What offense to run?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
B-rad

Re: What offense to run?

Postby brad7686 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:40 am

AldersonSkinsFan wrote:Im hoping Gruden realizes how much of an insane talent Morris is and uses him to the best of his ability. Im so stoked right now. They had Dalton, Bernard, Green, and Gresham. We got RG3, Morris, Garcon, and Reed. I cant wait to see how explosive Gruden can make this team. I truly believe we have a shot if we build the defense to be a SB contender in 3 seasons. I hevent been this stoked since we got Gibbs. Ive liked Gruden since he was the head coach for Orlando in the AFL.

Yea I'm also afraid of him not running the ball enough, especially if our receiver situation doesn't improve much. It will depend on the personnel whether it will be better to run and set up the pass or pass and set up the run. I think Gruden would prefer to do the latter.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:51 am

nit picking is a specialty here ... :D

the question is not 'what offense will Jay Gruden choose to use' - the question is 'how will Jay Gruden make this offense be more effective'

part of the reason we brought in an offensive minded HC is to make the offense better - who cares how he does it as long as it's better

Jay Gruden's going to do what will be most effective for this group of players - not what he's done with other players

I'm kind of excited about the Gruden/McVay combination and having an incredibly motivated, improved RG3, behind center :lol:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 am

Pretty sure I heard or read yesterday that Gruden is planning to call plays. I'm not going to pretend to know if that is a good or bad idea, just is what it is.

I watched a lot of JG's press conference and media interviews yesterday. I thought one of the best answers he gave was in response to this annoying lady on channel 9 who asked something along the lines of "RGIII didn't live up to his potential this season, what can you do to make him better?"

Gruden was almost incredulous and very dismissive. I'm summarizing but his response was "Robert is only in his second year! It takes some quarterbacks six or seven years to fully grasp everything about the position." To me it was exactly the right tone and response. He didn't say it this bluntly, but it came across like, "What kind of idiot are you?" and struck me as very protective of the QB. I don't think Shanahan was always so willing to stand up for RGIII that way.

I really think there is potential for a great relationship between Gruden and RGIII. He spoke repeatedly yesterday about looking out for the players, and he clearly understands the QB position from personal experience. Got my fingers crossed that things turn out well for them both.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:57 am

OldSchool wrote:I find it hard to believe Griffin is gung-ho to become a pocket passer when he hasn't invested enough time and effort to learn how to read defenses and change protections.

Where do you get this stuff?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:08 am

Why do you guys assume OldSchool is old? He seems very young to me, and his user name is probably just an homage to the Will Ferrell movie.

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:26 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:It's hard to tell around here some times Kilmer! Most of that crap.they actually believe!

I'll just note, for the record... EA called you "cowboy"... :mrgreen:

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Hell the garbage old people write on here is case in point!

ummm... Monkey
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:35 am

SkinsJock wrote:nit picking is a specialty here ... :D

the question is not 'what offense will Jay Gruden choose to use' - the question is 'how will Jay Gruden make this offense be more effective'
Not really... Gruden is an adherent to the WCO... in his mind, a ball control passing game is no different from the ground game... taking small chunks, and keeping the clock running, to control TOP. Expect to see the WCO installed... assuming Gruden and Allen are able to do something with the O-line... ours will not hold up in the WCO.

SkinsJock wrote:part of the reason we brought in an offensive minded HC is to make the offense better - who cares how he does it as long as it's better

Jay Gruden's going to do what will be most effective for this group of players - not what he's done with other players

I'm kind of excited about the Gruden/McVay combination and having an incredibly motivated, improved RG3, behind center :lol:
Can't say that I disagree with this... except that I do think he is very committed to moving to the WCO... hopefully, he will adapt until he gets all of the needed pieces... which means possession receivers and an O-line that can straight up pass protect a learning quarterback.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Jay Gruden may be a WCO guy but he's also the HC here now - he will put together a staff and a roster that will be able to execute the game plan that takes best advantage of the players he has - I'm not concerned that he will not find a way to use players that will be helpful to his offense

suggesting that because he favors a certain scheme and that scheme does not suit the player on his roster is just nit picking and is not going to happen

Gruden was brought here to make this franchise consistently competitive - he will assemble a staff and a roster to get that done

We will not have players on the roster or keep players that don't suit what we need to do no matter how 'good' they are
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Countertrey wrote:

Not really... Gruden is an adherent to the WCO... in his mind, a ball control passing game is no different from the ground game... taking small chunks, and keeping the clock running, to control TOP. Expect to see the WCO installed... assuming Gruden and Allen are able to do something with the O-line... ours will not hold up in the WCO.

Roger Craig did OK as a RB in the WCO. Just sayin'.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:44 pm

Countertrey wrote:

Can't say that I disagree with this... except that I do think he is very committed to moving to the WCO... hopefully, he will adapt until he gets all of the needed pieces... which means possession receivers and an O-line that can straight up pass protect a learning quarterback.

This is key. WCO short pass ball control with this oline? We can't fix it all this year I don't believe, although plugging aging vets might be an upgrade.. A center and RT would help. I wouldn't be surprised to see everyone gone to the right of Trent by means of draft and FA. Our center who I think is talented is just too small. Upgrade there and the guys next to him will do better.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:27 pm

I think what we need to do is acquire more players. We need someone opposite of Garcon and I want Hakeem Nicks. Garcon, Nicks, Reed, Morris/Helu, RGIII. Gruden will be able to run whatever he wants with those tools at hand. Whatever offense he runs will remain stagnant without a viable candidate to play opposite of Garcon.

In addition, Gruden needs to find a way to get Garcon and Robinson on the field at the same time. Robinson really started to show up, I hope he keeps it going. There's too much speed on our sidelines. Get them on the field, coach them up.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:34 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

Roger Craig did OK as a RB in the WCO. Just sayin'.

It's not about the running back... but, if it were, keep in mind that Roger Craig was an excellent receiver out of the backfield... Albert generally comes off the field on 3rd down for a reason...

My POINT is NOT nit picking. This is a team that is, essentially, without an offensive line. I doubt it will be fully rebuilt for next season. This is a team that has a quarterback who STILL takes too much time to make reads. Yes, he will learn that, made lots of progress... but it's also true that practice speed is NOT the same as Game speed... and it's always good to have the security blanket of 5-7 seconds in the pocket instead of the 3-5 seconds he got in 2013. THAT is not going to magically change with coaching. Think all of the flowery thoughts you want, I think this coach has a considerable project before he gets the team he wants.

Don't get me wrong... I love the selection of Gruden... I think he's the right guy... I think he's perfect to help Griffin maximize his potential... but there ain't no magic here, folks. There are repairs to be made... and they won't all be made in 2014.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Roger Craig did OK as a RB in the WCO. Just sayin'.

It's not about the running back... but, if it were, keep in mind that Roger Craig was an excellent receiver out of the backfield... Albert generally comes off the field on 3rd down for a reason...

I wasn't disagreeing with you, but pointing out that a RB can still do well in a WCO. I think Morris has better hands than many give him credit for. I think the reason he came off on 3rd downs was to get more speed at the position, not because he can't catch.

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Countertrey - my nit picking comment was in reference to the post that pointed out that because Jay Gruden runs the WCO he would not take advantage of the great FB we have in DY - my point is that Jay Gruden is a good enough offensive coordinator, he will use any and all the talent he has

the guy has just arrived and already some are concerned about who will he use and when :shock:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Deadskins wrote:Why do you guys assume OldSchool is old? He seems very young to me, and his user name is probably just an homage to the Will Ferrell movie.

I would not have a clue - I never read trash or posts by trolls

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football