Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11106
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:11 pm

Special teams improvement might be the easiest, best bang-for-his-buck method that Gruden can use to improve our team's overall record. Tilting the average starting field position back toward the other team's end zone will make our defense and offense that much more effective — not to mention the benefits of not giving up 10+ points on ST alone in a game. :oops:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

the 'mudge
Posts: 14784
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Ben Kotwica was at West Point when Desertskins was there... hopefully, he will know something of him...

He was 4-0 against Navy... that's all I need!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ
Posts: 13637
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: RG3 support team

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Well if we ask "are they playing well together?" and it isn't the coaches or players or refs, then what else would you figure to be the problem?


The reason this franchise has not done well in the past is basically because of Dan Snyder

This franchise has not done well recently because of Mike Shanahan and Dan Snyder


this FO and Jay Gruden will now get a shot at it - hopefully Dan Snyder stays out of it but that is not likely ...
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog
Posts: 2460
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Then hopefully this next coach wont have a problem if Dan has diner with a player.

tribe
Posts: 6200
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:14 am

It is Official....Skins have hired Kotwica.

In addition to his football career, Kotwica’s background includes his time as a decorated officer who spent eight years in the United States Army after graduating from the United States Military Academy at West Point. His military career included operations in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Korea and Iraq. In 2004, he was deployed as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom II, serving as a Combat Attack Helicopter Commander and flying more than 1,000 combat hours in support of five maneuver Brigades within the 1st Calvary Division.

http://realredskins.com/2014/01/15/pres ... ams-coach/
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:59 am

fredp45 wrote:I forgot -- "distant third was the talent pool" -- I absolutely do NOT agree with this... our talent on ST was horrible, the worst in the league.

By the way, Niles didn't have a great year himself.

It was basically the same as the year before when ST was respectable under Danny Smith. The biggest change was at coordinator. Our coverage team's were one of the best on the NFL under Smith and historically bad with the first year ST coordinator, Burns.

Yes we lost Alexander, Sundberg, and Crawford. But Sandburg was lost for half of the season in 2012 too and Crawford didn't start returning points until the very end.

We had talent on our team that Shanny didn't allow or force to play ST. Current and former players called out the ST coach for his coaching. The players didn't trust Burns, so of course they wouldn't play well for him. It is hard to play well when you don't buy in on what you are doing.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:00 am

Kilmer72 wrote:Then hopefully this next coach wont have a problem if Dan has diner with a player.

Hopefully Dan stops having dinners with players!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:05 am

Countertrey wrote:Ben Kotwica was at West Point when Desertskins was there... hopefully, he will know something of him...

He was 4-0 against Navy... that's all I need!

He must have been at Army decades ago if he went 4-0 against Navy, because I don't think Army has beaten Navy in any year starting with a 2. I'm sure they have won a couple this century, but I can't remember it.

Go Navy, Beat Army!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ
Posts: 13637
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: RG3 support team

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:25 am

Kilmer72 wrote:Then hopefully this next coach wont have a problem if Dan has dinner with a player.


Dan Snyder having dinner with RG3 is not the problem ... the problem is the perception that is 'promoted' by the media and some fans that RG3 is treated differently

having dinner is not the problem
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:55 am
Location: Vallejo, California

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby HarleyHog » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:37 am

Kilmer72 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:it's a team game and people want to blame the coach or the players and even the refs - what about asking "are they playing well together?

fact is if you don't have 11 guys on the field doing what they have to do TOGETHER you're going to have FAILURE

- the salary cap hurt our depth but if Danny Smith left because he felt like Mike was making it difficult for him to do his job, then that tells us a lot

there's a lot of excuses for this franchise not playing well together for over 15 years - it's got to come down to 1 of 2 things - the owner or the HC or both :twisted:


Well if we ask "are they playing well together?" and it isn't the coaches or players or refs, then what else would you figure to be the problem?



It is not sound logic to assume that it was the same problem all along.
Snyder has gotten the rap as a 'bad owner', but I never saw it at all. He grew up a fan, loves the team, and willingly spends. He made bad DECISIONS, but has evolved and stepped back and essentially LISTENED to some of his critics.
Those bad decisions, sadly, have included coaches. Shanny clearly improved the team, despite two years of capgate, but 3-13 ...
but those 13 losses came for varied reasons. Some were RGIII not up to speed and clearly way out of synch, some were coaching inadequacy, some a talent gap, and other crap mixed in and all around. Personally, I include John (I'm a big pile of Mara) Mara and his goon squad of zebras as well, but, of course, I know that the officials treat all teams equally :roll:
What it comes down to is it's a tough league, especially in the age of parity. The gap between W and L is really quite small, hence 'any given Sunday'.

Let's just hope that Gruden's balance of strengths and weaknesses, the will of the injury gods, the luck of the bounce, and the wrath of Mara hit the scales tilting a little in our favor.
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4984
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:18 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Ben Kotwica was at West Point when Desertskins was there... hopefully, he will know something of him...

He was 4-0 against Navy... that's all I need!

He must have been at Army decades ago if he went 4-0 against Navy, because I don't think Army has beaten Navy in any year starting with a 2. I'm sure they have won a couple this century, but I can't remember it.


Me either. I didn't realize Kotwica went to the Jets after coaching at USMAPS. Very cool!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4984
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:30 am

Irn-Bru wrote:Special teams improvement might be the easiest, best bang-for-his-buck method that Gruden can use to improve our team's overall record. Tilting the average starting field position back toward the other team's end zone will make our defense and offense that much more effective — not to mention the benefits of not giving up 10+ points on ST alone in a game. :oops:


That's a great point btw.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

the 'mudge
Posts: 14784
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:16 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Ben Kotwica was at West Point when Desertskins was there... hopefully, he will know something of him...

He was 4-0 against Navy... that's all I need!

He must have been at Army decades ago if he went 4-0 against Navy, because I don't think Army has beaten Navy in any year starting with a 2. I'm sure they have won a couple this century, but I can't remember it.

Go Navy, Beat Army!


Ahem... 93, 94, 95, 96. I was there for the 95 Game... 14-13... a BRUTAL, and INCREDIBLE end of game VICTORY for the Black Knights!
It is called... "The DRIVE"... starts at 1:38 Dropped my damned 35mm SLR... broke the battery cover off... didn't care.

Go Army, Beat Navy...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1797
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby markshark84 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:18 pm

HarleyHog wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:it's a team game and people want to blame the coach or the players and even the refs - what about asking "are they playing well together?

fact is if you don't have 11 guys on the field doing what they have to do TOGETHER you're going to have FAILURE

- the salary cap hurt our depth but if Danny Smith left because he felt like Mike was making it difficult for him to do his job, then that tells us a lot

there's a lot of excuses for this franchise not playing well together for over 15 years - it's got to come down to 1 of 2 things - the owner or the HC or both :twisted:


Well if we ask "are they playing well together?" and it isn't the coaches or players or refs, then what else would you figure to be the problem?



It is not sound logic to assume that it was the same problem all along.
Snyder has gotten the rap as a 'bad owner', but I never saw it at all. He grew up a fan, loves the team, and willingly spends. He made bad DECISIONS, but has evolved and stepped back and essentially LISTENED to some of his critics.
Those bad decisions, sadly, have included coaches. Shanny clearly improved the team, despite two years of capgate, but 3-13 ...
but those 13 losses came for varied reasons. Some were RGIII not up to speed and clearly way out of synch, some were coaching inadequacy, some a talent gap, and other crap mixed in and all around. Personally, I include John (I'm a big pile of Mara) Mara and his goon squad of zebras as well, but, of course, I know that the officials treat all teams equally :roll:
What it comes down to is it's a tough league, especially in the age of parity. The gap between W and L is really quite small, hence 'any given Sunday'.

Let's just hope that Gruden's balance of strengths and weaknesses, the will of the injury gods, the luck of the bounce, and the wrath of Mara hit the scales tilting a little in our favor.


Disagree with your Danny sentiment. Whether people want to believe it or not some of the "strengths" -- like his love for the skins being a home town kid -- have actually hurt this team due to his ignorance to the general game of football. When he first bought, he wanted to BUY (via FA) a winner --- the problem was, he didn't know how to and knew NOTHING about football. This was obvious by his free agent spending spree. In the NFL, teams are built --- not bought. He had no understanding of that simple concept.

It took him a decade to figure out that a GM was actually necessary to win (and I'm still not 100% sure he does). Meanwhile we sat thru his coach firings (like the team being horrible was Turner, Schotts, or Gibbs' faults --- hell, even Zorn was put in a position to lose) and dumb FA pick ups. Then he goes out and gets a big name coach with nothing to prove and a management type GM...... That didn't work out. Now he hires an "up and coming" coach with something to prove and doesn't hire a pure player personell GM in charge of scouting, drafting, FA, etc. (and yes, some say this is Allen, but he did NOT do with while MS was here)....... We'll see how this turns out, but based on his history, he will continuing making different mistakes due to his ignorance, lack of understanding regarding the game of football, and his inability to learn football. The only way he'll win is by COMPLETELY taking himself out. Hire a real GM and collect checks --- but he is unwilling to do this due to his "love of all things skins"...... so these "strengths" you speak of are actually weaknesses.

When determining whether someone is a good owner, being a fan or the ability to spend DOES NOT IN ANY WAY MAKE SOMEONE A GOOD OWNER. Winning does. And winning come from making good decisions --- something Danny has never done (other than the 1 case where he was able to get Gibbs out of retirement). A good owner is one that wins ---- NOT one that spends or likes his team. So, none of the things you list above, have any relevance to being a good owner. They would make him a good FAN -- which is what he should be.

JKC was a GREAT owner --- and he didn't grow up in DC (he was born in Canada after all), didn't grow up loving the skins, or spent the way Danny does (since no one does). The reason he was great was because he lead us to 3 SBs. This being said even though he moved the team out of DC......

Winning is the measuring stick by which all owners should be judged. Nothing more, nothing less.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4984
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Rumor: Redskins Hire Jets Special Teams Coordinator

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:37 pm

markshark84 wrote:Disagree with your Danny sentiment. Whether people want to believe it or not some of the "strengths" -- like his love for the skins being a home town kid -- have actually hurt this team due to his ignorance to the general game of football.


I get your point, but being a home town kid, loving the team and be willing to spend freely have not "actually hurt this team" like you're saying. "His ignorance to the general game of football" is what has hurt the team. He could be a spendthrift from Kentucky who grew up loving the Chargers, and his bad decisions would still be what have hurt the team.

I think when people point to these "strengths" of Dan Snyder, they're kind of saying, "To his credit, Snyder is a guy who loves and has loved this team as much as I have. Too bad he's been such an idiot." :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football