D Hall Wants to Play Safety

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: D Hall Wants to Play Safety

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:42 pm

The Hogster wrote:Our main priority should be getting talent for this defense this year to compensate for the mediocrity known as Jim Haslett. I am in favor of targeting Jairus Byrd as a Free Safety. Keeping Merriweather as a Strong Safety...re-signing Orakpo and D Hall. I would also go after one of the corners available...Charles Tillman or Sam Shields would add depth to the secondary.

Main priority should be Oline but I agree defense as a whole needs the most help.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:58 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Our main priority should be getting talent for this defense this year to compensate for the mediocrity known as Jim Haslett. I am in favor of targeting Jairus Byrd as a Free Safety. Keeping Merriweather as a Strong Safety...re-signing Orakpo and D Hall. I would also go after one of the corners available...Charles Tillman or Sam Shields would add depth to the secondary.

Main priority should be Oline but I agree defense as a whole needs the most help.

We definitely need O Line help as well, especially since Gruden runs more of a power scheme.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Hall has been fine at corner. Much improved from his worst days when he'd make one flashy play but "make up" for it with about six blown tackles or coverages. I don't get the sense from that original interview that he's dying to move to safety, and I'd be willing to bet the team isn't leaning in that direction either. Bring the man back for a two-year contract at about a million-plus a year and be done with it: instant solution for one or our starting CB positions.

I expect Amerson to take over the #1 cover spot by the start of the 2015 season.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:03 pm

The Hogster wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:

We definitely need O Line help as well, especially since Gruden runs more of a power scheme.

I hope so. I am so tired of this finesse crap. Punch them in the mouth for crying out loud.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:28 am

Great post! And prioritizing the defense isn't really even debatable. Isn't it like seven of eleven starters from last season are hitting free agency?

I know we're all excited to be past the cap penalty and have some real money to spend in free agency, but we gotta be prepared for some lingering hangover from that mess. This still isn't going to be a "normal" year for us. The team had to do so many of these one year, low ball contracts on defense with the types of players who would be willing to take those deals. We have a lot of holes to fill as a result, and its going to take some time to recover.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:41 pm

riggofan wrote:

Great post! And prioritizing the defense isn't really even debatable. Isn't it like seven of eleven starters from last season are hitting free agency?

I know we're all excited to be past the cap penalty and have some real money to spend in free agency, but we gotta be prepared for some lingering hangover from that mess. This still isn't going to be a "normal" year for us. The team had to do so many of these one year, low ball contracts on defense with the types of players who would be willing to take those deals. We have a lot of holes to fill as a result, and its going to take some time to recover.

This is a fact... there IS a lot to fix... and it isn't all Shanahan's fault... the cap penalty was designed to inflict maximum damage with the way it was timed... and it did...

O-line is also an area that can not be ignored. It's not all getting fixed.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:32 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:

I'm not sure how anyone could look at our 2nd-worst-in-the-league 29.9 ppg against and 6th-worst 5.7 yards-per-play stats and think anything offensive should be our "main priority". Especially when we are losing our defensive captain and leader Fletcher.

Yes, we need upgrades at RT and 1 OG spot, but we need significant upgrades on DEF including 2 DEs, 1 LB (or 2 if Rak leaves), 2 CBs (#2 and 3) and SS. That is at a minimum. An arguement can be made for FS as well. AND THESE ARE JUST STARTERS --- THIS DOESN'T EVEN INCLUDE POTENTIAL INJURIES (which are a inevitable).

It would be great for RGIII to get more protection and they didn't do a good job last season, but the focus should be on our bottom 3 defense. After all, if RGIII is back to his 2012 self, OL will get help from him ---- and if he is more his 2013 self; well, we'll be looking for QBs in the 2015 draft........
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:47 pm

Yeah I'm with you on that, man. Like I wrote above, there literally isn't even a choice on what to prioritize. You make some good points about how bad the defense was too. I have to think improving that group would help take some pressure off the offense and RGIII. Not having to play from down 17-0 in the first quarter of every game?

All that said, I found myself looking at some of the early draft boards and mock drafts this morning. Wondering if any stud offensive linemen might still be available with our second round pick?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Both the defense and the Oline need help - there's no prioritizing - they both need a lot of help

RG3's 'style of play' has nothing to do with it - no QB can play in a WCO behind the offensive linemen we had last season

Jay Gruden is not running a ZBS style offense and these guys are not suitable for what he's going to want to run here
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:34 pm

markshark84 wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:

I'm not sure how anyone could look at our 2nd-worst-in-the-league 29.9 ppg against and 6th-worst 5.7 yards-per-play stats and think anything offensive should be our "main priority". Especially when we are losing our defensive captain and leader Fletcher.

Yes, we need upgrades at RT and 1 OG spot, but we need significant upgrades on DEF including 2 DEs, 1 LB (or 2 if Rak leaves), 2 CBs (#2 and 3) and SS. That is at a minimum. An arguement can be made for FS as well. AND THESE ARE JUST STARTERS --- THIS DOESN'T EVEN INCLUDE POTENTIAL INJURIES (which are a inevitable).

It would be great for RGIII to get more protection and they didn't do a good job last season, but the focus should be on our bottom 3 defense. After all, if RGIII is back to his 2012 self, OL will get help from him ---- and if he is more his 2013 self; well, we'll be looking for QBs in the 2015 draft........

Oh agree, like I said, defense needs are a lot. What I am getting at is the QB getting creamed. Even Cousins with a quick 2 second release wasn't effective. BTW everyone to the right of Trent needs to go. We need more than 2 players on this Oline.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:49 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Both the defense and the Oline need help - there's no prioritizing - they both need a lot of help

Of course there is prioritizing. On the offensive line we have five guys who are under contract. On the defense we have seven holes, guys who are just gone unless we re-sign or replace them.

I have a car with a nearly empty gas tank and only two wheels on it. Sure I need to fill the tank, but clearly I need to prioritize the wheels.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:16 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Both the defense and the Oline need help - there's no prioritizing - they both need a lot of help

RG3's 'style of play' has nothing to do with it - no QB can play in a WCO behind the offensive linemen we had last season

Jay Gruden is not running a ZBS style offense and these guys are not suitable for what he's going to want to run here

No! No! No!

We are pretending that this is not an issue... Stop screwing with the feng shui, dude.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:35 pm

Redskins’ DeAngelo Hall says he’s the best cornerback in the league, calls out Richard Sherman

In an appearance on the Fox Sports show “Keepin’ it Real with Mike Hill,” the Redskins’ DeAngelo Hall was asked who the best cornerback in the league is. Is it a surprise that his answer was “DeAngelo Hall?”

“If you line up the top five receivers in the NFL and have one guy go out and cover ‘em, I put myself out there before anybody else,” said Hall. “Before Richard Sherman, before Revis, before Peterson, before anybody else. There’s a lot goes into a defensive play or a defensive scheme. But you’re asking me to go out there and just lock one guy up, ain’t nobody better than me.”

“In man-to-man coverage,” he continued, “‘ain’t nobody better than me.”

(Oh, and he also said the Redskins “probably should” change their name.)

While he’s willing to crown himself cornerback king, Hall admitted that there’s one area that Sherman excels at over himself — trash-talking.
“I’m probably not the best,” he said, when asked who the best trash-talker in the league is. “Sherman talks a lot. He might be one of the best trash talkers. He definitely talks a lot. I don’t know if it’s warranted or not, but he definitely talks a lot of trash.”

Why isn’t Sherman’s trash-talk warranted?

“I mean, ’cause he tried to talk trash against my team last year when we played them in the playoffs and it didn’t end too well,” said Hall.
He’s referring to the confrontation with Trent Williams, who hit Sherman after the Seahawks cornerback engaged in some postgame taunting. A normally reserved Darrel Young also said Sherman’s behavior in that game crossed a line.

When asked for his favorite opponent to trade verbal jabs with, Hall got nostalgic.

“Probably back in my heyday when me and Chad [Johnson] had that rivalry going, that was some of the best football games I ever been a part of,” Hall said, fondly. “Me and him talking trash about things that’s gonna happen, putting bets on the line. I got to shave off his gold Mohawk one year up in Cincinnati. That was probably the best trash-talking I’ve ever been a part of. Me and Ochocinco.”

:-k
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Can't stand Richard Sherman. Way to remind him about Trent, D. Hall.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:37 pm

there's a fine line between trash talking and unsportsman-like conduct - I wish the refs would call it more

I don't like Sherman either - he's a good player but he's over the top with the in your face act
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football