Sean McVay is the OC

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Sean McVay is the OC

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:21 am

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:First person who picks 16-0 in next season's prediction thread gets the gas face.

Queue LPJ... :mrgreen:

lol. Can't help himself.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:05 pm

So being only 27 years old... Is this a nonissue?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:26 pm

I think it's better that he's young ...
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Postby yupchagee » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:14 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
44diesel wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Since Gruden will be calling the plays ... etc. ... I wonder what McVay's duties will be exactly. Gibbs had an OC named Don Breaux. I wonder if the relationship will be similar.

I would imagine he would be focused on designing plays and the offensive gameplans. I've only heard great opinions of him as an up and coming offensive mind. I know Chris Cooley could not stop raving about him. Jordan Reed's fantasy value just got a little higher.

I'm looking forward to learning more about him. Does anyone know any good links? I read he was the grandson of John McVay, the former GM for the Bill Walsh 49ers.

I want to know more about how the Gruden/McVay relationship will work. I'm thinking McVay will do less designing of plays and more putting together game plans. Gruden already has a playbook. I'm thinking McVay will be helping him choose a plan each week and then implementing it in practice while Gruden oversees all during the week and then decides which plays to choose at specific moments during a game from that plan. I am looking at stuff I can find from the Gibbs/Breaux arrangement to try and gain insight. If Gruden is ever a guest on The Drive I'm gonna do my darnest to get on and ask. Here's something I found concerning the Gibbs/Breaux arrangement:

The Redskins won Super Bowls after the 1982, 1987 and 1991 seasons. They won championships with three different quarterbacks and three different running backs, but the coaching staff remained mostly intact.

Breaux oversaw the running backs and served as offensive coordinator and assistant head coach during his time in Washington, helping the likes of Joe Washington, Earnest Byner and John Riggins to places in the Pro Bowl, and helping make Timmy Smith one of the more unlikely Super Bowl heroes ever with a record 204-yard rushing performance in Super Bowl XXII. With the Panthers, Breaux was the tight ends coach and helped the franchise's best tight end, Wesley Walls, make it to five Pro Bowls.

"Don was very instrumental in those Super Bowls," Gibbs says. "He is so gifted as far as crafting a game plan."

The Gibbs' way of operating was different than others. Gibbs called all the offensive plays, but during the week, game planning involved the entire offensive coaching staff. As opposed to having the various units — receivers, offensive line and running backs — separate, Gibbs kept them all together, all the coaches giving input into the game plan.

Breaux was always the one standing next to Gibbs on the sidelines.

"If Don told me to run a certain play, I ran it," Gibbs says. "He was always on the sidelines with me, calling the game."

I think the operative word in McVay's job will be "coordinator." Gruden will be responsible for the offense on game day but McVay will coordinate things during the week among the position coaches and the players while implementing game plan.

I want to ask Gruden directly.

There was also continuity on the -line.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:04 am

McVay certainly says the right things as far as I'm concerned:

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-reds ... be-similar

About Gruden's approach:
“The foundation and base principles will remain the same. Jay does a great job of adjusting to his players. He doesn’t make the player adjust to his scheme.”
=D>

Talking about RG3:
“With any player, especially at quarterback, I don’t care if you’re talking Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees,” McVay said, “you want to make sure to continue to hammer down the fundamentals and it all starts with your feet. Everything starts with footwork.”
=D>

I have a hunch that McVay is the right man for the job.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:16 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:McVay certainly says the right things as far as I'm concerned:

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-reds ... be-similar

About Gruden's approach:
“The foundation and base principles will remain the same. Jay does a great job of adjusting to his players. He doesn’t make the player adjust to his scheme.”
=D>

Talking about RG3:
“With any player, especially at quarterback, I don’t care if you’re talking Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees,” McVay said, “you want to make sure to continue to hammer down the fundamentals and it all starts with your feet. Everything starts with footwork.”
=D>

I have a hunch that McVay is the right man for the job.

I have no hunches... but I do like what he says... he certainly SOUNDS the part...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:33 pm

Agreed re McVay. I also feel the same way about Gruden right now. But results will be everything - the Redskins used up my reserves of blind faith a long time ago.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:43 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Agreed re McVay. I also feel the same way about Gruden right now. But results will be everything - the Redskins used up my reserves of blind faith a long time ago.

For you youngins out there... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN1J5sMv28Q

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:26 pm

Hes also the QB coach, but doesn't call the offensive plays (The head coach does) I don't know how great I feel about this coaching scheme
http://www.csnwashington.com/football-w ... -coach-qbs

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:38 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Sean's primary job will be to add to the offense and he brings a familiarity with the players ... this is a great partnership as a really good OC would have been "in the way"

I have no problem with Haslett staying - it's not because he's so great but more because of the fact that he's here & there were no DCs these guys wanted instead
Has gets a year - we'll be fine, he steps it up or we bring in someone else - Raheem should stay - could be a good job for him next season ...

Quick question: how many HCs from playoff teams actually called plays -- either on the offensive or defensive side of the ball? I have no clue. That is an honest question. I recall commentors saying that HCs have too much on their plate when they also are in charge of playcalling.

And as far as Haslett. I have a huge problem with him staying. Unless he does something vastly different -- like change the DEF to a 4-3 -- we are just going to see more of the same (or worse).
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:54 pm

You guys do not have a clue if you think it's as simple as having an OC, DC or HC all doing a great job

GIVE ME A BREAK - ROTFALMAO

we need: RG3 to have a really good off season of preparation and getting on the same page with his offensive players and coaches - we need to find a number of good free agents - we need to really do well with our draft picks - we need the players to be really committed to the schemes and their preparation

we do not need the HC, OC and DC to be anything special - all they need to do is just do their jobs as well as they can

if ALL of these things happen we MIGHT have a good product on the field this coming season and we MIGHT even be really good in 2015

anyone that thinks that we are going to be competitive this coming season even if all these things happen + the coaches all doing a fantastic job, is just kidding themselves

what sort of stupid drink are you guys on - we are in transition here - it's going to take some time to get EVERYTHING together

we have a lot of new guys (players and coaches) coming in and they will require some time to develop

the OC and DC will be the least of our worries this coming season - we have many other issues to take care of before it will be because of this OC or Jim Haslett

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:28 am

Mcvay is probably an extension of Gruden. I am not really worried about things on the offense. I am quite confident in the Gruden name when it comes to offense.

What really makes me wonder is how our defense is going to look?
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:18 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Mcvay is probably an extension of Gruden. I am not really worried about things on the offense. I am quite confident in the Gruden name when it comes to offense.

What really makes me wonder is how our defense is going to look?

EVENTUALLY we will see a consistently competitive product on the field
maybe as early as 2015 IF we can have a couple of good drafts and add some free agents that can develop some chemistry here

we all are aware of how many players need to be replaced and we know that it's going to take at least a year

we should be better than last season but that's not a huge deal

same old Redskins - we're getting better but it takes time to undo the mess that Snyder created

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football