D Hall Wants to Play Safety

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Re: D Hall Wants to Play Safety

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:58 am

Deadskins wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Seriously? That's the best apology you can come up with? Still, it is better than I expected.

Quit while you're behind. It's getting embarrassing. Landry played the Free Safety after ST was murdered. You said he didn't. You were wrong. He was there for over a year--not Reed Doughty. WTH dude. Just eat your crow and move on.

The bottom line is that you can't just plug a guy in at Free Safety if their skills don't fit the position...including D Hall.

ROTFALMAO

Typical Squealster, can never admit when he is wrong, and continues to stick to his guns even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I suppose you still think we played Chicago in the first game after Sean's death.

Gano sucks.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:52 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I doubt we'll need Hall at FS because it's in the Skins best interest to acquire Byrd via FA. Keep Rambo as a backup and continue to develop him. I'd much rather have Hall stay at CB for the time being, he arguably had the best year of his career.

+1

And, just like Laron Landry didn't fit at Free Safety (as anyone who watches the Redskins & Knows football knows he played when we lost ST) couldn't do it, there's no guarantee that Hall would even be a good fit at Free Safety. Keep him at Corner--he's the best one we have. I also agree that Jairus Byrd should be on the free agent radar.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:17 am

The Hogster wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I doubt we'll need Hall at FS because it's in the Skins best interest to acquire Byrd via FA. Keep Rambo as a backup and continue to develop him. I'd much rather have Hall stay at CB for the time being, he arguably had the best year of his career.

+1

And, just like Laron Landry didn't fit at Free Safety (as anyone who watches the Redskins & Knows football knows he played when we lost ST) couldn't do it, there's no guarantee that Hall would even be a good fit at Free Safety. Keep him at Corner--he's the best one we have. I also agree that Jairus Byrd should be on the free agent radar.

I was hoping they would have traded Fred Davis for him this past season!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:24 am

riggofan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:

+1

I was hoping they would have traded Fred Davis for him this past season!

You have evidence that they were open for this exact trade?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:31 pm

The Hogster wrote:anyone who watches the Redskins & Knows football knows he played when we lost ST

Too funny. You really should do a little checking before sticking to such an untenable position. LL didn't move to FS (and Reed to SS) until the Giants game (the third game after ST's murder). God, a simple search of this message board would have sufficed. Here's three threads I came up with in about 20 seconds that show you are obviously incorrect on this subject:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25595

—Redskins FS Reed Doughty vs. Bears QB Rex Grossman: After Sean Taylor went down on Nov. 4 against Philadelphia and Pierson Prioleau faltered, Doughty got his first start at Dallas and struggled. He played better at Tampa Bay but was burned for two critical catches in the fourth quarter against the Bills.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25636

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25675

Doughty started at FS in both the Bills' game and the Bears' game following ST's murder.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:You have evidence that they were open for this exact trade?

Nah, just the usual speculation:
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/p ... avis-trade

The NFL's trade deadline arrives next Tuesday, and the Washington Post reports that the Washington Redskins are open to trading tight end Fred Davis.

Although it's a considerable long-shot, the other wrinkle to consider here is safety Jairus Byrd. Although they're not actively shopping him, the Bills have said they'll listen to any offers on Byrd. The Redskins need a safety.

While the Redskins would clearly need to give up more than Davis (i.e. a mid-round draft pick or higher) to get Byrd, it would be a swap of two players who have expiring contracts, creating an impetus for both sides to make a deal.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:55 pm

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:You have evidence that they were open for this exact trade?

Nah, just the usual speculation:
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/p ... avis-trade

The NFL's trade deadline arrives next Tuesday, and the Washington Post reports that the Washington Redskins are open to trading tight end Fred Davis.

Although it's a considerable long-shot, the other wrinkle to consider here is safety Jairus Byrd. Although they're not actively shopping him, the Bills have said they'll listen to any offers on Byrd. The Redskins need a safety.

While the Redskins would clearly need to give up more than Davis (i.e. a mid-round draft pick or higher) to get Byrd, it would be a swap of two players who have expiring contracts, creating an impetus for both sides to make a deal.

Yeah, that trade wasn't going to happen... Ever.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Yeah, that trade wasn't going to happen... Ever.

You are 100% correct, Nostradamus. hah.

In hindsight, good for us that it didn't if it would have meant including a pick in the package. As much as I like Byrd, I wouldn't argue that he was the missing piece to save us from 3-13.

Is Brandon Meriweather pretty much gone?

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:22 pm

riggofan wrote:Is Brandon Meriweather pretty much gone?

Hell no. He's a SS who played out of position last year. You don't trade one liability in for another. If we attain Byrd, you move Brandon back to his natural position and work OT to get Phillips and Rambo on track. Worst case scenario, Rambo and Phillips become ST monsters.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Hell no. He's a SS who played out of position last year. You don't trade one liability in for another. If we attain Byrd, you move Brandon back to his natural position and work OT to get Phillips and Rambo on track. Worst case scenario, Rambo and Phillips become ST monsters.

I presume you mean Phillip Thomas & Rambo - Thomas might be a player
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Cool. I don't know if Meriweather played great this past year or not, but it definitely seemed like an improvement when he was finally on the field.

The reason I asked my question was from reading stuff like this recently:
Free safety Brandon Meriweather has been nothing short of disappointing with the Redskins after his tremendous tenure with the New England Patriots.

The former Miami Hurricane has been a distraction in the media by way of his fines and suspensions, a liability by his injury and an overall erratic performer.

With Meriweather likely out, Washington will need a new free safety. Enter: Jarius Byrd.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1908 ... -offseason

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:25 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Hell no. He's a SS who played out of position last year.

Brandon Merriweather played FS after Sean Taylor was killed. :twisted:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:07 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Hell no. He's a SS who played out of position last year.

Brandon Merriweather played FS after Sean Taylor was killed. :twisted:

So did Earl Thomas. I saw him on TV last week against the Saints ... and Gano sucks.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Our main priority should be getting talent for this defense this year to compensate for the mediocrity known as Jim Haslett. I am in favor of targeting Jairus Byrd as a Free Safety. Keeping Merriweather as a Strong Safety...re-signing Orakpo and D Hall. I would also go after one of the corners available...Charles Tillman or Sam Shields would add depth to the secondary.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm sure the FO and Jay Gruden will listen to what Jim Haslett feels he needs to add to help him get this defense back in decent shape ..

I do agree that Jarius Byrd is a possibility but we have many needs and the most important thing is not to just add 'talent' but to add players that fit what Haslett wants to do

:twisted:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football