Alternative Name For The Team...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Re: Alternative Name For The Team...

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:38 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Washington Braves sound dumb. Warriors obviously makes the most sense.
As for that song, once "Redskins" name is gone.. it is no longer "our" song.

I personally don't know anyone who would sing "Hail to the Warriors (or Braves)"

"Hail to the Redskins, hail victory, braves on the warpath, fight for old DC ... " would still be "our" song :D
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:41 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Washington Braves sound dumb. Warriors obviously makes the most sense.
As for that song, once "Redskins" name is gone.. it is no longer "our" song.

I personally don't know anyone who would sing "Hail to the Warriors (or Braves)"

"Hail to the Redskins, hail victory, braves on the warpath, fight for old DC ... " would still be "our" song :D

Well yes exactly.

Now with these suggestions look...
"Hail to the Warriors, hail victory, braves on the warpath, fight for old DC ... "
"Hail to the Braves, hail victory, braves on the warpath, fight for old DC ... "
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:50 pm

why would you leave out the key word in the song? there is no need to - it's just a fight song and the word redskins can stay in it

PLUS - the PC people would go bananas about something that they did not get full value from ...

The name is not changing

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

SkinsJock wrote:why would you leave out the key word in the song? there is no need to - it's just a fight song and the word redskins can stay in it

PLUS - the PC people would go bananas about something that they did not get full value from ...

The name is not changing

I AM AGREEING WITH SJ. :shock:

Just change redskins to a lower case r and Braves to upper case B in the written version of the song. I be singin' after every score beeyotch!
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:49 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:why would you leave out the key word in the song? there is no need to - it's just a fight song and the word redskins can stay in it

The name is not changing

I AM AGREEING WITH SJ. :shock:

Just change redskins to a lower case r and Braves to upper case B in the written version of the song. I be singin' after every score beeyotch!

thanks DM :shock:

I still do not believe that 'the' name will be changed - it's just getting pushed along by 'special interest groups'

most all sports fans do not have any real issue with the name and I do not see this being anything more than just a scam by scabs thing

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I think the uproar has been over the term "Redskins" in particular.

I agree, as far as the "uproar" outside the Indian community is concerned. But I disagree that those who are protesting amongst the Indian community, would be assuaged by a name change only. I think their true complaint is against Indians being used as mascots, period.

True. I do think that the latter group is fairly marginal even within the American Indian community and would have a much harder time rallying both the AI demographic and popular public opinion behind their cause.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:38 pm

SkinsJock wrote:the fight song, 'Hail to the Redskins', would be the same with "Braves"

Not really. Redskins is two syllables where Braves is one (not that it couldn't be sung as two, albeit torturedly), and the line "Braves on the Warpath" would be kind of redundant.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:the fight song, 'Hail to the Redskins', would be the same with "Braves"

Not really. Redskins is two syllables where Braves is one (not that it couldn't be sung as two, albeit torturedly), and the line "Braves on the Warpath" would be kind of redundant.

:shock: let me write it out s l o w l y for you - "Hail to the redskins, hail victory, Braves on the warpath, fight for old DC ... " :D

the name is not changing - but this fight song would really piss off the PC crowd if they ever did get us to change it to the Braves ...

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:40 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

:shock: let me write it out s l o w l y for you - "Hail to the redskins, hail victory, Braves on the warpath, fight for old DC ... " :D

the name is not changing - but this fight song would really piss off the PC crowd if they ever did get us to change it to the Braves ...

So you're saying still keep the word Redskins even though we'd changed the name to Braves? Yeah, that'd go over well. #-o
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 pm

we are NOT changing the name - I'm just pointing out that if the impossible were to happen, we could keep the fight song as the word redskins would become a focal point and it would royally piss off the PC crowd

I really think that the name 'thing' is just not going away - the name Redskins is not changing

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:22 am

I guess what I was saying is "if" the name is changed, they will NEVER put up the lyrics as "Hail to the REDSKINS".. that would be cut entirely... It would have to be.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:29 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:I guess what I was saying is "if" the name is changed, they will NEVER put up the lyrics as "Hail to the REDSKINS".. that would be cut entirely... It would have to be.

Why?
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:30 am

I'm all in favor of the redskin potato, that riot that would ensue would be amazing.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:37 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:I guess what I was saying is "if" the name is changed, they will NEVER put up the lyrics as "Hail to the REDSKINS".. that would be cut entirely... It would have to be.

Do you remember the Baltimore CFL Colts? The NFL made then change their name, But the fans still called them the Colts, the Colts Marching Band still played at half time (the original NFL Baltimore Colts marching band was still together) and the fans did a Jets like COLTS cheer during the game after big plays.

The Baltimorons got it right. They said frak off to the NFL and changed the name, but only, well, in name.
The team was still the Colts to them.

Playing "Hail to the Redskins" after every score would be just incredible and we could always play dumb like SJ suggested because Braves is already in the fight song.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:33 pm

AND - I would love for the band to continue to wear their outfits - it's a freedom of speech thing ...

screw 'em - we are not changing the fight song and they cannot make that happen

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football