D Hall Wants to Play Safety

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

D Hall Wants to Play Safety

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:15 pm

Impending free agent DeAngelo Hall says there's a "good chance" he re-signs with the Redskins.
Hall was a guest on FOX Football Daily on Wednesday. He also said he'd "love" to transition from cornerback to safety. Hall was released by the Redskins last offseason, drew little interest on the open market, and then re-signed with Washington. He started all 16 games and registered 78 tackles, four picks, and 13 pass breakups. Hall has lost a step or five in recent years but still has some game left in him at 30 years old. He played the slot some in 2013.
Source: Chris Russell on Twitter Jan 8 - 6:50 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

|||||||

Re: D Hall Wants to Play Safety

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:12 am

I changed my mind on Hall during the season. Last year, I wasn't unhappy to see him released. But he was clearly our best DB this season, and we need some kind of continuity on defence. In a year when a lot of change is likely, it would be wise to hang on to the few reliable assets we have.

As for a move to safety, I'm not so sure. He's played some of his best games when matched up against the opponent's top receiving threat, and why would we want to take away his contribution in that area?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:03 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:I changed my mind on Hall during the season. Last year, I wasn't unhappy to see him released. But he was clearly our best DB this season, and we need some kind of continuity on defence. In a year when a lot of change is likely, it would be wise to hang on to the few reliable assets we have.

As for a move to safety, I'm not so sure. He's played some of his best games when matched up against the opponent's top receiving threat, and why would we want to take away his contribution in that area?

With the way the league is today, one safety should almost be a linebacker and the other should have corner skills. Hall would be the latter and could match up with the WR-esque TEs or the slot men in 3 WR sets.

Seattle leads the way here. Watch #31 SS Kam Chancellor today. He can level a RT.

By Danny O'Neil

The reason Earl Thomas is one of the team's most indispensable players on Seattle's roster is also the same reason you have to wonder about the team's depth at safety.

There is no one quite like Thomas. Not in this league, not on Seattle's roster.

In a league where many teams use safeties that are essentially interchangeable, Seattle is different. It has one safety who's as big as a linebacker in Kam Chancellor and another with the coverage skills that would allow him to play cornerback, but the speed and instincts that make him an elite safety.

Thomas has one-of-a-kind range, a center fielder who can line up 25 yards off the line of scrimmage, cover sideline to sideline and come crashing forward to the line of scrimmage when the situation calls for it.

He is unique, and not just because he is the only sub-6-foot starter in Seattle's secondary, but because of what his speed enables not just him to do, but Seattle's defense. Thomas is capable of being a single-high safety, meaning he's the one-man coverage policy at the back of the defense. It allows Seattle to put an extra defender in the box to defend the run if it wants or someone else underneath in coverage.

Think of Hall as Thomas. Hey, maybe Rak can play SS !!!

JK

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:16 pm

D Hall may make a good FS when he actually loses a step, but that comment above is just wrong. He had one of his best years last season. He hasn't lost a step yet. I'd give him another year or two to make the transition. He's our best corner still.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:48 pm

The Hogster wrote:D Hall may make a good FS when he actually loses a step, but that comment above is just wrong.

Which comment?

The Hogster wrote:He had one of his best years last season. He hasn't lost a step yet. I'd give him another year or two to make the transition. He's our best corner still.

Agreed.
Last edited by DarthMonk on Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:23 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:I changed my mind on Hall during the season. Last year, I wasn't unhappy to see him released. But he was clearly our best DB this season, and we need some kind of continuity on defence. In a year when a lot of change is likely, it would be wise to hang on to the few reliable assets we have.

With the way the league is today, one safety should almost be a linebacker and the other should have corner skills. Hall would be the latter and could match up with the WR-esque TEs or the slot men in 3 WR sets.

I agree with you 3 - Hall is a "player" and would provide some leadership :shock: and I think this kid can help our secondary - for what he 'costs' he's a plus

I'd be surprised to not see him playing for us

we're going to have a lot of house cleaning here and while D Hall is not exactly the most stable leader he is a 'player'

as fast as the offenses are you are going to need speed and 'experience' Hall may have lost some speed but at safety he's still got enough

AND

the guy is still one of the best on our secondary which needs major help
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:03 pm

If I wasn't completely sold on D. Hall, he made me a believer this past year. I have no idea how realistic it is to move him to safety, but if he can get it done I'd love to see him return.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby jmooney » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:59 pm

I dunno, D Hall isn't great in zone, he's a better man guy, so moving him to rover scares me a bit. If he were playing read/react behind 2 good disciplined veteran corners I would be really fine with this but, Wilson and Amerson still make too many bad decisions (for different reasons) it could be catastrophic. Wilson may not be here so he could end up behind Amerson and a rookie or a FA new to the system. Hall seems like too much of a gambler for that. I could be wrong but his personality/play style may be more of an issue than his physical ability. Depends on who's in front of him.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm kind of surprised he wasn't moved to safety last season, when we were so desperate at the position.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Deadskins wrote:I'm kind of surprised he wasn't moved to safety last season, when we were so desperate at the position.

Yup.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:12 pm

Deadskins wrote:I'm kind of surprised he wasn't moved to safety last season, when we were so desperate at the position.

I agree with you but you shouldnt be surprised with how Haslett ran our D last year. Or it might of been Shanahan who knows? Whoever was calling our defense just was not capable of thinking of such a move.

Anyhow I also think Hall was our best CB. Just because of need we should consider moving him to saftey. Hall is still capable of playing cb but if we dont pick up an adequate saftey then by all means I am all for moving him to safety.

Heres a thought. How about bringing back Landry? If the price is not too high we should bring him back.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:41 pm

Last year when I was just lurking around here, I remember reading a lot of comments from members speculating how DHall would do at safety. I've always wanted to see how this would pan out as well.

When he's on, he's unstoppable. Shuts down the best in the league. Perhaps him playing at safety would further this and provide more consistency.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:50 pm

Neo wrote:Last year when I was just lurking around here, I remember reading a lot of comments from members speculating how DHall would do at safety. I've always wanted to see how this would pan out as well.

When he's on, AND IN MAN COVERAGE, he's unstoppable. Shuts down the best in the league. Perhaps him playing at safety would further this and provide more consistency.

Fixed it for you...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:03 am

Countertrey wrote:
Neo wrote:Last year when I was just lurking around here, I remember reading a lot of comments from members speculating how DHall would do at safety. I've always wanted to see how this would pan out as well.

When he's on, AND IN MAN COVERAGE, he's unstoppable. Shuts down the best in the league. Perhaps him playing at safety would further this and provide more consistency.

Fixed it for you...

Hmm...

I would imagine at safety, he would be in zone coverage more than man. :(
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:51 am

Hall shined this year for us. Give him a shot at Safety.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football