Is Alfred Morris due a major payday?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piglet

Is Alfred Morris due a major payday?

Postby drocksthaparty » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:16 pm

I like what Alfred Morris has done in the NFL since he entered, but it is cool to see his name getting love in the media. He is going to get a payday.

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/five-non-qu ... r-pay-day/

Hog

Re: Is Alfred Morris due a major payday?

Postby Mississippi Hog » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:22 pm

Fortunately, due to the new rookie wage scale, he can't reneg. his contract until after the third year, so we get one more year with him at pennies.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:20 pm

It would make good sense for the team to start work on his contract early... this kid is character, and will respond to a display of top down loyalty.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:18 am

It would be, but they cannot do anything until next offseason. CBA rules

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:42 am

Correct. They can't even start working on it with the agent. Example is Russell Wilson in Seattle. He's playing for like $500k this coming season. Most QB's who win a SB are going to easily get $1m per game/$16m year and a lot of that will be up front but b/c of the CBA rules, players can't negotiate until they're in their 4th year. 1st round picks give teams a 5th year option but that's it.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:48 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Correct. They can't even start working on it with the agent. Example is Russell Wilson in Seattle. He's playing for like $500k this coming season. Most QB's who win a SB are going to easily get $1m per game/$16m year and a lot of that will be up front but b/c of the CBA rules, players can't negotiate until they're in their 4th year. 1st round picks give teams a 5th year option but that's it.

Meanwhile a 10-year vet punter will make 2-3 times as much as Wilson next year because Wilson "never played a down in the NFL" before he was drafted and was thus unproven and doesn't deserve a better deal. Apparently.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:16 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:Correct. They can't even start working on it with the agent. Example is Russell Wilson in Seattle. He's playing for like $500k this coming season. Most QB's who win a SB are going to easily get $1m per game/$16m year and a lot of that will be up front but b/c of the CBA rules, players can't negotiate until they're in their 4th year. 1st round picks give teams a 5th year option but that's it.

Meanwhile a 10-year vet punter will make 2-3 times as much as Wilson next year because Wilson "never played a down in the NFL" before he was drafted and was thus unproven and doesn't deserve a better deal. Apparently.

I'm ok with that. There are not many professions where you come in fresh out of college (and may not have even earned a degree) and are given a salary where you make more than anyone else in the company.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:35 am

Deadskins wrote:I'm ok with that. There are not many professions where you come in fresh out of college (and may not have even earned a degree) and are given a salary where you make more than anyone else in the company.

Me, too. For every Russell Wilson, there are a dozen+ Jamarcus Russell's, Sam Bradford's and Derek Carr's. Wilson will get his big payday soon, and he will have earned it.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:52 pm

Countertrey wrote:It would make good sense for the team to start work on his contract early... this kid is character, and will respond to a display of top down loyalty.

I agree, but all contract negotiations should be done for the period after his contract expires. His contract runs through 2015 so we have time. If we don't take advantage of his contract thru 2015, it will make it more difficult to sign other FAs.

We should do what is necessary to keep him here until he's at least 28-29. I would start the negotiation process in the beginning of 2015 and try to get him signed to a 4 year deal --- since NFL contracts aren't gauranteed. I'd try to structure the contract so there wouldn't be a huge salary cap hit if we cut him after 3 years into the contract. Hard to say seeing how he's my favorite player, but that's the nature of the business.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Love Alfred Morris! But RB is not a position where I would spend a lot of money.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:28 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

I'm ok with that. There are not many professions where you come in fresh out of college (and may not have even earned a degree) and are given a salary where you make more than anyone else in the company.

There are not many professions where you come in fresh out of college and are immediately providing more value to the company than almost anyone else. Pro football is one of them.

Wilson and many of his contemporaries are getting ripped off. They already have to put in 2-3 years of risky labor in college for much less compensation than they are worth. Then the NFL exacerbates the problem with its new rookie contract structures. Sure, the lucky few who make it to their first contract extension will make up part of it, and the fewer still who have a long career will probably come out ahead in the long run. But a lot of people in the meantime won't ever get that far.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:34 pm

riggofan wrote:Love Alfred Morris! But RB is not a position where I would spend a lot of money.

Agreed. The NFL has changed quite a bit in the last 10-15 years, and this might be the most dramatic of those changes: decent to good RBs aren't worth their weight in gold anymore. I find this sad, but I really think it's true. And it's been the inevitable trend for as long as the rule changes have favored "exciting" offense, a project that's been decades and decades in the making.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:37 pm

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:I'm ok with that. There are not many professions where you come in fresh out of college (and may not have even earned a degree) and are given a salary where you make more than anyone else in the company.

Me, too. For every Russell Wilson, there are a dozen+ Jamarcus Russell's, Sam Bradford's and Derek Carr's.

Not anymore. A journeyman vet kicker that the Panthers cut in 2012 was making more at the time than Cam freakin' Newton.

Wilson will get his big payday soon, and he will have earned it.

Yes, and he is one of the lucky ones. Good for him, but . . .

Postby yupchagee » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:44 am

The NFLPA agreed to a CBA that shafted rookies. Those rookies didn't get to vote.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:27 am

Pendula swing... it's what they do. Rookie pay WAS out of control, and did need to be reigned in. The infrequent rook who was actually deserving of the 10 mil payday was overshadowed by the flash player who would never be worth 3 million, but got it anyway.

The real injustice is to those like Morris, who turn out to be worth more than they got... but because of the NFL's exemption, the league owners and the player's union can collude to keep him earning pennies on the dollar.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football