Sproles to Washington?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Sproles to Washington?

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:46 am

riggofan wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:Because if a team really wants him they guarantee that they get him if they trade for him. IF there are multiple teams interested, it becomes a much more unpredictable situation if he is cut and becomes a free agent.

I understand that is the logic, but I still think its a stupid move 95% of the time. Also if you trade for him, you're just trading for his existing contract which is a sucky move for a dozen reasons.

Depends on the contract. Sproles had one year, $3 million left. The Eagles used a 5th rounder to get him, the same 5th rounder they got for trading a no-name to the Patriots last year.

Your estimate of 95% might be a little high, but even if it's true, this trade looks like it could be in the 5%.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Re: Sproles to Washington?

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:12 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
riggofan wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:Because if a team really wants him they guarantee that they get him if they trade for him. IF there are multiple teams interested, it becomes a much more unpredictable situation if he is cut and becomes a free agent.

I understand that is the logic, but I still think its a stupid move 95% of the time. Also if you trade for him, you're just trading for his existing contract which is a sucky move for a dozen reasons.

Depends on the contract. Sproles had one year, $3 million left. The Eagles used a 5th rounder to get him, the same 5th rounder they got for trading a no-name to the Patriots last year.

Your estimate of 95% might be a little high, but even if it's true, this trade looks like it could be in the 5%.

hah, maybe. I agree if the Eagles had an extra 5th rounder then they had some wiggle room and its kind of a wash for them.

At the same time, they gave up a 5th round pick for Sproles for one year. At the end of that year, what is going to cost to keep Sproles vs. what it would cost to keep that 5th round pick? That's why this would have been a sucky move for the Redskins.

Gotta say, I can't believe the Saints had him for $3m and let him go. Good move on their part to get a pick out of it though.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football