Sources: Jim Haslett to Continue as DC

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Re: Sources: Jim Haslett to Continue as DC

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:57 pm

that is pretty funny DM

I'm not sure that Mike 'interfered' as much as is intimated but if the FO guys thought that Haslett was near as bad a DC as many here think, there's not a chance in the world they would have asked him to stay - IMO they have a better idea of what's really going on at Redskins Park than we do

I'm not a Haslett fan but I do think there's a reason that he was retained and I'm sure that Jay Gruden & the FO will be able to come to the best decision

Have any of the assistant coaching staff been signed to contracts yet?
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:42 pm

DarthMonk wrote:My brother sent me a sarcastic metaphor concerning Haslett to point out why he should go. Here is the metaphor and my reply:

Me: So this is funny and on point but just for kicks I want to play devil's advocate and add to your sarcastic metaphor.

His sarcastic metaphor followed by my addendum:

I have a mechanic that fixes my car 23% of the time, I think I will tell other people how great he is and I will keep going to him. Why should I look for a new mechanic? I will give him another year and hope my friends will drive me to work.

Of course, before he became my mechanic the only experience he had with my particular car was 15 years ago when he changed the oil. Then a few years ago he became my mechanic but one of the big problems was all his boss did was give him broken tools and parts that really belonged on other cars. Plus his boss kept interfering whenever he was in the middle of a job. There is a new boss now who is likely to stop interfering so I think I want to keep this mechanic for one more year, give him good parts and good tools and see what happens. In hindsight it's actually a miracle he was able to fix my car 23% of the time.

LMAO!!! Well your bro is pretty funny and it was a good analogy. I think most of us think the same. I do do think JH does well at times. His biggest failure IMO is adjustments. He has none.

I do like his gutsy calls at times. (If that was really him) Being a HC of New Orleans he must have done something right in order to be coach of the year. What we learned from all of this is that JH never wanted to run the 34 with the players we had. So it really is sort of up in the air. If he fails then I hope he gets the axe after his first year with Gruden. Gruden probably learned from watching what happened to Mike.... Changing too many things at once will take forever. If JH can get us to mediocre and sustain that, we will have a shot if our offense can produce the points we had in Roberts first year. ST can't get any worse so if they can become half way decent then we win many games with all of the combined.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:My brother sent me a sarcastic metaphor concerning Haslett to point out why he should go. Here is the metaphor and my reply:

Me: So this is funny and on point but just for kicks I want to play devil's advocate and add to your sarcastic metaphor.

His sarcastic metaphor followed by my addendum:

I have a mechanic that fixes my car 23% of the time, I think I will tell other people how great he is and I will keep going to him. Why should I look for a new mechanic? I will give him another year and hope my friends will drive me to work.

Of course, before he became my mechanic the only experience he had with my particular car was 15 years ago when he changed the oil. Then a few years ago he became my mechanic but one of the big problems was all his boss did was give him broken tools and parts that really belonged on other cars. Plus his boss kept interfering whenever he was in the middle of a job. There is a new boss now who is likely to stop interfering so I think I want to keep this mechanic for one more year, give him good parts and good tools and see what happens. In hindsight it's actually a miracle he was able to fix my car 23% of the time.

LMAO!!! Well your bro is pretty funny and it was a good analogy. I think most of us think the same. I do do think JH does well at times. His biggest failure IMO is adjustments. He has none.

I do like his gutsy calls at times. (If that was really him) Being a HC of New Orleans he must have done something right in order to be coach of the year. What we learned from all of this is that JH never wanted to run the 34 with the players we had. So it really is sort of up in the air. If he fails then I hope he gets the axe after his first year with Gruden. Gruden probably learned from watching what happened to Mike.... Changing too many things at once will take forever. If JH can get us to mediocre and sustain that, we will have a shot if our offense can produce the points we had in Roberts first year. ST can't get any worse so if they can become half way decent then we win many games with all of the combined.

Huge point there. :!:
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Special Teams gets a whole lot better by having better players - we had no depth = WE HAD NO SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS - duh :wink:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:54 am

1. Mike was too involved with the defense.
2. Mike selected Haz's coaches.
3. Mike was too involved in who played on defense.
4. Mike picked what defense to run (3-4).

It's apparent that the reports listed above have some truth to them because the FO retained specific coaches. To what degree? We won't be sure. I'm ok with giving him a real chance to run the defense the way he wants.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:19 am

I believe our defensive struggles are because of the lack of player talent, not coaching.

Haslett will be good with better players.

Did anyone see the news the Skins hired Brian Baker, Outside linebacker coach for the Browns in 2013? Apparently, he played for the Terps, anyone remember him, know him or even hear this news? It was reported on Comcast Sportsnet last night.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:05 pm

Not surprising at this point, but its official. I guess this is what it is, and no choice but to live with it and hope for the best. Still kind of bums me out with Wade Phillips still out there unemployed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... ordinator/
The Washington Redskins will retain Jim Haslett as their defensive coordinator and will look into the possibility of extending Haslett’s contract, Coach Jay Gruden said Friday.

“He has one year left on his contract,” Gruden said in a telephone interview. “I’ll talk to Bruce [Allen, the team's general manager] and we’ll talk to [Haslett] and see what we can do there. But definitely he’ll be back next year as coordinator.”

People close to the situation had said since Gruden was hired as the team’s head coach that Haslett would be retained as a holdover from the staff of the Redskins’ previous coach, Mike Shanahan. But Gruden did not commit to that at his introductory news conference and the Redskins had not officially clarified Haslett’s status until Gruden’s comments Friday.

Update (3:08 p.m.): Gruden said he also will retain offensive line coach Chris Foerster.

“We feel good about retaining both of them,” Gruden said. “I feel confident they’ll both be here.”

Gruden confirmed that he is considering Earnest Byner as his running backs coach and said he intends to hire Ike Hilliard as his wide receivers coach. Hilliard previously coached for the Redskins and served as the Buffalo Bills’ wide receivers coach this season but was not retained.

“I have talked to Ike,” Gruden said. “I’ve known him a long time. That’s something we are going to pursue and we’ll make that happen.”

Gruden’s coaching staff is taking shape.

“I’m hoping to have it done by next week,” he said.

The Redskins announced soon after Gruden made his comments that they were retaining Haslett and Foerster and that they’d hired Wes Phillips as their tight ends coach. Phillips, the son of longtime NFL coach Wade Phillips, had been the Dallas Cowboys’ tight ends coach.

The Redskins previously had announced the elevation of Sean McVay from tight ends coach to offensive coordinator. They’d confirmed that they were keeping Raheem Morris as their secondary coach and Jacob Burney as their defensive line coach and they’d announced the hirings of Ben Kotwica as special teams coach, Brian Baker as outside linebackers coach and Kirk Olivadotti as inside linebackers coach.

Haslett, McVay and Morris had worked with Gruden in the past. McVay and Morris worked with him with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and McVay and Haslett worked with him in the United Football League.

The Redskins ranked 18th in the league in total defense and 30th in scoring defense this season, when they went 3-13. Haslett has been criticized by some fans and media members during his tenure with the team. But he managed to get the defense to contribute to the team’s run to an NFC East title in the 2012 season and some within the organization are confident he can produce a productive defense if he is supplied with enough talented players.

The Redskins have many of their defensive starters eligible for free agency this offseason but also will have available salary cap space, with the expiration of their two-year, $36 million salary cap penalty by the league, to rebuild.

The team pursued Cincinnati Bengals linebackers coach Paul Guenther. But he remained with the Bengals and was elevated to defensive coordinator there to replace Mike Zimmer, who was hired as head coach of the Minnesota Vikings.

“I wasn’t trying to poach anyone off of their staff,” Gruden said. “If Coach Zimmer had not gotten a head coaching job and he was going to stay there as the linebackers coach, I was going to try to get him. Fortunately it worked out for everybody.”

Gruden said he won’t attend the Senior Bowl practices next week in Mobile, Ala.

“I’m going to stay here with Sean and get started on the offense,” he said.

He said he just has started his player evaluations. The team’s focus will turn to free agency and the NFL draft once Gruden completes assembling his coaching staff.

“I’ve started,” Gruden said. “Slowly but surely we’ll really get into that. We’ll really start on that next week. There’s a lot to do in a short amount of time.”

Gruden has spoken to Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III, but the scope of their discussion has been limited so far by the league’s rules governing offseason activities.

“The rules kind of handcuff you,” Gruden said. “We can’t talk football yet. I know he’s excited. We’re eager to get started, but we’ve got to hold him back. That time will come.”

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:10 pm

I can't seem to find this type of praise for Haz...

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011 ... n-houston/

Wade Phillips has performed one of the great coaching turnarounds in N.F.L. history. Each of the past few seasons, Gary Kubiak’s Texans have been on the verge of making the playoffs but have been undone by inept defenses. Houston joined the league as an expansion team in 2002, and its defense has never been very good, struggling in various measures of efficiency. But the bottom fell out on the Texans in 2010, when they had one of the league’s worst defensive seasons.Consider that last season:

-Houston allowed 4,280 passing yards, the seventh most by an N.F.L. team. Houston allowed quarterbacks to average 7.5 adjusted net yards per pass attempt, one of the 20 worst performances in league history. Houston’s era-adjusted performances are not as bad, but there’s no getting around the fact that the Texans’ defense — and the pass defense in particular — was abysmal last season;

-No defense allowed more passing yards, more passing touchdowns or more adjusted net yards per attempt (ANY/A) than the Texans;

-Houston ranked 29th in points allowed, 30th in yards allowed and 31st in first downs allowed;

Phillips has transformed Houston’s defense from a laughingstock in 2010 to one of the best defenses of 2011. I’m not sure if it’s possible to do a better job as a coordinator. If the Texans shoot from No. 29 to No. 2 in points allowed, that will be a coaching achievement that ranks among the most impressive in modern league history.

](*,)

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:37 pm

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:20 am

I guess he is wanted by other clubs http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... w-haslett/

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:30 am

Kilmer72 wrote:I guess he is wanted by other clubs http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... w-haslett/

I guess Rex heard he was easy to manipulate.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:12 am

Report: Redskins blocked Jets’ request to interview Haslett
Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2014, 8:57 PM EST

If the Redskins hadn’t decided to keep defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, he likely would have landed on his feet elsewhere. In one of two different places.

According to Chris Russell of ESPN 980, Washington denied a request by the Jets to interview defensive coordinator Jim Haslett. At least one other team also was interested in Haslett, but couldn’t get permission to talk to him.

Haslett presumably would have replaced Dennis Thurman as defensive coordinator in New York. Rich Cimini of ESPN.com recently reported that Thurman is likely to return for 2013, which would be his second season as defensive coordinator.

That just blows my mind. I'm fulling willing to accept that there are football people out there who know way more than we fans do. This is one of those things where I'm just going to hope the football people know something that I don't, and Haslett is going to blow us all away this year.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:36 am

riggofan wrote:
Report: Redskins blocked Jets’ request to interview Haslett
Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2014, 8:57 PM EST

If the Redskins hadn’t decided to keep defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, he likely would have landed on his feet elsewhere. In one of two different places.

According to Chris Russell of ESPN 980, Washington denied a request by the Jets to interview defensive coordinator Jim Haslett. At least one other team also was interested in Haslett, but couldn’t get permission to talk to him.

Haslett presumably would have replaced Dennis Thurman as defensive coordinator in New York. Rich Cimini of ESPN.com recently reported that Thurman is likely to return for 2013, which would be his second season as defensive coordinator.

That just blows my mind. I'm fulling willing to accept that there are football people out there who know way more than we fans do. This is one of those things where I'm just going to hope the football people know something that I don't, and Haslett is going to blow us all away this year.

It blows me away how people can be so stubborn and not know 1/10 of the facts. Our FO kept him... Our HC speaks highly of him. Other teams in the league wanted his services... The guy isn't Lombardi but he's a good coach. And like any coach he has to have the proper support. He didn't have that.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:58 pm

^^ Bingo. =D> There is a REASON that, 1: the Redskins kept him, and, 2: other teams want him.

Obviously, they are all idiots who know nothing of the game :roll:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Countertrey wrote:^^ Bingo. =D> There is a REASON that, 1: the Redskins kept him, and, 2: other teams want him.

Obviously, they are all idiots who know nothing of the game :roll:

Yes, there is a reason the Redskins kept him. I admit I don't know what that reason is.

Reportedly, other teams have wanted him, but I won't blindly assume they wanted him as defensive coordinator. Curious that I don't remember those stories emerging at the time of the alleged interest. But I admit that I might just have missed the story, or forgotten it.

I wouldn't argue that anybody who rates Jim Haslett as a good coach is some kind of idiot. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with their opinion either. Honestly, I'll be delighted if the newly empowered Haslett, with his own staff and full control of the defence, turns out a decent defence next year. And the year after that. And the year after that.

But I find it very hard to look beyond these numbers: 30, 22, 21, 21, 31, 31 , 28, 28, 27, 14, 26, 27, 10, 12, 7, 11, 20. That's the league ranking of Haslett's defences (by points allowed) over his time in the NFL as a coach - in reverse chronological order.

Or: 18, 28, 13, 31, 28, 21, 23, 14, 32, 18, 27, 16, 8, 11, 12, 6, 13. Again, in reverse chronological order, Haslett's defence's rankings (by yards allowed).

Statistics don't tell the whole story, of course, but there is nothing in those numbers to give me any cause for hope. I hope the Redskins' decision to retain him is the right one, but I'm not going to agree with their decision simply because they know a lot more about the game than I do. Years ago, there was a footballer (the real kind of football) called Gary Stevens. Time after time, the England coach of the time selected him to play for his country, when many supporters could only roll their eyes and say "why?". It was baffling to many of us. But Bobby Robson kept on selecting him, and Bobby knew more about football than I will ever know, even if I live another hundred lives.

Jim Haslett is my NFL equivalent of Gary Stevens - I have no clue why he's got a job, but other people with more knowledge than me obviously think he's the right man for the job. I have to respect their opinion, but I don't have to like it.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football