Darrel Green has offered to help!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
|||

Darrel Green has offered to help!

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Darrel Green said in tweets and interviews before last season that he would be willing to help coach the defensive backs.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... _blog.html

Green mentions that it takes two to tango. Meaning the Skins have not reached out to him.

While I have no clue what kind of coach he is. I do know he does have knowledge he could share to help out our team. I mean heck why ignore the man? He is one of our greats.

Looks like he wants a role choosing the players. But he did say his last choice would be to coach the secondary.

I think it would be at least worth a shot. He is one of the greatest DBs of all time.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-w ... s-problems
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

piglet

Re: Darrel Green has offered to help!

Postby AnthonyRRedskin1995 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:05 pm

Green is one of the reasons I became a Skins fan as a young boy. (Hence the avatar) I love DG and would love to see him work in some area with the team.
“I don’t like ‘em. They all have bad breath.” Dexter Manley on Cowboys Fans.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:08 pm

The obvious place: let him start.

Green is probably better than any CB the Redskins now have. If he's "lost a step" he's probably two steps faster than the current bunch.

(Only mild overstatement.)

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:27 am

Hey Welch I think you may be right. Even though he has already played 20 seasons. I heard he still runs a 4.4 at his age. Amazing for a man his age. Hes actually probably still faster then all the DBs except Hall. No joke.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby HarleyHog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:39 am

I seem to remember D.Green was quoted as saying that essentially the talent was adequate (though not good) and that subtleties like initial positioning and first step would make a big difference. Couldn't understand why the Coach didn't leap at the offer. He was one of the best ever at his position, he didn't seem to be concerned about getting a title or money, what would it hurt to have him mentor the youngsters?
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:49 am

I've got no problem with Green getting a job as a scout or a DB coach, but I don't know if Green would want to come in at that level. The only ex -skin that hasn't been coaching already that I would trust with any real responsibility is BMitch.

He has said that he would be interested in coming on and un-screwing the ST, but he would want a guarantee that he could bee out of there by six. I'm certain he would be a fantastic ST coach, But I don't think he wants to put the hours in that a coach has to.
Last edited by skinsfan#33 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:35 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I've got no problem with green getting a job as a about our a DB coach, but I don't know how grid for he would want to come in at. The only ex -skin that hasn't been coaching already that I would trust with any real responsibility is BMitch.

He had said that he would be interested in coming on and un-screwing the ST, but he would want a guarantee that he could bee out of there by six. I'm certain he would be a fantastic ST coach, But I don't think he wants to put the hours in that a coach has to.

I understand that auto correct often picks the wrong word, but you might want to peruse your posts after you submit them. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what you're trying to say. The part of the first sentence after the comma, for example. :hmm:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Deadskins wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:I've got no problem with green getting a job as a about our a DB coach, but I don't know how grid for he would want to come in at. The only ex -skin that hasn't been coaching already that I would trust with any real responsibility is BMitch.

He had said that he would be interested in coming on and un-screwing the ST, but he would want a guarantee that he could bee out of there by six. I'm certain he would be a fantastic ST coach, But I don't think he wants to put the hours in that a coach has to.

I understand that auto correct often picks the wrong word, but you might want to peruse your posts after you submit them. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what you're trying to say. The part of the first sentence after the comma, for example. :hmm:

I bet he's using Siri.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:16 pm

I doubt this would happen, but nothing would make me happier!
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:50 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

I bet he's using Siri.

Nope, the Samsung version of Swype. I need to stop trusting it and actually start reading what it thinks i meant to say!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:52 am

It won't happen and quite frankly it shouldn't, unless they hire him to be a FT DB coach. I'm not opposed to him coaching, or even coming in to talk. But I don't like the idea of him potentially undermining the teaching of the coach at that position. In addition, being a great player does NOT make you a great coach. So there's no way of knowing how effective he'd be unless he was in here full-time and 110% devoted to helping.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:38 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:It won't happen and quite frankly it shouldn't, unless they hire him to be a FT DB coach. I'm not opposed to him coaching, or even coming in to talk. But I don't like the idea of him potentially undermining the teaching of the coach at that position. In addition, being a great player does NOT make you a great coach. So there's no way of knowing how effective he'd be unless he was in here full-time and 110% devoted to helping.

I agree. And, although he was one of my favorite players, I was always a little put off by his reaction to Marty trying to coach him up. Like he was too good to learn anything. I'm not sure how good of a coach he'd be. Still, I'm sure he does have a lot he could pass on to younger players.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Neo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:33 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:It won't happen and quite frankly it shouldn't, unless they hire him to be a FT DB coach. I'm not opposed to him coaching, or even coming in to talk. But I don't like the idea of him potentially undermining the teaching of the coach at that position. In addition, being a great player does NOT make you a great coach. So there's no way of knowing how effective he'd be unless he was in here full-time and 110% devoted to helping.

This is true, but all things the same, he was tutoring D. Hall this year, and Hall was on fire.

Doesn't guarantee his future success in coaching, but worth a deeper look.

Green is my all time favorite Redskin so if it happens and goes bad, I'd end up wishing it never happened.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:But I don't like the idea of him potentially undermining the teaching of the coach at that position.

Wait, our DBs were coached ?!?! :shock:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:22 pm

A DB coach must be an expert in technique...

I truly don't know that DG has ever worried about technique...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football