What offense to run?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
Posts: 2481
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: What offense to run?

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:31 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Countertrey - my nit picking comment was in reference to the post that pointed out that because Jay Gruden runs the WCO he would not take advantage of the great FB we have in DY - my point is that Jay Gruden is a good enough offensive coordinator, he will use any and all the talent he has

the guy has just arrived and already some are concerned about who will he use and when :shock:


Oh well that must have been a reference to me then seeing as I said it. I am going by what was said to DY on 980. Apparently they (Cincy) do not use the full back much at all except blocking on occasion. Then again the way the league has been changing suggest that many teams are going away from that. My point is when you have a talented Fullback like we do it would be a waste not to use all he can give. He has hands and he can run. Those are things that Jay didn't do much of with his fullback. Correct me if I am wrong. I will be pleasantly pleased to find out otherwise.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16260
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: What offense to run?

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:38 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Why do you guys assume OldSchool is old? He seems very young to me, and his user name is probably just an homage to the Will Ferrell movie.


I would not have a clue

Yeah, and for you youngsters, it doesn't get any older than SkinsJock. :twisted:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13728
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Re: What offense to run?

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:04 pm

I think it's a little early to nit pick the way that the offense might be set up here :twisted:

if it makes you happy, go right ahead
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog
Posts: 2481
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: What offense to run?

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:08 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I think it's a little early to nit pick the way that the offense might be set up here :twisted:

if it makes you happy, go right ahead


:wink:

CKRGiii
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: What offense to run?

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Countertrey wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:It's hard to tell around here some times Kilmer! Most of that crap.they actually believe!

I'll just note, for the record... EA called you "cowboy"... :mrgreen:

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Hell the garbage old people write on here is case in point!

ummm... Monkey

Stirin the pot eh, CT!
Ha ha I gave EA a pass since we were both shaking our heads at a ridiculous post... Didn't feel like correcting him that cowboyKiller , ckrgiii, or Ckr are the only accepted abbreviations! :twisted:

As for old.. I meant old posts! Lmao Ur still young at heart right?! I've seen u in smack, def not considered old by those terms! Bwaaaa ha ha
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
Posts: 2481
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: What offense to run?

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:18 pm

Ridiculous!!! I prefer crazy. :cry: I'll admit I a had a bit too much Brandy but hey what can I say?

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13728
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Re: What offense to run?

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:40 pm

I think it's fairly obvious to most of you when I've had a few too many :oops:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: What offense to run?

Postby OldSchool » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:31 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Please don't feed trolls no matter how old they are.

For anyone to suggest anything on rg3s work ethic, is just ignorance. Coming back.from major surgery on two legs is what he focused on in the off-season.. As far as watching tape, players are quoted saying he is first in and last out. So make empty statements about how he wasn't accurate and didn't go through his proggressions enough all u want.. but save the other members the boredom of reading posts about his work ethic and character. If you followed the man from Baylor instead of jus crying about him not taking us to another division title, you'd know his military background instilled a terrific work.ethic.


Why didn't Griffin know how to read defenses and make pre snap protection calls in season 2? I would like one of you Griffin enthusiasts to explain that to me assuming of course you understand what that means and how that is crucial to understanding what to do after the snap.

This isn't something I just observed Cooley called him out on it also. Year 2 and RG3first1second hasn't learned to even do that most basic part of thinking mans game. Making accurate pre snap reads is precursor to being able to know who is going to be open and properly go through progresses. It's been 2 years and we are told Griffin is bright so why hasn't he started to learn this stuff?

|||
Posts: 4325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Re: What offense to run?

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:48 am

I think the offense we have already was fine. Just need Griff to get fully healthy and shore up the offensive line. We have Alf and a solid running game. Pass protection needs to improve. Either we draft or grab a free agent tackle/guard. Not too much needs to be added to the offense.

As far as Griff goes I expect to see a vengence year coming.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge
Online
Posts: 14799
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: What offense to run?

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:26 pm

OldSchool wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Please don't feed trolls no matter how old they are.

For anyone to suggest anything on rg3s work ethic, is just ignorance. Coming back.from major surgery on two legs is what he focused on in the off-season.. As far as watching tape, players are quoted saying he is first in and last out. So make empty statements about how he wasn't accurate and didn't go through his proggressions enough all u want.. but save the other members the boredom of reading posts about his work ethic and character. If you followed the man from Baylor instead of jus crying about him not taking us to another division title, you'd know his military background instilled a terrific work.ethic.


Why didn't Griffin know how to read defenses and make pre snap protection calls in season 2? I would like one of you Griffin enthusiasts to explain that to me assuming of course you understand what that means and how that is crucial to understanding what to do after the snap.

This isn't something I just observed Cooley called him out on it also. Year 2 and RG3first1second hasn't learned to even do that most basic part of thinking mans game. Making accurate pre snap reads is precursor to being able to know who is going to be open and properly go through progresses. It's been 2 years and we are told Griffin is bright so why hasn't he started to learn this stuff?
You and your damned red herrings... In those games where his protection was adequate, he was working his progressions, and making reads... so he is, obviously, learning. Clearly, you have no clue of the concept of "the game slowing down", the development of muscle memory, of the process of converting deliberate thought into the automatic... :roll:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13728
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Re: What offense to run?

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:48 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:I think the offense we have already was fine. Just need Griff to get fully healthy and shore up the offensive line. We have Alf and a solid running game. Pass protection needs to improve. Either we draft or grab a free agent tackle/guard. Not too much needs to be added to the offense.
As far as Griff goes I expect to see a vengence year coming.

G'day HH - I think that RG3 is going to surprise a lot of us because of what he will get done on his own part this offseason and also with the new offensive scheme

I would be very surprised if there are not a lot of changes scheme wise and with the O line blocking, especially pass protection ...

I am not suggesting that Kyle was a bad OC but I think that these new guys will re-invent the wheel here and take advantage of what they have with RG3, Morris, Garcon, Reed and T Williams but also add a lot more players and plays that have more of the WCO plays in there

we may need 1 WR to complement Garcon but the O line will definitely need changing and we must have quality depth
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: What offense to run?

Postby OldSchool » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:38 pm

Countertrey wrote:
OldSchool wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Please don't feed trolls no matter how old they are.

For anyone to suggest anything on rg3s work ethic, is just ignorance. Coming back.from major surgery on two legs is what he focused on in the off-season.. As far as watching tape, players are quoted saying he is first in and last out. So make empty statements about how he wasn't accurate and didn't go through his proggressions enough all u want.. but save the other members the boredom of reading posts about his work ethic and character. If you followed the man from Baylor instead of jus crying about him not taking us to another division title, you'd know his military background instilled a terrific work.ethic.


Why didn't Griffin know how to read defenses and make pre snap protection calls in season 2? I would like one of you Griffin enthusiasts to explain that to me assuming of course you understand what that means and how that is crucial to understanding what to do after the snap.

This isn't something I just observed Cooley called him out on it also. Year 2 and RG3first1second hasn't learned to even do that most basic part of thinking mans game. Making accurate pre snap reads is precursor to being able to know who is going to be open and properly go through progresses. It's been 2 years and we are told Griffin is bright so why hasn't he started to learn this stuff?
You and your damned red herrings... In those games where his protection was adequate, he was working his progressions, and making reads... so he is, obviously, learning. Clearly, you have no clue of the concept of "the game slowing down", the development of muscle memory, of the process of converting deliberate thought into the automatic... :roll:


The game "slows down" when QB's understand things well enough to speed up the decision process enough to be successful. Tell me how Griffin speeds up his process without first learning how to make pre snap reads? Put down the Griffin koolaid and think critically. He was so mobile in the past he was able to do an end around this hurdle the real quarterbacks need to get over to succeed and play backyard ball.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5024
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: What offense to run?

Postby riggofan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:49 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:I think the offense we have already was fine. Just need Griff to get fully healthy and shore up the offensive line. We have Alf and a solid running game. Pass protection needs to improve. Either we draft or grab a free agent tackle/guard. Not too much needs to be added to the offense.


Totally agree. I'm most curious what Gruden will want to do with the offensive line. Will it be Trent Williams and four completely new guys?

The 2014 draft is supposed to be pretty deep at WR. Might be a luxury given all of the needs on defense, but still seems like we need somebody opposite Garcon. Would you be tempted if 6'5" 233lb Kelvin Benjamin is available with that second round pick?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5024
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: What offense to run?

Postby riggofan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:50 pm

OldSchool wrote:The game "slows down" when QB's understand things well enough to speed up the decision process enough to be successful. Tell me how Griffin speeds up his process without first learning how to make pre snap reads? Put down the Griffin koolaid and think critically. He was so mobile in the past he was able to do an end around this hurdle the real quarterbacks need to get over to succeed and play backyard ball.


Seriously can you guys please stop debating this idiot?

Pre-snap reads. Give me a freaking break.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Hagerstown ,Md.

Re: What offense to run?

Postby jmooney » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:09 pm

One thing that I find interesting is that Bobby Turner is still here. Now , he was a Shannahan guy but, retained his position when the others were let go. I'm excited about this because IMO he IS the best in the league and critical to Alfred's development. That being said, the Gruden passing offense may carry over from Cincy but, we still could see a similar run game to what we've had here the past few years.


I'm ok with that.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football