Robert Griffin Next Year

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Robert Griffin Next Year

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:49 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:C00ley says he expects a lot of bubble screens, and roll out short passes to get the offense rolling. I think this is most likely what we will see initially.

I'd like to see that. I think the worst thing that could happen Sunday would be to start with a couple three and outs. Need to get the offense moving and RGIII feeling confident.

Side note: I will be equally pleased if Gruden calls for and Griffin hits on an 80 yd TD bomb to DJax on their first play.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:11 pm

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:C00ley says he expects a lot of bubble screens, and roll out short passes to get the offense rolling. I think this is most likely what we will see initially.

I'd like to see that. I think the worst thing that could happen Sunday would be to start with a couple three and outs. Need to get the offense moving and RGIII feeling confident.

Side note: I will be equally pleased if Gruden calls for and Griffin hits on an 80 yd TD bomb to DJax on t play.

...and, I suspect that Houston will aniticipate that, cover with someone over the top, and send an extra rusher or two, just to see if Bob is for real. Could be hugely exciting... or terribly sucky...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:23 pm

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Side note: I will be equally pleased if Gruden calls for and Griffin hits on an 80 yd TD bomb to DJax on their first play.

...and, I suspect that Houston will aniticipate that, cover with someone over the top, and send an extra rusher or two, just to see if Bob is for real. Could be hugely exciting... or terribly sucky...

It would be kind of a Kyle move, wouldn't it? So yeah Houston of all teams should definitely be on the lookout for that. :)

Secondary might be the weak spot for Houston btw.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ns-preview
Ganguli: That'll be a big challenge to start the year for the Texans' secondary. It's going to look very different from how it has in the past, with starter Kareem Jackson taking a lot of slot responsibilities. He is a more physical corner, well suited to playing inside, where those defensive holding penalties are a little more forgiving. Johnathan Joseph is the Texans' other starter and he missed the entire preseason while managing his recovery from foot surgery in January. Joseph says he's ready to go, but how much he does isn't yet clear. Beyond those two players is A.J. Bouye, a talented but unproven cornerback who was an undrafted rookie last season. How he does against Washington's speed will tell me (and him for that matter) a lot about who he is as a defensive back.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Remember when the Bengals came out against us and threw that flea flicker on the very first play? I wouldn't be too surprised if Gruden pulls something similar.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:14 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Remember when the Bengals came out against us and threw that flea flicker on the very first play? I wouldn't be too surprised if Gruden pulls something similar.

Or Vick to DJax on Monday night.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Deadskins wrote:Or Vick to DJax on Monday night.

Please don't remind me of that massacre.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:17 pm

riggofan wrote:
riggofan wrote:

It would be kind of a Kyle move, wouldn't it? So yeah Houston of all teams should definitely be on the lookout for that. :)

Ganguli: That'll be a big challenge to start the year for the Texans' secondary. It's going to look very different from how it has in the past, with starter Kareem Jackson taking a lot of slot responsibilities. He is a more physical corner, well suited to playing inside, where those defensive holding penalties are a little more forgiving. Johnathan Joseph is the Texans' other starter and he missed the entire preseason while managing his recovery from foot surgery in January. Joseph says he's ready to go, but how much he does isn't yet clear. Beyond those two players is A.J. Bouye, a talented but unproven cornerback who was an undrafted rookie last season. How he does against Washington's speed will tell me (and him for that matter) a lot about who he is as a defensive back.

I honestly don't see short outside passing to be the correct strategy given the defense we're playing. HOU has Watt, Clowney, Brooks, and Cushing in their front 7. Their weaknesses are at NT, RDE, and DB. I still feel Morris is our best offensive player and would like to see us establish the run (preferable to the right side) in an effort to open up downfield passing lanes. Dink and dunk won't work against this group as long as everyone on their D is as healthy as they claim to be. Don't get me wrong, there are some major holes in the HOU D, but they have some great players.

As long as our OL can adequately protect against HOU's front 7, RGIII should be getting VERY VERY good 20+ yard downfield looks from DJ and Garcon (and Roberts and Moss --- man we have a good WR core) once they break free into the transitional DB coverages. RGIII should have marked this game down as his "break out" opportunity.

HOU's offense is still horrible. Fitzpatrick is horrible, Foster is grossly overrated, and Johnson is still angry he's in HOU. If we don't hold their O to under 17 points, we will have some SERIOUS issues holding decent teams to 30 this year.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:17 pm

riggofan wrote:
riggofan wrote:

I honestly don't see short outside passing to be the correct strategy given the defense we're playing. HOU has Watt, Clowney, Brooks, and Cushing in their front 7. Their weaknesses are at NT, RDE, and DB. I still feel Morris is our best offensive player and would like to see us establish the run (preferable to the right side) in an effort to open up downfield passing lanes. Dink and dunk won't work against this group as long as everyone on their D is as healthy as they claim to be. Don't get me wrong, there are some major holes in the HOU D, but they have some great players.

As long as our OL can adequately protect against HOU's front 7, RGIII should be getting VERY VERY good 20+ yard downfield looks from DJ and Garcon (and Roberts and Moss --- man we have a good WR core) once they break free into the transitional DB coverages. RGIII should have marked this game down as his "break out" opportunity.

HOU's offense is still horrible. Fitzpatrick is horrible, Foster is grossly overrated, and Johnson is still angry he's in HOU. If we don't hold their O to under 17 points, we will have some SERIOUS issues holding decent teams to 30 this year.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:20 pm

I wouldn't say Fitzpatrick is horrible. He's serviceable. There is a difference. Remember how he torched us when he was on Buffalo? He does have the ability to play elite in a random amount of games per year it seems like. I'm not writing him off, nor am I afraid of his ability. With that being said, I do agree that the key to winning this game is establishing the run game and hoping to God Morris has a Ryan Torrain vs. the Giants kind of day.

The only problem I see with the deep routes is Houston's pass rush. I have some concerns with our O-Line to being able to sustain a pocket long enough for Griffin to get a deep look. And once that pocket collapses, who knows what Griffin is going to do. Sunday can't come fast enough.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:59 am

Just saw a piece on Griffin on Campusinsiders.com - http://bleacherreport.com/tb/ddTt2?utm_ ... n-redskins

this 24 year old kid is impressive
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:11 pm

SkinsJock wrote:this 24 year old kid is impressive

People have forgotten. They're going to be reminded soon.

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Well the first game. I think he improved from last year and the preseason games. But, he still needs work.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:02 pm

EA7649 wrote:Well the first game. I think he improved from last year and the preseason games. But, he still needs work.

OK - but we all knew it would take time - I thought that he clearly showed that he's going to be a good NFL QB

some do not realize that this is in effect his first season playing in the NFL - he's showing that he can be the type of QB that Jay Gruden wants him to be and that is huge - many were thinking he would not be able to play like that

HUGE IMPROVEMENT AT QB - I am so encouraged
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:19 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
EA7649 wrote:Well the first game. I think he improved from last year and the preseason games. But, he still needs work.

OK - but we all knew it would take time - I thought that he clearly showed that he's going to be a good NFL QB

some do not realize that this is in effect his first season playing in the NFL - he's showing that he can be the type of QB that Jay Gruden wants him to be and that is huge - many were thinking he would not be able to play like that

HUGE IMPROVEMENT AT QB - I am so encouraged

Yes and hopefully Cousins talk doesn't overwhelm the Redskins. I think he's the real deal and can be a good qb. It'll take a little time, but it will work out. We shall see when he spreads the offense more this season.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:21 pm

SkinsJock wrote:some do not realize that this is in effect his first season playing in the NFL

How do you figure?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football