D Hall Wants to Play Safety

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---

Re: D Hall Wants to Play Safety

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:30 am

SkinsJock wrote:there's a fine line between trash talking and unsportsman-like conduct - I wish the refs would call it more

I don't like Sherman either - he's a good player but he's over the top with the in your face act

And who draws that subjective line? They aren't playing golf, it's a bunch of grown men battling and forcing another man to do something against his will... It's intense, it's heated. If people want to teach their children life lessons about life while a NFL game is on, change the channel to Nick Jr. If your child is easily swayed by one mans antics on TV, then you've failed as a parent.

What's over the line for you, may be nothing to me. And what's the gauge? Tone? Voice inflections? Yall b**** and whine about the refs now, but we want to add even more subjective calls into the game? :roll:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:28 am

hah. I don't think Sherman needs to be flagged, and I don't have a problem with players trash talking. I just can't stand the guy (or the Seahawks for that matter).

I may dislike the Seahawks right now more than I dislike the Cowboys. Yeah, there I said it.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:35 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:there's a fine line between trash talking and unsportsman-like conduct - I wish the refs would call it more

I don't like Sherman either - he's a good player but he's over the top with the in your face act

And who draws that subjective line? They aren't playing golf, it's a bunch of grown men battling and forcing another man to do something against his will... It's intense, it's heated. If people want to teach their children life lessons about life while a NFL game is on, change the channel to Nick Jr. If your child is easily swayed by one mans antics on TV, then you've failed as a parent.

What's over the line for you, may be nothing to me. And what's the gauge? Tone? Voice inflections? Yall b**** and whine about the refs now, but we want to add even more subjective calls into the game? :roll:

Sherman is a BRILLIANT student of the psychology of receivers... Watch him for a while. Listen to him when he's interviewed. This dude knows exactly what he's doing. If there is benefit to be gained through trash talk, he'll be in your face, doing what he can to crawl into your skull. If you are chill as Jerry Rice, however, he's going to let his game talk. I LOVE Richard Sherman, and would want him on my team IN A SECOND. He simply gets it... think about it... last year... was Trent playing his position?
Or was he playing to get Sherman? Hard to do both well.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:59 am

Countertrey wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Sherman is a BRILLIANT student of the psychology of receivers... Watch him for a while. Listen to him when he's interviewed. This dude knows exactly what he's doing. If there is benefit to be gained through trash talk, he'll be in your face, doing what he can to crawl into your skull. If you are chill as Jerry Rice, however, he's going to let his game talk. I LOVE Richard Sherman, and would want him on my team IN A SECOND. He simply gets it... think about it... last year... was Trent playing his position?
Or was he playing to get Sherman? Hard to do both well.

CT, this is one of the best posts I've read in a while. Sir, YOU GET IT! Sherman is THE BEST CB in the game and the best in a very long time. He's an extremely intelligent individual both on and off the field.

I roll my eyes when people hate trash talk but want a coach that's intense. People hated JC because he was too laid back... They want it both ways. Take that ultra conservative, super PC BS back where it came from.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:35 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I roll my eyes when people hate trash talk but want a coach that's intense. People hated JC because he was too laid back... They want it both ways. Take that ultra conservative, super PC BS back where it came from.

Totally agree, man. I like trash talk. I also like it when teams visibly hate each other, none of that hugging it out after the whistle blows.

I always suspect people who get so mad about trash talk a) are very old, b) are women c) never played a competitive sport beyond the rec level or d) were never very good individually at a sport. hah. Feel free to disagree, that's just my always been my personal theory... :)

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:36 am

Btw those were good comments about Richard Sherman. I would probably like him if he was a Redskin. But he's a badass Seahawk, so I hate him.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:30 pm

I still don't like Dick Sherman. He's an outstanding corner though. I prefer the Deion Sanders brand of trash talk. The Dick Sherman, Courtland Finnegan brand makes me enjoy watching guys like Andre Johnson beat the living ***** out of them.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Cortland Finnegan is just a nasty cheap shot artist, and is an average corner.
Not the same player... I can appreciate the position of an opposition fan regarding Sherman... I hated him until I really examined his game...
Dude is just an artist.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:42 am

Countertrey wrote:Cortland Finnegan is just a nasty cheap shot artist, and is an average corner.
Not the same player... I can appreciate the position of an opposition fan regarding Sherman... I hated him until I really examined his game...
Dude is just an artist.

He is a great player. What I like about him is that he plays with such fluidity in both man and zone coverage that you would never know he's 6 foot 3. That type of agility and versatility is uncommon for anyone, let alone someone his stature.

With that said, him going at Tom Brady after the game and taunting "U mad bro?" Or, him going up to Redskins players after the game and taunting, that kind of stuff makes me dislike his persona. I prefer a good old fashioned entertainer. Deion would do things like try to shake the receivers hand when he's lined up in press man coverage. That's funny. I don't knock Sherman for getting into a receiver's head. But, he goes overboard.

Obviously all of this stuff I hate would be stuff I loved if he played for the Washington Redskins.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:54 am

Refs have had the ability to make a judgement call on trash talk for decades ... they could always deem it unsportsmanlike conduct if they felt it crossed a line. We have enough rules in that area.

All other things being equal, I prefer the quiet killers.

All other things being equal, when I've competed and won, I've gotten more satisfaction taking down a trash talker.

I try not to trash talk in athletic competition. I feel I'm lowering myself.

I occasionally engage on message boards in Smack as well as in fantasy football.

My 2 cents
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:55 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Refs have had the ability to make a judgement call on trash talk for decades ... they could always deem it unsportsmanlike conduct if they felt it crossed a line. We have enough rules in that area.

All other things being equal, when I've competed and won, I've gotten more satisfaction taking down a trash talker.

I occasionally engage on message boards in Smack as well as in fantasy football.

My 2 cents
I suspect you'd feel a bit differently if you income depended upon how dominant you were...

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:35 pm

Countertrey wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Refs have had the ability to make a judgement call on trash talk for decades ... they could always deem it unsportsmanlike conduct if they felt it crossed a line. We have enough rules in that area.

My 2 cents
I suspect you'd feel a bit differently if you income depended upon how dominant you were...

Could very well be but hopefully, I'd be good enough to let my dominance speak for itself as I killed quietly.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:32 am

Let's remember that this is a business and entertainment. Sherman won because we're talking about him. He won because people hate him. His name is in your mouth thusly increasing his popularity and brand... It's a business and he's good at what he does.

With Sherman's play and education, he's all but guaranteed a broadcasting job if his play continues as it has.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:06 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Or you can just watch professional wrestling. I don't mind a heated exchange it happens but, there is something to be said for class and sportsmanship. I'm not a fan of spinning the ball or spiking it either or pointing for a first down celebrating something that should be expected of them. Notice what Riggo did when he scored. I ask you this... Would you encourage your son or daughter to act like that during a competition like football?

I had to come back and edit this a little... In my sons case he was into martial arts (Kung Fu) On his team his sensai or instructor would punish if such behavior was known. Yet this is another example of making someone submissive.

It is easy for someone that has no children to say turn the channel. Maybe you do and if so please answer my question above.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:01 pm

Countertrey wrote:

My 2 cents

I apologize to the board. That display at the end of the game was pathetic... I imagine Erin learned a painful lesson. Don't Interview Dick Sherman on the sidelines after a game. Look up "classless"... I'm pretty sure that video will be there.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football