Kirk Cousins trade - realISTIC possibility?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Re: Kirk Cousins trade - real possibility?

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:30 am

this is really simple - I do not think the FO will trade Cousins unless a franchise will give up more than many are indicating he's worth ...

this FO is not trading a good back up QB for less than he's worth
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:05 am

SkinsJock wrote:this is really simple - I do not think the FO will trade Cousins unless a franchise will give up more than many are indicating he's worth ...

this FO is not trading a good back up QB for less than he's worth

So pretty much everybody has agreed that Cousins is worth a second rounder at a minimum. You're saying the FO would not trade him for anything less than a first??? That's nonsense.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:07 am

SkinsJock wrote:I would be very happy with that and would have to say that riggofan, cowboykillerzRGiii, and the 'dead man' are absolutely in touch with what is going on regarding Cousins

Come on, man. That's a ridiculous statement. Nobody is making claims to be "in touch with what is going on regarding Cousins". We're discussing a very specific trade rumor.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:12 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Most, if not all, of this qb class are consider project qbs and or back ups... there's just not a whole lot of starter material this year. While I personally think Cousins has a ways to go- he is more gameday ready then anyone in the draft.

I agree. Its funny how that consensus about the QBs is starting to form. A few weeks ago most mock drafts probably had five or six QBs going in the first. Not sure what has changed exactly, maybe some real film study and workouts, but a lot of those presumed top guys have slipped a lot.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:40 am

I don't think that Cousins is 'worth' a first round pick - that's not the point ..

I just think that Cousins is worth more to the Redskins as a back up QB at this time than what a lot of GMs and fans think ..

it's possible the Redskins could trade him but I doubt that another franchise is going to make the Redskins an offer high enough ..

put another way - this FO is not going to trade Cousins at this time unless the deal is too good and I don't think another franchise wants to make that happen

we shall see :roll:

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:32 am

I'm not sure where you're getting your information about what the front office will or won't do.

Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports that the team would like a second-round pick in return for their backup quarterback.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... k-cousins/

It doesn't sound to me like another team has to make us some sort of "too good" deal to move Cousins. What they are looking for is a "fair" deal.

I don't disagree that Cousins is a good backup - I like him and will be happy if he's still here this year. I'd say his "value" to the team has gone down some now that Shanahan has left and all the QBs are learning a new system. I'd also encourage you to pull up Cousins stats side by side with Colt McCoy's and take a quick comparison. You might be surprised.

Unless you believe Cousins is going to be a Redskin for the long term then there shouldn't be any question that you take a second round pick for him this year or next if you have the opportunity.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:13 pm

This is really going nowhere - we disagree on Cousins value to the team

we shall see ...

btw - stats don't mean very much - Cousins is more 'valuable' than McCoy because he's a better QB

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:09 am

SkinsJock wrote:This is really going nowhere - we disagree on Cousins value to the team

Actually, it seems like we're all agreeing that for a #2 he's gone and for a #3 we keep him for the year
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:27 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:This is really going nowhere - we disagree on Cousins value to the team
Actually, it seems like we're all agreeing that for a #2 he's gone and for a #3 we keep him for the year

OK - that's a possibility - let's see if there's a franchise that thinks he's worth giving up a top 50 pick for - most think he's worth less than that :lol:

IMO - Cousins is worth more to this franchise as a back up for another season ...

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:47 am

SkinsJock wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

OK - that's a possibility - let's see if there's a franchise that thinks he's worth giving up a top 50 pick for - most think he's worth less than that :lol:

IMO - Cousins is worth more to this franchise as a back up for another season ...

I'm not clear how you got out of my saying that for a #2 he's gone and for a #3 he stays that I think we'll get a #2 for him. In fact I don't think we'll get a #2 for him, particularly this year. And probably not next year unless he gets an opportunity and plays better than he did at the end of the season. I've actually said all along that the people who think all the GMs who passed on him suddenly thought he was worth a high pick based on the pre-season are dreaming. He's a good backup, that's it so far.

I do agree with those who think there is some chance that Kyle would get Cleveland to meet our price if he doesn't like his other options to pry him free. He brought Grossman with him from the Texans, lightning could strike twice. I'm not holding my breath. But with 2 years left on his rookie deal, I say no way to trading him for less than a 2. A #3 isn't worth giving up your backup QB for. I'm not sure I'd trade him next year for a #3 either, maybe. We'll see how it goes.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:21 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:I'm not clear how you got out of my saying that for a #2 he's gone and for a #3 he stays that I think we'll get a #2 for him.

There isn't a person in this entire seven page thread who has said that the getting a #2 pick for Cousins this year is likely. But that hasn't stopped SkinsJock from disagreeing with all none of them. lol.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:49 pm

riggofan wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:I'm not clear how you got out of my saying that for a #2 he's gone and for a #3 he stays that I think we'll get a #2 for him.
There isn't a person in this entire seven page thread who has said that the getting a #2 pick for Cousins this year is likely. But that hasn't stopped SkinsJock from disagreeing with all none of them.
:lol: this thread was started on the premise that a trade for Cousins seemed like a "real possibility" on Feb 4 to someone :shock:

I did think it's possible but I doubted that the FO was going to trade him unless they got more than most thought he's worth - that's it ... that still has not happened

I did not think that there's a "real possibility" of a trade given that he's worth more to us than a 3rd round pick - it's that simple :lol:

maybe the FO was making a deal but it's been over 2 months - that's not a "real possibility" in anyone's estimation :lol:

you know what - maybe there's a real possibility we'll trade Cousins this season ... or maybe not :lol:

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:35 pm

In other words it might happen or it might not #-o The end!!!!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:51 am

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:
There isn't a person in this entire seven page thread who has said that the getting a #2 pick for Cousins this year is likely. But that hasn't stopped SkinsJock from disagreeing with all none of them.
:lol: this thread was started on the premise that a trade for Cousins seemed like a "real possibility" on Feb 4 to someone :shock:

I did think it's possible but I doubted that the FO was going to trade him unless they got more than most thought he's worth - that's it ... that still has not happened

I did not think that there's a "real possibility" of a trade given that he's worth more to us than a 3rd round pick - it's that simple :lol:

maybe the FO was making a deal but it's been over 2 months - that's not a "real possibility" in anyone's estimation :lol:

you know what - maybe there's a real possibility we'll trade Cousins this season ... or maybe not :lol:

Just so you know, when you use quotation marks, that means you are using the actual words of the person you are quoting. The phrase "real possibility" is not a quote, it's your paraphrase of what they said. They asked it as a question, but the way you interpreted it is not unreasonable. I'm just letting you know you don't put quote marks around paraphrases.

As for the content of your post, I think our only objection is that you're accusing anyone who discusses it with you of thinking we'll get a second round pick for him. That is not an accurate paraphrase, none of us said that.

Hog

Re: Kirk Cousins trade - realISTIC possibility?

Postby riggofan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:08 pm

I started the thread, so I know what I meant by "real possibility". If you continue to interpret "real possibility" as "likely possibility" that's just your own hang up. I've changed the thread title, so you can untwist your panties.

The thread was supposed to be a discussion of whether or not the rumors around the Browns had any truth to them. Did it make sense, could their interest in Cousins be real, could they be a legitimate trade partner, why or why not, etc;

If your entire contribution is just "THIS FO WILL NOT TRADE COUSINS UNLESS SOMEBODY MAKES A GOOD TRADE OFFER", then ok, we get it. Brilliant bit of insight. In other news, the front office will not draft Jadeveon Clowney if another teams drafts him first.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football