinator trying to coach a scheme he isn't expert in - why go after another?

I coach the other football, and I'm just as comfortable with the 4-4-2 as I am the 4-3-3. :)

I do to and we actually went to a 4-2-1-2-1 for the last game of the season. :D
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:16 pm

If Haslett stays, one positive side is that he's older and more experienced, which is something the rest of our coaching staff will lack to greater and lesser degrees. Jay Gruden is relatively young for a HC. We've got one of the youngest OC's in NFL history. Raheem Morris is younger than London Fletcher.

With all of the turnover, it's not necessarily bad to keep someone as well established as Haslett is — yes, despite what some are claiming in this thread, the man is well known and respected as a coaching veteran. That kind of presence can help stabilize things in a changing environment.

I'm not saying he's a genius or that we wouldn't be better with an upgrade, but personally I don't see ejecting Haslett and promoting Morris as the answer.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:32 pm

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:

I do to and we actually went to a 4-2-1-2-1 for the last game of the season. :D

ha! Sounds like a Klinsmann formation.

Not having coached American football, I don't know if its an exact comparison. I would just expect that professional coaches are capable of coaching different schemes, know the strengths and weaknesses of those schemes, etc; We're just talking about lining up the linebackers and d-linemen differently, right?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:44 pm

riggofan wrote:Not having coached American football, I don't know if its an exact comparison. I would just expect that professional coaches are capable of coaching different schemes, know the strengths and weaknesses of those schemes, etc; We're just talking about lining up the linebackers and d-linemen differently, right?

Yes, the soccer formation is back to front, but football is front to back. So a 4-3 is 4 DL and 3 LB, while a 3-4 is 3 DL and 4 LB.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:35 am

A 4-3 or a 3-4 is just a base defense - there are many variations that are involved to try and confuse the opposing offense

no matter what base scheme we use if the players do not execute and tackle it is not the fault of the scheme

I do agree that Mike made an error in deciding to change to a 3-4 - it seems that Bill Belicheat persuaded Mike to consider this here ..

whatever ...

the biggest issue we had defensively was a big combination of factors: players not executing what they had practiced, players not making tackles, players not playing with much intensity and coaches making some bad play calls

a huge change is needed but whether Haslett is here or not is not as important as the players making the plays as well as they are capable

the players will play hard given stability above them - they did not have that the past four years

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:55 am

SkinsJock wrote:the biggest issue we had defensively was a big combination of factors: players not executing what they had practiced, players not making tackles, players not playing with much intensity and coaches making some bad play calls

I'm going to disagree just a bit. I think the biggest issue we had defensively was a lack of talent. No offense to those guys, but they can play with all the intensity in the world, they can practice hard and execute the game plan, we still need a few more play makers with the talent to consistently stop a guy like Shady McCoy.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:04 am

riggofan wrote:I'm going to disagree just a bit. I think the biggest issue we had defensively was a lack of talent. No offense to those guys, but they can play with all the intensity in the world, they can practice hard and execute the game plan, we still need a few more play makers with the talent to consistently stop a guy like Shady McCoy.

This is another reason why I think Haslett was unjustly criticized.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:36 am

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:the biggest issue we had defensively was a big combination of factors: players not executing what they had practiced, players not making tackles, players not playing with much intensity and coaches making some bad play calls

I'm going to disagree just a bit. I think the biggest issue we had defensively was a lack of talent. No offense to those guys, but they can play with all the intensity in the world, they can practice hard and execute the game plan, we still need a few more play makers with the talent to consistently stop a guy like Shady McCoy.

ABSOLUTELY - no question that our defense was hurt by a lack of talented players and by the lack of depth ...
this was exacerbated by the players not completely buying into what they were doing - this can be blamed on coaching but I would not put all that "on" Haslett

the team, as a whole, was not as intense as some of the teams we came up against ... or, it did not seem to play with much enthusiasm - this is on Mike

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Funny, just saw this post from Mike Jones on the Insider Mailbag today with the same comments about talent on the d side of the ball:

Shanahan did handcuff Haslett in some areas, but a lot of the problems on defense have been talent-related. If you go through his lineups, how many of those players would have started for other teams? The front seven hasn’t been terrible. But on the back end, the Redskins have lacked stability since before Haslett got here. LaRon Landry, Kareem Moore, Chris Horton, O.J. Atogwe, Madieu Williams, Jordan Pugh, Brandon Meriweather, DeJon Gomes, Bacarri Rambo (and Phillip Thomas and Tanard Jackson in the preseason) have lined up at safety for Haslett in the past four years. The Redskins also have gone through some cornerbacks. DeAngelo Hall and Josh Wilson have been here the longest under Haslett, but we’ve seen Carlos Rogers, Kevin Barnes, Byron Westbrook, Phillip Buchanon and Cedric Griffin all come and go. The second-round pick spent on David Amerson was the highest pick on a defensive back in these past four years. The Redskins this offseason need to make serious investments in their secondary if Haslett is to have a chance to succeed. In years past, they would’ve liked to have added Cortland Finnegan, Aqib Talib and Antoine Winfield, among others. But the salary-cap penalties prevented them from being able to meet those players’ asking prices. You know the saying, “You get what you pay for?” You could argue that outside of Ryan Kerrigan (first-round pick), Jarvis Jenkins (second-rounder), and free agents Barry Cofield, Stephen Bowen and Wilson, Washington has taken the clearance-rack approach to their shopping needs on defense the past four years. The Redskins faced little to no competition in their pursuits of many of those names above.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... -more-jay/

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:31 pm

We have 2 areas of great importance - the secondary and the O line ...

The offensive line players we have are not bad per se but they all don't 'fit' the style of offense these guys will play & some are just not good enough

The secondary needs major help and the front 7 needs to be better and have better depth

all in all the FO & scouting department need to have a stellar offseason with both free agents and the draft

same old story - it's like a broken record - 'we're hoping to see some improvement next season'

"let's forget about tomorrow, let's forget about tomorrow, let's forget about tomorrow for, tomorrow never comes ....."

HAIL

Currently 50-41

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:47 pm

My brother sent me a sarcastic metaphor concerning Haslett to point out why he should go. Here is the metaphor and my reply:

Me: So this is funny and on point but just for kicks I want to play devil's advocate and add to your sarcastic metaphor.

His sarcastic metaphor followed by my addendum:

I have a mechanic that fixes my car 23% of the time, I think I will tell other people how great he is and I will keep going to him. Why should I look for a new mechanic? I will give him another year and hope my friends will drive me to work.

Of course, before he became my mechanic the only experience he had with my particular car was 15 years ago when he changed the oil. Then a few years ago he became my mechanic but one of the big problems was all his boss did was give him broken tools and parts that really belonged on other cars. Plus his boss kept interfering whenever he was in the middle of a job. There is a new boss now who is likely to stop interfering so I think I want to keep this mechanic for one more year, give him good parts and good tools and see what happens. In hindsight it's actually a miracle he was able to fix my car 23% of the time.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football