D Hall Wants to Play Safety

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: D Hall Wants to Play Safety

Postby emoses14 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:52 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:No "trash talking" doesn't necessarily make you a bad sport. It doesn't make you a good sport either though. In the heat of the moment I get it. We all get mad. There are many examples of
athletes that don't have anger management problems. I'm referring to Richard Sherman a Stanford grad. Supposedly he is upset now because people see him as a thug. I wonder where they got that idea?

I don't know. Nothing he has ever done would cause me, or should cause anyone, to label him a thug. Bad mouthing an opponent doesn't qualify. Aaron Hernandez is a thug

+1

And I know exactly where they got the idea. They got it from their own shortcomings.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:49 am

Kilmer72 wrote:No "trash talking" doesn't necessarily make you a bad sport. It doesn't make you a good sport either though. In the heat of the moment I get it. We all get mad. There are many examples of
athletes that don't have anger management problems. I'm referring to Richard Sherman a Stanford grad. Supposedly he is upset now because people see him as a thug. I wonder where they got that idea?

Not defending Sherman. Right or wrong, he just looked bad with his post game comments. Actually when I heard him talking later in the week, I was just blown away by how different he was from that post game outburst. Its too bad. He didn't do his image any favors (although I bet he is the most famous Seahawk on that team!).

I really appreciated Sherman's comments later though about how "thug" has become a euphemism for the n-word now. Not something I had thought about before, but I think he is 100% right about that. Folks should think honestly about what they mean when they call a guy a "thug".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:57 am

riggofan wrote:

Not defending Sherman. Right or wrong, he just looked bad with his post game comments. Actually when I heard him talking later in the week, I was just blown away by how different he was from that post game outburst. Its too bad. He didn't do his image any favors (although I bet he is the most famous Seahawk on that team!).

I really appreciated Sherman's comments later though about how "thug" has become a euphemism for the n-word now. Not something I had thought about before, but I think he is 100% right about that. Folks should think honestly about what they mean when they call a guy a "thug".

Yeah, it is amazing about the word thug. I read that too. It actually means hit man or common criminal. It is sort of like the name Redskins. Names just evolve to have different meanings even though the definition is totally different.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:01 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Yeah, it is amazing about the word thug. I read that too. It actually means hit man or common criminal. It is sort of like the name Redskins. Names just evolve to have different meanings even though the definition is totally different.
You only have to spend a few minutes going through the history of gangster rap to know how this happened. Want to blame someone? Start there. BTW... as far as I can see, it relates to BEHAVIOR...

As I have said before, Richard Sherman is a very articulate and intelligent man, whom, I think, is pretty clearly the best cornerback in the league today, and, who does himself no favors when he acts like he did at the end of that game. Dude... you won the game... you spoke with your play... then you had to go and open your mouth...

dayum...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Hall was resigned for 4 years, at 5 million per year. Seems to be a high number considering he played for 1.25 million last year, but at least he's back with us.

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:38 pm

Wouldn't Hall playing safety put him more into a zone coverage type scheme? Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but zone coverage seems to be where Hall gets into trouble. Its man coverage that he shuts people down.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Neo wrote:Wouldn't Hall playing safety put him more into a zone coverage type scheme? Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but zone coverage seems to be where Hall gets into trouble. Its man coverage that he shuts people down.
This. I think Hall plays a very opportunistic game. If he's got to watch an AREA of the field, he can't focus on jumping routes... and, Hall likes to jump routes... he gets complacent playing zone... but he loves the challenge of man.

On the other hand, playing zone from the back end is a LOT different than playing zone on the corner...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Neo wrote:Wouldn't Hall playing safety put him more into a zone coverage type scheme? Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but zone coverage seems to be where Hall gets into trouble. Its man coverage that he shuts people down.
This. I think Hall plays a very opportunistic game. If he's got to watch an AREA of the field, he can't focus on jumping routes... and, Hall likes to jump routes... he gets complacent playing zone... but he loves the challenge of man.

On the other hand, playing zone from the back end is a LOT different than playing zone on the corner...

Solid point. Maybe they'll play around with this in the pre-season. At least we could see how it might work out or not in a couple years.

Just my guess, I think we'll see Hall slow down in about 2yrs. I could be wrong, but if he were to do a good showing at Safety, and his corner skills slightly decline, I'd be ok with the switch.

For now, he's our best corner, Amerson seems to feed off his energy, and there's good Safeties in FA as well as the draft.

With Allen having the mind set of switching about "20 players", I think Hall is set where he is.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football