Offensive line

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---

Re: Offensive line

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:33 pm

riggofan wrote:I think you're completely right about that. The Shanahan dog house was like the pit of no return or something, so you gotta think some of these players are looking at a legitimate chance to prove they can play. I would love to see one of these o-line draft pick guys step up and make a case for himself.

Yeah, I'm trying to reset my thoughts towards certain situations/things moving forward. Everyone is a blank slate moving forward, things may be better than we anticipate. The key thing to do moving forward is to have an open mind.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

piglet

Postby AnthonyRRedskin1995 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:42 pm

yupchagee wrote:From what I have read, Incognito has had problems elsewhere. Martin was a solid starter before the blow up. I'd go after him.

+1

Incognito has gotten kicked off every team he has ever been on since college. Why should we think his problems would be fixed if he joins the circus known as the Washington Redskins?

Martin has potential (just based on the little that I watched him play in college and with Miami). Also he comes with much less baggage than Incognito.
“I don’t like ‘em. They all have bad breath.” Dexter Manley on Cowboys Fans.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:33 am

Please God, no. Martin obviously has some mental issues he needs to fix before he comes back in the locker room. Incognito is the type of guy I don't think would mesh with the team to begin with. He's "Nasty" in a bad way just in terms of his play on the field. Similar to a Cortland Finnegan (CB).

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:57 am

frankcal20 wrote:Please God, no. Martin obviously has some mental issues he needs to fix before he comes back in the locker room. Incognito is the type of guy I don't think would mesh with the team to begin with. He's "Nasty" in a bad way just in terms of his play on the field. Similar to a Cortland Finnegan (CB).

Precisely!!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:43 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:Please God, no. Martin obviously has some mental issues he needs to fix before he comes back in the locker room. Incognito is the type of guy I don't think would mesh with the team to begin with. He's "Nasty" in a bad way just in terms of his play on the field. Similar to a Cortland Finnegan (CB).

Precisely!!!

Put me down for a "precisely" as well.

There was enough media attention on the Skins as it were. This incident took the Redskins out of the news for the most part. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet. Bob & a few WRs are traveling around (or at least will be soon) getting an early start on 2014. These guys can focus on football & not the bs media soap opera.

Plus Incognito kinda reminds me of Chris Farley :lol:
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:09 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:It will be interesting to see who's stock rises on the current roster. I think it's evident that Mike's evaluation techniques were questionable in some areas. His interaction with players was questionable, which is a fact.

So, WHO on this team was stuffed in the doghouse but could have really helped the team? We have a slew of o-linemen, they can't all be duds.

- Josh Morgan led the team in receptions his 1st year, drastically fell off the second and got in the dog house.
- Niles Paul, Mike's project... Said he reminded him of Sharpe... What really happened there? He's one of our best special teams players but never really got a chance to stretch the field.

I'm not trying to derail the thread but point out that Mike has opened roomed to doubt him. So, we may have to rethink our opinions of certain players. What we were fed, was it accurate...? We may have answers on the squad...

I think Shanahan has an exceptional handle on Front Office management. As a result, the team is in pretty good shape as it relates to the cap, and the latitude the team now has to make moves.

On the other hand, there have always been questions about his ability as an evaluator of talent... part of this may be related to the pretty clear evidence that he has always been wedded to a particular scheme... an opportunistic read and react running game built on zone blocking, and a mobile quarterback. You say "Mike Shanahan" and people think "ZBS" and "hidden running back gems"... They may think "won a superbowl"... but, I doubt that anyone sees him in the HOF.

He was tossed a load of crap with CAPGATE... it really hampered his plans to rebuild the O-line and the Receiver corps...

Without that cap space, I don't think he is a creative football mind... as a result, he "makes do" with smallish O linemen who really may not be able to play elsewhere... and he's realy good at finding running back gems... but, I just don't think he was a strong evaluator of "other" talent. Pierre Garcon was a coup... but he couldn't do much more than that with the receivers...

I was glad to see him come here... but mostly because I was comfortable that he could fix the front office, and reverse the pattern of defeatism at Redskins Park... Anything was better than the status quo at the time. Meh... but... the bottom line is, the team is MUCH better off than it was.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Great post, man. I know after last season, a lot of people will choke to read "the team is MUCH better off than it was" but I think the next year is going to prove you right on that.

So now that the books have been cleaned up, we have some real cap space to work with and all of that good stuff, what I really want to see is some continued sanity from the front office rather than a return to the old crazy days throwing ridiculous money at Albert Haynesworth. We're going to find out a lot over the next three months.

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:24 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:It will be interesting to see who's stock rises on the current roster. I think it's evident that Mike's evaluation techniques were questionable in some areas. His interaction with players was questionable, which is a fact.

So, WHO on this team was stuffed in the doghouse but could have really helped the team? We have a slew of o-linemen, they can't all be duds.

- Josh Morgan led the team in receptions his 1st year, drastically fell off the second and got in the dog house.
- Niles Paul, Mike's project... Said he reminded him of Sharpe... What really happened there? He's one of our best special teams players but never really got a chance to stretch the field.

I'm not trying to derail the thread but point out that Mike has opened roomed to doubt him. So, we may have to rethink our opinions of certain players. What we were fed, was it accurate...? We may have answers on the squad...

I think Shanahan has an exceptional handle on Front Office management. As a result, the team is in pretty good shape as it relates to the cap, and the latitude the team now has to make moves.

On the other hand, there have always been questions about his ability as an evaluator of talent... part of this may be related to the pretty clear evidence that he has always been wedded to a particular scheme... an opportunistic read and react running game built on zone blocking, and a mobile quarterback. You say "Mike Shanahan" and people think "ZBS" and "hidden running back gems"... They may think "won a superbowl"... but, I doubt that anyone sees him in the HOF.

He was tossed a load of crap with CAPGATE... it really hampered his plans to rebuild the O-line and the Receiver corps...

Without that cap space, I don't think he is a creative football mind... as a result, he "makes do" with smallish O linemen who really may not be able to play elsewhere... and he's realy good at finding running back gems... but, I just don't think he was a strong evaluator of "other" talent. Pierre Garcon was a coup... but he couldn't do much more than that with the receivers...

I was glad to see him come here... but mostly because I was comfortable that he could fix the front office, and reverse the pattern of defeatism at Redskins Park... Anything was better than the status quo at the time. Meh... but... the bottom line is, the team is MUCH better off than it was.

Not doubting your comment or anything, but do we know for sure who was the major contributor to managing our cap?

In other words, I just assumed it was Allen, has there been any word as to how involved Shanny was in this as well?

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:59 pm

My impression (that's all it is) is that Shanahan was the boss... and Allen took all cues from him... That certainly doesn't negate any skill that Allen brings to the position... and I'm perfectly comfortable with Allen running the show now.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:40 pm

Actually Allen did all the contracts. It was up to Shannahan to identify guys he wanted and if we could fit them in, they would. I'm sure Shannahan was consulted with what the issues where but in terms of structure, that was all Allen and why he was brought in to begin with and remains on staff.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:34 pm

Countertrey wrote:My impression (that's all it is) is that Shanahan was the boss... and Allen took all cues from him... That certainly doesn't negate any skill that Allen brings to the position... and I'm perfectly comfortable with Allen running the show now.

Thanks for the clarity brother. I think the urgency of the D Hall signing is a good sign of the things to come.

Man, after all these years, isn't a little strange to talk about us being good about money? I think the future greatness of this team starts with financial wisdom, and we're starting to see see a lot of signs that our FO has it.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:55 am

Neo wrote:Man, after all these years, isn't a little strange to talk about us being good about money? I think the future greatness of this team starts with financial wisdom, and we're starting to see see a lot of signs that our FO has it.

hah. We've tried everything else. Could fiscal sanity finally be the path that gets this team on track?

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:03 pm

I think as far as management goes we are way better off now then four years ago. Allen IMHO is doing a decent job. Mike left the team in good shape. Its not a total disaster is what I am saying.
We have a franchise QB, RB and a WR. We have talent at the OLB a decent starter or two on the DL. The secondary really needs to step up.

Back to the Oline. When I started this thread was before the second wave of reports and investigation was finished. After all the facts have been released concerning the Dolphins.
I think Martin is just a sensitive human being. Which some locker rooms may not welcome.

After second thought I still wouldnt mind picking up Martin. He was a solid starter but just needs some coaching up. Will that bring more drama to DC? It might take the spot light off of RG3 and allow him to do his thing.

With the big picture in mind. I dont care how we fix our Oline. Just as long as it gets better. Whatever it takes.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:06 pm

HEROHAMO wrote: I think Martin is just a sensitive human being. Which some locker rooms may not welcome.
Especially one that contains an infantile punk like Incognito.

After second thought I still wouldnt mind picking up Martin. He was a solid starter but just needs some coaching up. Will that bring more drama to DC? It might take the spot light off of RG3 and allow him to do his thing.

With the big picture in mind. I dont care how we fix our Oline. Just as long as it gets better. Whatever it takes.
I don't know... even if he's a really good guy... and no matter that he may have been treated like crap... I think it would be really had gaining the trust of the locker room.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:47 am

Yes he would have to earn the trust of the locker room. Which I think he could. Bottom line is he would have to earn his spot.

The whole fiasco in Miami makes me think of all the different coaches, organizations, players and personalities in the NFL past and present. Successful and bad.
I think about how a coach would not know what was going on in his locker room? How the Miami coach still has his job? I mean If I were to pay a coach I expect him to be on top of everything with my team. Yet this coach had no clue what was going on? Thats like the CEO of Mcdonalds not knowing what the price of a Big Mac is. Inexcusable.

Its clear that the Dolphins organization is going to stink as long as that coach is head coach.

I highly doubt a Gibbs run locker room would have anything like this happen. Parcells, Bellicheck, Vermeil etc.. The great coaches stay on top of things and for the most part know everything thats going on with the team.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football