What offense to run?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
||||||

What offense to run?

Postby EA7649 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:04 pm

Gruden's the new coach. But what will he do as the coach or tell the offensive coordinator to run? There is already a report Robert is adamant he wants to run a pro-style offense and no read-option according to Ian Rapopart. I don't know how much merit he has. But my input is do this, since Robert will have a longer career if he's a pocket passer. They should groom Robert as a pocket passer so he gets better at it, while running both pocket passing and read-option at times and see where it leads. The QB is a dynamic quarterback with his skills and can't completely throw it away, so just do less read-option in the games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

||||||

Re: What offense to run?

Postby EA7649 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:18 pm

Well never mind. I'm sure they will run the different QB options well. I hope there is no conflict with the QB and the coach http://www.csnwashington.com/football-w ... ead-option

swine

Postby RG3peat » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:47 pm

Yep, needs to progress as a pro style qb...still move the pocket, bootlegs and YES still a little option....they just need better formation in the pistol....all that tight 1 read garbage with WRs lining up in backfield was just STUPID.... HOW ABOUT ERIC DECKER as a #2 (or 1) PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:49 pm

EA7649 wrote:Gruden's the new coach. But what will he do as the coach or tell the offensive coordinator to run? There is already a report Robert is adamant he wants to run a pro-style offense and no read-option according to Ian Rapopart. I don't know how much merit he has. But my input is do this, since Robert will have a longer career if he's a pocket passer. They should groom Robert as a pocket passer so he gets better at it, while running both pocket passing and read-option at times and see where it leads. The QB is a dynamic quarterback with his skills and can't completely throw it away, so just do less read-option in the games.

Griffin wants to run a pro-style offense and become a pocket passer according to the article that doesn't have quotes from Griffin on the subject. I find it hard to believe Griffin is gung-ho to become a pocket passer when he hasn't invested enough time and effort to learn how to read defenses and change protections. I'd love to drop 30 pounds but wishing and wanting doesn't make it happen, I don't want to enough to change my diet and exercise enough to make it happen and Griffin doesn't any more motivated than me. Why didn't he spend enough time watching video and talking with the coaches and Rex or Kirk to figure it out?

If Gruden wants to start Griffin he needs to include some read option and backyard stuff that Griffin know how to do.

swine

Postby cowboyhater4life » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:59 pm

Is Gruden going to be calling the plays? I think it would be wise to give up playing calling to focus in on game management. He should focus in on play design and game management.
R.I.P. Taylor!

swine

Postby RG3peat » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:08 pm

OldSchool wrote:
EA7649 wrote:Gruden's the new coach. But what will he do as the coach or tell the offensive coordinator to run? There is already a report Robert is adamant he wants to run a pro-style offense and no read-option according to Ian Rapopart. I don't know how much merit he has. But my input is do this, since Robert will have a longer career if he's a pocket passer. They should groom Robert as a pocket passer so he gets better at it, while running both pocket passing and read-option at times and see where it leads. The QB is a dynamic quarterback with his skills and can't completely throw it away, so just do less read-option in the games.

Griffin wants to run a pro-style offense and become a pocket passer according to the article that doesn't have quotes from Griffin on the subject. I find it hard to believe Griffin is gung-ho to become a pocket passer when he hasn't invested enough time and effort to learn how to read defenses and change protections. I'd love to drop 30 pounds but wishing and wanting doesn't make it happen, I don't want to enough to change my diet and exercise enough to make it happen and Griffin doesn't any more motivated than me. Why didn't he spend enough time watching video and talking with the coaches and Rex or Kirk to figure it out?

If Gruden wants to start Griffin he needs to include some read option and backyard stuff that Griffin know how to do.

I agree somewhat....watching tape and consulting can only go so far....besides, how can you watch tape of a defense that are playing PRO STYLE offenses when we did not? There are no tendancies to go by cause there is no tape of those defenses going up against our formations...NOBODY else ran those crappy zone read crap with TEs and WRs in the backfield (not as much as we used it)....RG3 had 1/2 a playbook as he couldnt run like his rookie year due to injury/brace and he didnt get the footwork/timing all offseason to run a normal offense...it was a wasted year.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:44 pm

OldSchool wrote:

Case closed... If OldSchool said it, it MUST be true (at least, in the Sally Jenkins school of truth)! :roll:

There is every indication that Griffin worked his tail off.

OTOH, it's interesting how two people with very different perspectives can arrive at similar bottom lines...
My opinion...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:47 pm

Please don't feed trolls no matter how old they are.

For anyone to suggest anything on rg3s work ethic, is just ignorance. Coming back.from major surgery on two legs is what he focused on in the off-season.. As far as watching tape, players are quoted saying he is first in and last out. So make empty statements about how he wasn't accurate and didn't go through his proggressions enough all u want.. but save the other members the boredom of reading posts about his work ethic and character. If you followed the man from Baylor instead of jus crying about him not taking us to another division title, you'd know his military background instilled a terrific work.ethic.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:53 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Please don't feed trolls no matter how old they are.

For anyone to suggest anything on rg3s work ethic, is just ignorance. Coming back.from major surgery on two legs is what he focused on in the off-season.. As far as watching tape, players are quoted saying he is first in and last out. So make empty statements about how he wasn't accurate and didn't go through his proggressions enough all u want.. but save the other members the boredom of reading posts about his work ethic and character. If you followed the man from Baylor instead of jus crying about him not taking us to another division title, you'd know his military background instilled a terrific work.ethic.

LMAO!!! Robert has never worked hard. He only had a scratch. Anyone could have come back from that in 1/4 of the time. That there should show you how hard he worked. He must have been playing Xbox and eating cheetos all day. What's wrong with him? :lol:

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:22 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:

LMAO!!! Robert has never worked hard. He only had a scratch. Anyone could have come back from that in 1/4 of the time. That there should show you how hard he worked. He must have been playing Xbox and eating cheetos all day. What's wrong with him? :lol:

I agree with cowboy. Whoever say he isn't a hard worker they are ignorant. He had to recover from a torn ACL twice. Once in school and in the NFL. He worked incredibly hard and continues to work hard. Plus he's a gym rat. I bet you...that some of these workers for the Redskins, have never seen a player with harder work ethic. hope you guys were being sarcastic

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:29 pm

EA7649 wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:

I agree with cowboy. Whoever say he isn't a hard worker they are ignorant. He had to recover from a torn ACL twice. Once in school and in the NFL. He worked incredibly hard and continues to work hard. Plus he's a gym rat. I bet you...that some of these workers for the Redskins, have never seen a player with harder work ethic. hope you guys were being sarcastic

It was said in jest. Notice the laughing. cowboykillerz knows I have defended him plenty. No sense of humor these days. :(

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:33 am

It's hard to tell around here some times Kilmer! Hell the garbage old people write on here is case in point!
Most of that crap.they actually believe!

I think rgiii will flourish with Gruden here.. we may or may not.see some.option stuff... As well as designed qb runs. Gruden will look to exploit defenses and attack their weaknesses as well as develop RGiii to.take it to the next level... He has some weapons at his disposal and you'd be a fool not to utilize both the arm and feet of Robert.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:44 am

I hate old people.

Postby AldersonSkinsFan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:38 am

Im hoping Gruden realizes how much of an insane talent Morris is and uses him to the best of his ability. Im so stoked right now. They had Dalton, Bernard, Green, and Gresham. We got RG3, Morris, Garcon, and Reed. I cant wait to see how explosive Gruden can make this team. I truly believe we have a shot if we build the defense to be a SB contender in 3 seasons. I hevent been this stoked since we got Gibbs. Ive liked Gruden since he was the head coach for Orlando in the AFL.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:37 am

I think if healthy and with a full offseason, RG3 will be a lot better in a pro style next year. I thought one of the biggest problems this year was his LACK of mobility. I don't think his knee was healthy enough for him to make quick lateral moves, being that Cousins looked faster than he did IMO. Sure his straight line speed was fine, but that doesn't help in the pocket. He should be much harder to pressure next year, thus making a pro style offense more feasible. It also wouldn't hurt to get some interior linemen that can pass block, which would actually create a pocket, which is something that did not exist in the Shanny era.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football