Byrd to be a FA

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Byrd to be a FA

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:30 pm

Jairus Byrd just signed a six year deal with the Saints per NFL Network. No idea of the $. Funny that he goes to a team that was shedding players to sign their tight end. #-o

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:04 pm

STUPID money.

Saints are giving former Bills S Jairus Byrd a six-year, $54 million contract, including $28 million guaranteed.

No need to feel bad about not landing that Byrd.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:39 pm

unless they get clemons they screwed up. FS has plagued them for years, and all the other options are dwindling fast. As hard as they've been pursuing corners so far, maybe they are trying to move hall to S.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:14 am

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:In free agency - the Redskins will spend less on more players rather than over spend on a few
I doubt that Byrd or any 'high price' free agent is being brought in here from another franchise this season

I want to agree with you, its just that we still have that guy who owns the team lurking in the background...

this FO is quietly doing their job and trying to undo the damage from Snyder's stupidity with players and contracts
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:26 am

SkinsJock wrote:this FO is quietly doing their job and trying to undo the damage from Snyder's stupidity with players and contracts

The damage has been undone for quite some time. It's the publics perception that will take MANY more years to fix.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:31 am

brad7686 wrote:unless they get clemons they screwed up. FS has plagued them for years, and all the other options are dwindling fast. As hard as they've been pursuing corners so far, maybe they are trying to move hall to S.

Forget that. I don't care how much we need a safety, I am glad as hell they didn't pay this kind of money for Byrd. This guy will be in N.O. for two years at most on that contract.

Look at some of the guys who are getting released right now. Peppers, Revis, Tuck, etc; A bunch of big name FAs who signed ridiculous contracts two or three years ago and weren't remotely worth the money or affordable in the long run. We did this stuff for YEARS.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:41 am

we're going to see the effects of paying some players big money here soon too

RG3 will get his pay day at about the same time that we're going to be getting it all together here and then we'll see if he wants what the market will be for a great QB or if he will go for a contract that will enable the team to pay other good players as well

good to see these guys holding off on the big contracts and trying to rebuild from the effects of both Snyder and the lack of cap money
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:46 am

SkinsJock wrote:we're going to see the effects of paying some players big money here soon too

RG3 will get his pay day at about the same time that we're going to be getting it all together here and then we'll see if he wants what the market will be for a great QB or if he will go for a contract that will enable the team to pay other good players as well

good to see these guys holding off on the big contracts and trying to rebuild from the effects of both Snyder and the lack of cap money

You're EXACTLY right, man. And this is one thing I like about Allen is that he KNOWS we have some of our own players coming up soon that we are going to want to be able to afford. RGIII is a few years off, but Kerrigan is another one. Orakpo is going to be an issue again next year.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:47 am

SkinsJock wrote:we're going to see the effects of paying some players big money here soon too

Yep.

SkinsJock wrote:RG3 will get his pay day at about the same time that we're going to be getting it all together here and then we'll see if he wants what the market will be for a great QB or if he will go for a contract that will enable the team to pay other good players as well

It'll be interesting but don't expect a player to take less than what he's worth. These guys get 1, maybe 2 contracts that are worth a damn. Gotta get it before it's gone.

SkinsJock wrote:good to see these guys holding off on the big contracts and trying to rebuild from the effects of both Snyder and the lack of cap money

Unless I'm missing something, they haven't done a big contract in a long time. At least not one in the mold of years past. Granted Garcon got a big contract, but he's been worth it. Bowen got a big contract and was worth it the 1st two years, last year was a bad year due to injury. Hell, Morgan led the team in receptions his 1st year and hasn't been talked of (the contract) as being a hindrance moving forward.

Bruce used to be an agent, he's doing right by the team financially. It's cap-gate that's been an issue.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:54 am

I am hoping that RG3 gets a huge contract as that will mean he's 'earned it' but I also hope that he's unlike most players and gets it structured so that it's in the team's best interests as well as his own

I do agree that these guys are managing things well here it's just a shame that Mike couldn't figure out how to work better with others

I'm very optimistic about our future under the new staff and I look forward to this FO and scouting department bringing in players that 'fit'

we know it's going to take more than a year but it will be fun to watch it happen here

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:this FO is quietly doing their job and trying to undo the damage from Snyder's stupidity with players and contracts

The damage has been undone for quite some time. It's the publics perception that will take MANY more years to fix.

A-F-ing-Men! General perusal of twitter, comment sections on realredskins.com, WaPo, and ESPN tends towards the majority of fans STILL acting as if it is 2000 and the skins were getting ready to sign every big name free agent out there AND acting as if we have some Dan Snyder problem to deal with. I just don't get why it is so easy to simply fall back on tired narratives without opening one's eyes. The fact that all the top (8, 7, whatever) safeties signed elsewhere doesn't phase me at all because 1. of the money they all (with exception of Mitchell in PA) signed for and 2. that I believe there is more than 1 way to improve your secondary (1 way is too improve your DL/Front 7) and 3. FREE AGENCY JUST STARTED 18 HOURS AGO!.

The team has lots of cap room left (no idea exact amount because K details not released yet), plenty of time, a draft coming up, DL and corner (which I believe is more important that safety play when talking about dollars you spend) FAs coming in. Remember that we have Ks coming up for renewal soon (Griffin, Morris, Kerrigan) that are going to cost us.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 am

SkinsJock wrote:I am hoping that RG3 gets a huge contract as that will mean he's 'earned it' but I also hope that he's unlike most players and gets it structured so that it's in the team's best interests as well as his own

- I'll tell you... I bet Mike's release had everything to do with Griffin staying a Redskin for his entire career. After what they gave to get him, it'd be chaos if he didn't resign.
- It's a pill all teams have to swallow, ur gonna pay out the a** for the QB. U gotta be able to develop ur own talent before that happens.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:05 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I am hoping that RG3 gets a huge contract as that will mean he's 'earned it' but I also hope that he's unlike most players and gets it structured so that it's in the team's best interests as well as his own

- I'll tell you... I bet Mike's release had everything to do with Griffin staying a Redskin for his entire career. After what they gave to get him, it'd be chaos if he didn't resign.
- It's a pill all teams have to swallow, ur gonna pay out the a** for the QB. U gotta be able to develop ur own talent before that happens.

They aren't called Franchise QBs for no reason.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:09 am

emoses14 wrote:They aren't called Franchise QBs for no reason.

Yep.

I kinda like that they kept most things intact. The defense. The FO. The offensive run scheme. Why?

We aren't starting from scratch. Hopefully the players drafted are given chances to play, if they deserve it. Hopefully by having the same systems in place, the FO can rely on this drafted talent to offset RGIII's future contract. It's gonna be tough.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:13 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
emoses14 wrote:They aren't called Franchise QBs for no reason.

Yep.

I kinda like that they kept most things intact. The defense. The FO. The offensive run scheme. Why?

We aren't starting from scratch. Hopefully the players drafted are given chances to play, if they deserve it. Hopefully by having the same systems in place, the FO can rely on this drafted talent to offset RGIII's future contract. It's gonna be tough.

I've got this nagging optimism about the skins due almost entirely to what you just pointed out. I'm trying not to let it show too much because, well, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice. . .

I also anticipate a very, very driven, angry, and dangerous Robert Griffin III next year and for years to come. My gut (which is hugely accurate, always) is telling me he is not the kind of person to take the bull spit that went on last year lightly. I'm hopeful that he does with slights what Michael Jordan used to do with them.

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football