Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:01 am

Hey Oldschool. I got a name you might like.

The Washington Griffins

:mrgreen:
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:29 pm

We all want RG3 to become a quality QB with all the necessary skill sets including the ability to read defenses. Some of us may not have as much faith as others, he will advance to this level. When we don't agree that hardly makes anyone a troll. In fact, I have been a member longer than many of you.

I think there are members that think RG3 has to be the starter because of what is invested. Let me ask, if you pay to go see a movie and ten minutes in the movie you realize is is awful, do you stay because you have already paid or do you move forward and invest your time is something more productive.

My point is, some investments work and some don't. Decisions should be based what is best for the present/future and nothing is sacred just because of past investments.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:36 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:I think there are members that think RG3 has to be the starter because of what is invested. Let me ask, if you pay to go see a movie and ten minutes in the movie you realize is is awful, do you stay because you have already paid or do you move forward and invest your time is something more productive.

My point is, some investments work and some don't. Decisions should be based what is best for the present/future and nothing is sacred just because of past investments.

Oh my GOD man, that is a freaking terrible comparison. You have to be kidding.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:55 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:I think there are members that think RG3 has to be the starter because of what is invested. Let me ask, if you pay to go see a movie and ten minutes in the movie you realize is is awful, do you stay because you have already paid or do you move forward and invest your time is something more productive.

First, I have never walked out of a movie in my life, so I don't really understand the reference, but if I did decide to leave, I would go into another movie at the same theatre, so that I got at least some of my money's worth. That said, I would never leave 10 minutes in, that's not nearly enough time to make a sound judgement on the quality of the film. My point is, while I agree that some investments don't pan out, you don't ditch at the first downturn in the market. That would be the surest way to lose on every investment you ever make.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:20 am

riggofan wrote:

Oh my GOD man, that is a freaking terrible comparison. You have to be kidding.

+1 - that just makes no sense at all and is completely irrelevant .. you might make it onto my 'Add foe' list with comments like that :wink:

let's be VERY clear - there may be some 'fans' that think that "RG3 has to be the starter because of what is invested" BECAUSE there are many fans that have no clue :lol:
anyone with any real knowledge is only looking at what needs to be done to get the most out of this incredibly talented athlete with so much potential

really good players with a lot of potential are only evaluated based on what they can and will do given the right circumstances

players with talent and ability that don't show any possibility of making it in the NFL do not make it to the status level that RG3 has with people with any knowledge at all
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:28 am

Just for the record, ROY can be busts. Ask Vince Young. Don't think Griffin is a bust, not by a long stretch. This year will be telling.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:34 am

Deadskins wrote:

First, I have never walked out of a movie in my life, so I don't really understand the reference, but if I did decide to leave, I would go into another movie at the same theatre, so that I got at least some of my money's worth. That said, I would never leave 10 minutes in, that's not nearly enough time to make a sound judgement on the quality of the film. My point is, while I agree that some investments don't pan out, you don't ditch at the first downturn in the market. That would be the surest way to lose on every investment you ever make.

It would probably also have to be a really expensive movie. Like to get into this movie, you had to agree to forfeit your ability to see another first run, star-studded movie for the next three years. So yeah you can decide to get up and walk out in the first ten minutes, but you're doing so knowing that the only movies you get to watch for the next few years are straight-to-Netflix films starring Steve Guttenberg (the Kirk Cousins of this scenario).

Also if you decide in ten minutes that a movie you paid to see is awful you are just a freaking idiot on several different levels. You either picked a movie at random off the board at the movie theater without even bothering to take 2 minutes to google a review on your phone, or you're just insanely impatient and impulsive and prone to terrible decision making (which I'll grant you *may* apply to a certain NFL franchise owner).

:)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:37 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:Just for the record, ROY can be busts. Ask Vince Young. Don't think Griffin is a bust, not by a long stretch. This year will be telling.

VY doesn't qualify for bust status in my book. He was the Sporting News' comeback player of the year in 2009, and made his second Pro-Bowl. His other seasons with the Titans were shortened due to injury and being in Fischer's dog house.
Last edited by Deadskins on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 am

Deadskins wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:Just for the record, ROY can be busts. Ask Vince Young. Don't think Griffin is a bust, not by a long stretch. This year will be telling.

VY doesn't qualify for bust status in my book. He was comeback player of the year in 2009, and made his second Pro-Bowl.

Yeah I agree. I think VY was just a guy who didn't reach his full potential, he still had a couple good years in the NFL. Jamarcus Russell was a bust. Ryan Leaf was a bust. Heath Shuler was a bust. These are #1 pick, hyped guys who never did anything at all and pretty much immediately showed they weren't cut out for the NFL.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:10 am

Deadskins wrote:

VY doesn't qualify for bust status in my book. He was the Sporting News' comeback player of the year in 2009, and made his second Pro-Bowl. His other seasons with the Titans were shortened due to injury and being in Fischer's dog house.

He made that 2nd pro bowl appearance because 3 other QB's couldn't or wouldn't attend. He played the majority of every season (with the exception of one due to injury) while he was on the Titans. Pro Bowls mean nothing. He was most certainly a bust along the same lines as Leinhart, Russell, and Leaf.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:36 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:He played the majority of every season (with the exception of one due to injury) while he was on the Titans. Pro Bowls mean nothing. He was most certainly a bust along the same lines as Leinhart, Russell, and Leaf.

Incorrect on all three counts.

Rookie season
Of the rookie QB class of 2006, Vince Young has the best record as a starter, surpassing the only other three starting rookie QB's: Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, and Bruce Gradkowski. During the 2006 season, Vince Young led the Tennessee Titans to eight wins including six straight wins. He had a record of 8–5 as a starter.

2007 season
In Week 17 Vince Young and the Titans' playoff wishes came to life as they defeated the Indianapolis Colts 16–10 to clinch the 6th seed in the AFC Playoffs. Young would leave the game in the 3rd quarter after suffering what seemed to be a re-injury of his right quad which kept him out for a game earlier in the season. Backup quarterback Kerry Collins would enter in the game and lead the Titans to 2 field goals to break a 10–10 tie and seal the victory. Before the injury, Young posted some of his best numbers of the year by completing 14 of 18 passes for 157 yards with 0 TD, 0 INT, and posting a 103.0 QB Rating.

2008 season
In the first game against the Jacksonville Jaguars Young injured his knee and was expected to miss 2 to 3 weeks. On September 15, Jeff Fisher made the decision to go with Kerry Collins and for Collins to remain the starter for the rest of the season. The Titans went on to finish 13–3 in the regular season with Young assuming back-up duties.

2009 season
On October 29, 2009, following a disappointing 0–6 start to the season, Coach Fisher announced that Young would replace Collins as starter.
Young won eight of his ten starts in the 2009 campaign.

2010 season
Young led the Titans to a 4–5 record in nine of their first ten games in 2010 while throwing for ten touchdowns with a 98.6 passer rating. During a Week 11 loss to the Washington Redskins, Young suffered a torn flexor tendon in his right thumb, and was held out of the game after he prepared to reenter. Following the game, Young threw his shoulder pads into the crowd as he left the field, had an altercation with Coach Fisher in the locker room, and stormed out. Fisher then declared that Rusty Smith would become the Titans' starting quarterback.

Vince Young would finish his Titans career with a 30-17 record (63.8%) over five years. As a Titan, Young finished with a 75.4 QB rating, with 42 touchdown passes and 42 interceptions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Young

He started 47 of 80 games with the Titans, but only missed six or seven due to injury. The rest he missed because he was in Fisher's dog house. Look at that last line that I highlighted above. Busts don't generate those kind of numbers.

I agree that Pro-Bowls don't mean anything per se, but busts don't make the Pro-Bowl, and certainly not twice.

No way is he in the same category as the other three you mentioned.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:09 pm

Deadskins wrote:No way is he in the same category as the other three you mentioned.

Yeah that is ludicrous. Vince Young == Jamarcus Russell??? Come on.

I know this is mostly just a semantic thing, but its not at all a valid comparison. There is a difference between a disappointment and a bust.

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:22 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:We all want RG3 to become a quality QB with all the necessary skill sets including the ability to read defenses. Some of us may not have as much faith as others, he will advance to this level. When we don't agree that hardly makes anyone a troll. In fact, I have been a member longer than many of you.

I think there are members that think RG3 has to be the starter because of what is invested. Let me ask, if you pay to go see a movie and ten minutes in the movie you realize is is awful, do you stay because you have already paid or do you move forward and invest your time is something more productive.

Hmmm...so is RG3 like a child ticket or adult? Big price hike there.Plus, even some of the crappiest movies have boobs in them eventually :lol:

Also, was there a large popcorn and soda purchased? THAT'S were they stick it to a man.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:55 pm

Neo wrote:
SKINS#1 wrote:We all want RG3 to become a quality QB with all the necessary skill sets including the ability to read defenses. Some of us may not have as much faith as others, he will advance to this level. When we don't agree that hardly makes anyone a troll. In fact, I have been a member longer than many of you.

Hmmm...so is RG3 like a child ticket or adult? Big price hike there.Plus, even some of the crappiest movies have boobs in them eventually :lol:

Also, was there a large popcorn and soda purchased? THAT'S were they stick it to a man.

THIS...
is quality. =D>
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:11 pm

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

VY doesn't qualify for bust status in my book. He was comeback player of the year in 2009, and made his second Pro-Bowl.

Yeah I agree. I think VY was just a guy who didn't reach his full potential, he still had a couple good years in the NFL. Jamarcus Russell was a bust. Ryan Leaf was a bust. Heath Shuler was a bust. These are #1 pick, hyped guys who never did anything at all and pretty much immediately showed they weren't cut out for the NFL.

I know you're doing QBs, but Desmond Howard was a bust. I don't care if he won a superbowl MVP as a kick returner.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football