Robert Griffin Next Year

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Re: Robert Griffin Next Year

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:13 am

you're right CLL - it was not primarily the fault of the players on the O line it was a combination of many factors including scheme and preparation or a lack thereof - Robert was not properly prepared/coached for what was going to happen with the offense and the rest of the offense did not seem to have a good idea of what to do when plays broke down which they did a lot ...

the bottom line is the offense was not good - that was due to many factors not just an O line or a coach or a QB not being ready physically or mentally - time to change it up

I still think we'll see 4 out of the 5 starters not playing here by opening day 2015

Robert's going to get a lot of support and I'm sure he will have a lot to contribute as well - I don't think that the offensive issues were all on Kyle but I do look for a lot more 'offense' from Jay & Sean and I think a lot more 'effort' on the part of all the players on offense as well
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:58 am

DarthMonk wrote:Another reason for Aaron Rodgers to be the model - only take off when the pocket breaks down.

Can I ask what may be a dumb question. Why is it "bad" for Robert to throw from outside the pocket? Is the negative just that he opens himself up to more hits out there?

I ask mainly because it has always looked to me like he throws better and is maybe even more accurate when he's rolling out and moving. (I have no proof of that, just an impression.)

Anyway, just curious what the reasoning is.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:22 am

riggofan wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Another reason for Aaron Rodgers to be the model - only take off when the pocket breaks down.

Can I ask what may be a dumb question. Why is it "bad" for Robert to throw from outside the pocket? Is the negative just that he opens himself up to more hits out there?

I ask mainly because it has always looked to me like he throws better and is maybe even more accurate when he's rolling out and moving. (I have no proof of that, just an impression.)

Anyway, just curious what the reasoning is.

It's not bad. But people must realize that it negates the pocket. It negates the lines ability to block for him. The linemen have spots that they get to, to form a pocket. If Robert moves from his predetermined spot, how can the line be effective? Are they to look behind them with the leagues best rushers bombarding them?

If he's going to do this, it must be practiced so that the line is more aware of the possibility. The WR's must practice these broken plays, so that Robert can get the ball out quicker. They have to practice coming back to the ball. They have to learn tendencies. Time spent practicing broken plays is time taken away from practicing the ACTUAL offense. Gotta find a balance.

SkinsJock wrote:the bottom line is the offense was not good - that was due to many factors not just an O line or a coach or a QB not being ready physically or mentally - time to change it up

Yessir.

SkinsJock wrote:I still think we'll see 4 out of the 5 starters not playing here by opening day 2015

I'm thinking 3/5. We'll have to see what happens. Roberts progression can alter than. Maybe some guys on the line are well suited for Grudens scheme. Who knows, but I get ur point and agree.

SkinsJock wrote:Robert's going to get a lot of support and I'm sure he will have a lot to contribute as well - I don't think that the offensive issues were all on Kyle but I do look for a lot more 'offense' from Jay & Sean and I think a lot more 'effort' on the part of all the players on offense as well

Robert MUST contribute.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:37 pm

Robert will be very motivated to change the perception that many have of him - we're going to see a huge change in attitude and in his play - his leadership on and off the field is a key for this franchise
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:59 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Robert will be very motivated to change the perception that many have of him - we're going to see a huge change in attitude and in his play - his leadership on and off the field is a key for this franchise

Totally agree. I think this fresh start for RGIII will be the best thing to come out of firing Shanahan.

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:14 am

DarthMonk wrote:Excerpts:

"My goal in training camp is to see how much he can develop as a drop-back passer," Gruden said. "Obviously he can do the rollouts and the naked bootlegs and all that. But let's see what he can do from the pocket, and if he can run from there, that's when he'll really get a lot of yards."

"There comes a point in a season, in a game, when you have to do some dropback passing," he said. "You are going to have third-and-12 where you can run read option or a bubble screen. If you are down two touchdowns late in the third quarter, you have to be able to be a dropback passing team. You have to have that part established. So we really want to focus on that, teach him some concepts we like and have at it."

"It's a long season," Gruden said. "It's a 16-game grind. You don't want him getting hit 15, 20 times a game on read options. You have to keep your stars healthy. You don't want to put him at risk too much. But that's who he is. It's what he is as a quarterback. He's very effective in that regard."

Link:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66930520

He's saying he wants Griffin to acquire the skills to become effect in the pocket. Griffin will to make the pre snap read to understand the rush coming his way so adjust the protection for a better pocket and understand how to move in concert with the pocket while he rapidly makes his post snap read and correctly starts his progressions based on the post snap read. This is what Gruden and the coaches will try to teach Griffin, and hopefully they'll have better luck with Griffin than the last crew.

I hope I am pleasantly surprised because Griffin is committed to learning the thinking part of his job and has spent the winter watching video and learning how to recognize defenses, call protections make post snap reads execute his progressions in the film room so when he takes the field he will be able to do more than scramble around and chuck it like in 2012. Hope springs eternal.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:47 am

I think a lot of people are under-rating the health aspect here. Kirk Cousins looked quicker than RGIII did in the pocket last year, and I don't mean pocket presence, I mean he literally had better lateral movement. RGIII was ok in a straight line, but his agility was sapped last year. He didn't have trouble throwing the ball in 2012, and it wasn't all because of the read option that he threw well. Expect his results to be based mostly upon his health.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:47 am

brad7686 wrote:I think a lot of people are under-rating the health aspect here. Kirk Cousins looked quicker than RGIII did in the pocket last year, and I don't mean pocket presence, I mean he literally had better lateral movement. RGIII was ok in a straight line, but his agility was sapped last year. He didn't have trouble throwing the ball in 2012, and it wasn't all because of the read option that he threw well. Expect his results to be based mostly upon his health.

Interesting observation, you may be correct. Chris Cooley and many other knowledgable observers commented that Griffin didn't shift effectively stay within the pocket but attributed it to a lack sense of what to do or pocket presence but you are quite right Griffin's reduced lateral ability could really accentuated the problem. If that was the case it than I feel even stronger that Griffin should not have played last year.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:51 am

Robert Griffin III - QB - Redskins

Robert Griffin III said he will not wear a knee brace this season.

The bulky brace Griffin lugged around throughout the 2013 season appeared to really limit him. He rushed for just 489 yards and zero touchdowns, often lacking the explosive edge speed we saw during his rookie campaign. When Week 1 comes around this year, he'll be roughly 20 months removed from his ACL tear and primed for a bounce-back under Jay Gruden.

Source: CSN Washington Mar 19 - 8:28 AM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:21 pm

I am pretty optimistic about Robert and the '14 season. There was a lot that went into the 3-13 season besides the play from our QB. And I do concur that Robert's mobility was hampered dramatically last season. Far too many times I saw defenses track him down in the backfield as he was unable to avoid the rush.....unlike '12 where it seemed that he was houdini back in the pocket with the ability to change direction and move that confounded many good D fronts. Also, that same inability to move laterally impacted his throwing accuracy.....same as in the game vs Seattle after he had reinjured that knee. What is debatable to me is whether those issues in '13 were more due to knee brace/physical limitations, or just Robert's mental state and trust in the repaired knee.

From accounts while at Baylor, he returned to form there in the second year after that ACL surgery.

Add to that a new HC, that was a QB, and who actually seems to listen to, and act upon, player input. Someone who is not so rigid in his "system" that he is blinded to other options.

Also add that Robert is hosting his WR's and HB's to work out with him....similiar to what he did back in '12 after he was drafted. He has a full offseason to work on his trade as a QB. He is driven to improve and succeed. He is apparently more than willing to put in the work that hopefully will return him to an improved version of what we saw in '12.

And, if Robert does return to form....that bodes very well for our chances to recover next season. We will have a "weak" schedule thanks to our 3-13 season. Our ST play hopefully will improve (certainly cannot get much worse than last season). If our D can show some improvement as well.....now that our DC can do what he wants vice having MS interfere with his strategy.....there is no reason why we cannot compete for the NFCE title again.

But it really depends on Robert. As he goes, so will the team. The team fed off of his playmaking ability in '12. Hopefully that is what we see again in '14.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

08 Champ

Re: Robert Griffin - 2014 version

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:46 am

Robert Griffin will be the QB we expected and Jay Gruden will do a good job as HC because he's not going to micro manage like Mike

the issues are the O line, the secondary and the front 7 defensively .... and the amount of time it takes to add the players needed and have them develop some continuity

2014 will be an improvement over 2013 (how hard is that to predict) and 2015 should see this franchise competing for a playoff spot again

that's the optimistic outlook ... :D

Robert Griffin is not the QB we saw in 2012 or the QB we saw in 2013 - he's just a really good QB and leader - that's what he's always been

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:29 am

SkinsJock wrote:Jay Gruden will do a good job as HC because he's not going to micro manage like Mike

We'll see. I think its probably true that JG will be more focused on the offense and let Haz take care of the D.

Of all the excuses we've heard though about the defensive performance (and I use that word loosely) last year, the "Haz was handcuffed by Mike" stuff holds the least water for me. Seems like a big time crutch. I think depth and talent issues related to the cap penalty were the primary reasons for the D playing so badly.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:43 am

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Jay Gruden will do a good job as HC because he's not going to micro manage like Mike

We'll see. I think its probably true that JG will be more focused on the offense and let Haz take care of the D.

Of all the excuses we've heard though about the defensive performance (and I use that word loosely) last year, the "Haz was handcuffed by Mike" stuff holds the least water for me. Seems like a big time crutch. I think depth and talent issues related to the cap penalty were the primary reasons for the D playing so badly.

+1 - absolutely - the biggest problem this franchise had was the lack of depth caused by the 2 years of cap restriction - this affected just about every facet of play

despite the fact that we have an incredible QB, even with decent coaching, it's going to take this off season and next to rebuild the depth

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:16 am

SkinsJock wrote:despite the fact that we have an incredible QB, even with decent coaching, it's going to take this off season and next to rebuild the depth

I agree man - that is just a fact. And they're going to have to do it while figuring out how to keep our best young players who will be coming up on contract years in the next year or two. Its going to be a challenge. I don't know about you guys, but Mara and the Giants are going to be my most hated rival for a long time to come.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:31 am

Pretty awesome and revealing article about RGIII this morning. Check out his twitter comments:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ng-plenty/
Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III has demonstrated in recent days on social media a strong desire to get back to work with his teammates. On Monday night, Griffin retweeted a pair of PFT stories with a message that hints strongly at the dysfunction of days gone by.

In passing along to his 1.13 million Twitter followers our headline that coach Jay Gruden said Griffin works harder than any player Gruden has seen, Griffin said, “Coach supports his players, New Year.”

In passing along to his 1.13 million Twitter followers our headline that tackle Trent Williams defended receiver DeSean Jackson, Griffin said, “Players have each other’s back, New Year.”

The messages indicate that, in the old year, the coach didn’t support his players — and players didn’t have each other’s back. Griffin likely is right, given the stream of leaks that continuously dumped more and more criticism on a player who was doing all he could to play despite suffering a serious knee injury in January 2013.

It’s still a little jarring to see Griffin speak so candidly, but that could be the best way to shed the past for good and focus on a future premised on one thing.

“New Year. New Team. One Goal. Win!!!” Griffin said.

31 other teams have that same goal, but it’s hard to imagine this year’s edition of the Washington Redskins winning only three of 16 regular-season games.

For the most part, the team has been pretty good the past few months about not airing the dirty laundry from last year. And say what you want about RGIII but he has been EXTREMELY professional about that situation. I have a feeling though that we'll start to hear more about it in the coming months, especially if the team starts to turn things around post-Shanahan.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football