Teach Our D to Tackle

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
G4L

Teach Our D to Tackle

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:42 pm

How can we improve the tackling. I feel like the modern rules are preventing us from drilling this crucial fundamental into our D. Hopefully one of the new defensive staff hires can help teach and get this into our product on the field.
HAIL

piggie

Re: Teach Our D to Tackle

Postby oj » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:02 pm

You'd think they'd have the fundementals down by the time they get here - I'm not being critical of what you said, I'm agreeing - its' just that why should our coaches have to spend time teaching what they should have known to get here in the first place? They are defensive players, right?
Molon Labe

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:07 pm

oj wrote:You'd think they'd have the fundementals down by the time they get here - I'm not being critical of what you said, I'm agreeing - its' just that why should our coaches have to spend time teaching what they should have known to get here in the first place? They are defensive players, right?
Like so many others... tackling is a perishable skill... if it's not practiced, the skills degrade... players take short cuts, develop bad habits. League rules make it damned near impossible to practice these skills... though they really need to be worked
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:12 am

Too many players like to hit rather than tackle. It makes the highlight reels. In recent years the rules concerning hitting have changed so much the players are caught in multiple minds. If they just learned to tackle and practiced tackling, they'd improve no end

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:How can we improve the tackling. I feel like the modern rules are preventing us from drilling this crucial fundamental into our D. Hopefully one of the new defensive staff hires can help teach and get this into our product on the field.

This worst flaw I see is a failure to, what coaches call, break down. It's a stutter step that helps prevent whiffing.

I once heard Bill Walsh say it's not what you practice, it's what you emphasize. I bet Marty or Walsh would emphasize the skill of tackling.

Nice link:

http://www.westcoastoffense.com/practic ... anning.htm
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:48 am

Also...they need to LEARN how to strip/punch out the ball. Turnovers baby...!!! And I'm not talking about "apple" ones.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:18 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Gibbs4Life wrote:How can we improve the tackling. I feel like the modern rules are preventing us from drilling this crucial fundamental into our D. Hopefully one of the new defensive staff hires can help teach and get this into our product on the field.

This worst flaw I see is a failure to, what coaches call, break down. It's a stutter step that helps prevent whiffing.

I once heard Bill Walsh say it's not what you practice, it's what you emphasize. I bet Marty or Walsh would emphasize the skill of tackling.

Nice link:

Does Bill explain how you "emphasize" without practicing??? I'm not trying to be obtuse... that just seems non-sensical...

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:35 pm

Countertrey wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

Nice link:

Does Bill explain how you "emphasize" without practicing??? I'm not trying to be obtuse... that just seems non-sensical...

I think he was saying you practice all kids of stuff, but you only really emphasize a few points.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

I think he was saying you practice all kids of stuff, but you only really emphasize a few points.

Precisely. You can also practice tackling without emphasizing crucial components ... like breaking down.

It's not that you can emphasize without practicing. It's that you can practice without emphasizing.

Another similar one is this: Practice does not make perfect - perfect practice does.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:04 pm

... sooooooo... you have to practice tackling....

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:01 pm

As with any skill practice makes perfect.

From my observations most teams are bad at tackling save for a few. The Seahawks and 49ers both tackle like pros.

Very few teams tackle well these days. The 49ers and Seahawks both tackle very well.

Main problem with our team is they dive way too much and dont wrap up. I have seen Orakpo do this many times. He dives instead of running through a player while wrapping up.

The ideal mentality should be a swarming gang tackling mentality. A defender should first impead the progress by getting face to face with the ball carrier or get in his path first. If he is close enough wrap and run through him. If not just be in the path of the ball carrier maintaining his gap while others are swarming covering all the other ball carriers paths.
If a defender is good enough which most arent they can tackle without any help. Only legends are good enough to disregard any help and make all the tackles on their own.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:28 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Main problem with our team is they dive way too much ...

This is what happens when a guy does not break down.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Countertrey wrote:... sooooooo... you have to practice tackling....

Yeah, but anybody can practice blindly. Anybody can keep practicing the wrong way. It's not just practice. It's good practice with emphasis on certain keys. The number one key in tackling is to break down. Green Bay lost to SF because a blitzing DB had Kap dead to rights but did not break down.

We whiff on QBs again and again because we clearly do not practice breaking down. We jump at ball fakes. Imagine if while a guy is pump faking we are just breaking down. Then we sack the guy as he prepares to reload. Everybody wants to be a freaking hero. Kinda funny actually. The sack is worth so much more than batting down the pass which is what we are trying to do when we jump for a pump fake.

This is how we can improve our tackling ... by emphasizing the keys and practicing with emphasis on those keys.

It's not rocket science but it's not just "oh yeah, practice, duh."

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:43 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Countertrey wrote:... sooooooo... you have to practice tackling....

Yeah, but anybody can practice blindly. Anybody can keep practicing the wrong way. It's not just practice. It's good practice with emphasis on certain keys. The number one key in tackling is to break down. Green Bay lost to SF because a blitzing DB had Kap dead to rights but did not break down.

We whiff on QBs again and again because we clearly do not practice breaking down. We jump at ball fakes. Imagine if while a guy is pump faking we are just breaking down. Then we sack the guy as he prepares to reload. Everybody wants to be a freaking hero. Kinda funny actually. The sack is worth so much more than batting down the pass which is what we are trying to do when we jump for a pump fake.

This is how we can improve our tackling ... by emphasizing the keys and practicing with emphasis on those keys.

It's not rocket science but it's not just "oh yeah, practice, duh."
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Clearly, a professional coaching staff that is practicing tackling will be focusing on certain concepts... It should not have been necessary for me to specify that, but, apparently, someone is being a bit challenging... What ever... seriously??? Is there anything that you won't argue about?

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:34 pm

Saw that SF Safety Donte Whitner is a free agent..he could do some tackling for us!
HAIL

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football