Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piglet

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby RedskinJimmy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:09 am

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:it seems that the guys in charge are not going to spend money on free agents like the Redskins used to ...

we have a lot of needs but these guys seem to be making sure that if they really find a player that they want they'll have the money to go get him

It looks like restraint and sanity, both of which are good things. I think its also smart to admit that we're not like "one good player" away from being good. It might make sense for the Broncos or Saints to drop $56m on a Jairus Byrd to put their team over the top. Definitely not the case in Washington.

Right ,we're not like "one good player" away from being good

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:27 am

Team by team FA grades.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pet ... honor-roll
Washington Redskins

Once upon a time, the Redskins were huge players in free agency. Now they are a lot smarter. They signed seven free agents and four of them should be starters: Defensive tackle Jason Hatcher, receiver Andre Roberts, corner Tracy Porter and guard Shawn Lauvao. They also re-signed linebacker Perry Riley and corner DeAngelo Hall, two starters. I like what Washington did without a huge splash. Grade: A-

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 am

In case you don't have an Insider account, here is ESPN's grade for the Skins in 2014 free agency:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mike-sando/post?id=7907
Washington Redskins
Grade: C+

Key signings: CB Tracy Porter, DT Jason Hatcher, G Shawn Lauvao, S Brandon Meriweather, WR Santana Moss, WR Andre Roberts, LB Darryl Sharpton, LB Akeem Jordan
Key subtractions: DE Darryl Tapp, DL Adam Carriker, LB London Fletcher

The Redskins were quiet when the big money was spent early in free agency and have signed players to relatively modest deals. They went for quantity over quality, perhaps counter to expectations for a team with significant needs and a history of imprudent spending. I was fine with the approach. If we're going to blast Washington for overpaying in past years, we can’t downgrade the Redskins too much for showing restraint.

"Not bad," Polian said. "This one is a little bit like Jacksonville. They added people who can play for them who are system fits at reasonable prices. And they got rid of some guys who really could not play."

The Redskins also managed to retain the rights to Brian Orakpo via the franchise tag.

"They really like Jason Hatcher and feel like, if they get two years out of him, they are good, and three would be awesome," Riddick said. "What scares me is he has only one year of production. He just never previously got the kind of production he got this year, which speaks to how good Rod Marinelli is as a defensive line coach. Look at Henry Melton and Julius Peppers after Marinelli left Chicago."

The Redskins got a good special-teams value with Akeem Jordan, but they needed help in their secondary and didn't get enough of it. Porter is basically a nickel corner with injury concerns.

"I like the Hatcher, Jordan and Roberts signings," Riddick said. "They can get out of the Hatcher deal in the third year with minimal problems."

And here is the rest of the NFC East for your enjoyment:

Philadelphia Eagles
Grade: B

Key signings: FS Malcolm Jenkins, SS Nate Allen, RB Darren Sproles (acquired via trade)
Key subtractions: WR Jason Avant

The Eagles went into free agency without many objectives after re-signing left tackle Jason Peters, center Jason Kelce, and receivers Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin. They will go into the draft with relatively few needs after re-signing Allen and adding Jenkins from New Orleans.

"I was praising them before free agency even opened," Williamson said. "They kept their own, including a bunch of guys familiar with that offense now. I don't like Jenkins that much, but safety was their biggest need and it is filled now. They are set up to take the best defensive player available throughout the entire draft. That is how I look at it."

Adding Sproles from New Orleans seemed like a luxury buy, but, with Chip Kelly there, the Eagles can get great value out of Sproles' skill set.

"That one will be interesting to see," Riddick said. "There are some down there in New Orleans who thought Darren's best days were long behind him and the wall was approaching faster than outsiders think. They made a calculated bet, and we'll see which team is right there. You just know the Saints know more about him than anybody else knows about him."

New York Giants
Grade: C+

Key signings: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, S Quintin Demps, G Geoff Schwartz, CB Walter Thurmond, RB Rashad Jennings, WR Mario Manningham, LB Jon Beason, CB Trumaine McBride, LB Jameel McClain, G John Jerry
Key subtractions: C David Baas, G Kevin Boothe, DE Justin Tuck, TE Brandon Myers, WR Hakeem Nicks, S Ryan Mundy, DT Linval Joseph, LB Keith Rivers

The Giants were busy, and they needed to be after a disastrous 2013 season shined light on just how bad the team has drafted recently.

"They have made some good signings, but it is usually not a recipe for immediate success and that is what it sounds like they need there," Riddick said. "I do like what they've done in the secondary even though I don't like DRC's contract. I really like Thurmond. They need to draft some offensive linemen they can develop because they have missed on so many. They have so many needs."

Rodgers-Cromartie is a 27-year-old cornerback with a Pro Bowl on his résumé, but that is only part of the story. He's also on his fourth team in six years, a reflection of his inability to consistently meet expectations. Rodgers-Cromartie seemed like an ideal candidate for a pay-as-you-go contract. Instead, he got a $10 million signing bonus that will create a cap burden if the team needs to sever ties in the next couple of seasons.

The Giants did get better on their offensive line. "I'm a fan of Schwartz," Williamson said. "Jennings is a quality player -- not young, but with a lot of tread left. They did not go big in terms of money, but they got quality guys. With the moves they made, they said, 'Yeah, we are not a piece or two away. We need five starters in free agency and none will be Pro Bowlers, but give me a lineman, a corner, etc.' They are not huge winners or losers, but I approve of their approach."

Dallas Cowboys
Grade: D

Key signings: DT Henry Melton, DE Jeremy Mincey, QB Brandon Weeden
Key subtractions: DE DeMarcus Ware, WR Miles Austin, DT Jason Hatcher

Getting Melton on a one-year deal carrying little risk to the team provided at least some light in a dark offseason for the cap-strapped Cowboys. However, there are some rumblings that Melton could be a bit behind schedule in his rehab. Overall, the Cowboys lost more than they gained. Releasing Ware would have made more sense in retrospect if the team could have re-signed him to a more reasonable deal. Instead, the Cowboys watched their most accomplished pass-rusher bolt for Denver while Hatcher, their leading sacker in 2013, signed with Washington.

We could applaud the Cowboys for showing welcome restraint in player valuation, but the reality is that Dallas was hamstrung.

"I lump Carolina and Dallas into a similar category because they're so strapped under the cap that there is little they could do, but the critical difference is that the current Carolina regime is picking up the pieces from Marty Hurney while the Cowboys are dealing with self-inflicted cap woes," Yates said.

The Cowboys have continually bought flexibility in the short term by pushing cap charges into the future. It caught up to them in this free-agent signing period when the team ran out of contracts to revisit.

"It's amazing how many bad deals they have done over the years," Riddick said.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:36 am

Dallas Cowboys
Grade: D

Key signings: DT Henry Melton, DE Jeremy Mincey, QB Brandon Weeden
Key subtractions: DE DeMarcus Ware, WR Miles Austin, DT Jason Hatcher

Getting Melton on a one-year deal carrying little risk to the team provided at least some light in a dark offseason for the cap-strapped Cowboys. However, there are some rumblings that Melton could be a bit behind schedule in his rehab. Overall, the Cowboys lost more than they gained. Releasing Ware would have made more sense in retrospect if the team could have re-signed him to a more reasonable deal. Instead, the Cowboys watched their most accomplished pass-rusher bolt for Denver while Hatcher, their leading sacker in 2013, signed with Washington.

We could applaud the Cowboys for showing welcome restraint in player valuation, but the reality is that Dallas was hamstrung.

"I lump Carolina and Dallas into a similar category because they're so strapped under the cap that there is little they could do, but the critical difference is that the current Carolina regime is picking up the pieces from Marty Hurney while the Cowboys are dealing with self-inflicted cap woes," Yates said.

The Cowboys have continually bought flexibility in the short term by pushing cap charges into the future. It caught up to them in this free-agent signing period when the team ran out of contracts to revisit.

"It's amazing how many bad deals they have done over the years," Riddick said.

:D
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:46 am

I am SO enjoying the Cowboys off season. I cannot wait to play them this year.

Postby SGTFulmer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:43 pm

http://voices.yahoo.com/outlook-possibl ... 65749.html

Decent article, written by ME! Tell me what you think, other than my excessive use of commas!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 am

Good job. :up:
A minor detail, but Orakpo is no longer franchised; he signed a one year deal.

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:11 pm

Deadskins wrote:Good job. :up:

Please edify. I'm not understanding the difference. He signed the franchise tender, right?

With the Redskins seemingly OK with letting linebacker Brian Orakpo play under the franchise tag tender for $11.45 million, they also don't seem willing at the moment to give him a long-term extension.

Thus, this latest bit of news Thursday makes sense.

Washington Redskins ✔ @Redskins
Follow
BREAKING: OLB Brian Orakpo (@rak98) signs his one-year franchise tender at #Redskins Park. Welcome back! #HTTR
9:09 AM - 27 Mar 2014

The Redskins and Orakpo have until July 15 to negotiate a long-term deal. Otherwise, Orakpo would have to play under the franchise tag tender. Washington coach Jay Gruden said this week at the owners' meetings that the team is OK with having Orakpo play on the short-team deal.

"We'd like to get him here for as many years as we can, but right now I wouldn't mind letting him play out this franchise tag and see what happens,” Gruden told reporters. “He's a talented player. I think he can do a little bit better. [We] can ask more of him where he could be more productive as far as getting his hand down and rushing more instead of dropping [into pass coverage] quite so much. We have high hopes for Brian and whether the deal gets done or not, we know he'll be a big part of our success [in 2014].”
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:23 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Good job. :up:

Please edify. I'm not understanding the difference. He signed the franchise tender, right?

With the Redskins seemingly OK with letting linebacker Brian Orakpo play under the franchise tag tender for $11.45 million, they also don't seem willing at the moment to give him a long-term extension.

Thus, this latest bit of news Thursday makes sense.

Washington Redskins ✔ @Redskins
Follow
BREAKING: OLB Brian Orakpo (@rak98) signs his one-year franchise tender at #Redskins Park. Welcome back! #HTTR
9:09 AM - 27 Mar 2014

The Redskins and Orakpo have until July 15 to negotiate a long-term deal. Otherwise, Orakpo would have to play under the franchise tag tender. Washington coach Jay Gruden said this week at the owners' meetings that the team is OK with having Orakpo play on the short-team deal.

"We'd like to get him here for as many years as we can, but right now I wouldn't mind letting him play out this franchise tag and see what happens,” Gruden told reporters. “He's a talented player. I think he can do a little bit better. [We] can ask more of him where he could be more productive as far as getting his hand down and rushing more instead of dropping [into pass coverage] quite so much. We have high hopes for Brian and whether the deal gets done or not, we know he'll be a big part of our success [in 2014].”

I didn't realize he signed the tender, I thought they had just negotiated a one year deal, in which case, we would have our franchise tag back. My bad.

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:20 pm

^^ I thought I was losing my mind. Oh wait ... where the hell am I?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:39 pm

So if we end up signing DJAX tomorrow, am I wrong in being fairly impressed by the team's approach to free agency this year? Obviously it was frustrating to fans not to get every player on the market on day one, but this slower, measured approach by Allen seems to have allowed us to sign a decent group of players and possibly even one elite guy.

Let me throw this out there too. Signing Clark today and possibly Jackson, I think the team has covered a lot of bases. Not that we're deep or completely set at every position. But I think they've put themselves in a good position for the draft. Some positions might be higher priority than others (safety, CB, ILB, maybe RT?) but they should have a free hand to draft the best players instead of drafting for need. I'm psyched.

Crazy off season.

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:31 am

riggofan wrote:So if we end up signing DJAX tomorrow, am I wrong in being fairly impressed by the team's approach to free agency this year? Obviously it was frustrating to fans not to get every player on the market on day one, but this slower, measured approach by Allen seems to have allowed us to sign a decent group of players and possibly even one elite guy.

Let me throw this out there too. Signing Clark today and possibly Jackson, I think the team has covered a lot of bases. Not that we're deep or completely set at every position. But I think they've put themselves in a good position for the draft. Some positions might be higher priority than others (safety, CB, ILB, maybe RT?) but they should have a free hand to draft the best players instead of drafting for need. I'm psyched.

Crazy off season.

Absolutley, I agree. We couldn't address every need with a perfect fit in one off season, but we've made a number of smart moves (Clark, Hatcher, Porter, Roberts, Sharpton) and we've brought in some new faces on the OL (Lauvau, McGlynn), some proven and much needed ST guys (Hayward, Jordan) plus those who can compete and add depth elsewhere (Geathers).

We should hopefully get a starter at pick 34, but as you say we can go for BPA now rather than address a pressing need, which is great.

And we're not done; after teams make their cuts I'm sure we'll bring in another couple of guys to contest certain spots, the OL being an obvious area.

Let's see if we get the Cherry for the top of the cake today with the DJax signing!

[-o<
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:16 am

WE SHOULD SPEND DANNY'S MONEY ON DESEAN JACKSON!

:mrgreen:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:49 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:WE SHOULD SPEND DANNY'S MONEY ON DESEAN JACKSON!

:mrgreen:

Finally! A straight up answer!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football