Griffin gets a new WR, Andre Roberts from the Cardinals

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Griffin gets a new WR, Andre Roberts from the Cardinals

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:41 pm

Here are more stats:

Code: Select all
   PLAYER           TEAM  REC  TAR  YDS  AVG  TD  LONG  20+  YDS/G  FUM  YAC  1DN
   Santana Moss   WSH   42   80   452   10.8   2   28       2      28.3     1   178   28
   Andre Roberts     ARI   43   76   471   11.0   2   34       3      29.4     0   106   22
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:35 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Here are more stats:

Code: Select all
   PLAYER           TEAM  REC  TAR  YDS  AVG  TD  LONG  20+  YDS/G  FUM  YAC  1DN
   Santana Moss   WSH   42   80   452   10.8   2   28       2      28.3     1   178   28
   Andre Roberts     ARI   43   76   471   11.0   2   34       3      29.4     0   106   22

The biggest thing that sticks out for me is the YAC. Moss, even at his age, had significantly more yards after catch than Roberts. From the numbers alone this doesn't appear to be any real upgrade over Moss. Obviously Roberts is younger and might develop some more, but his numbers to date point to him being a slot/#3 receiver, which still leaves us with a pretty significant need at receiver.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:52 am

YAC is a nice stat to look at, but doesn't tell the entire story, that's why all numbers in football have to be taken with a grain of salt. The season is so short, numbers can get skewed very easy. We tend to run a lot of bubble screens, which generally produce a lot of YAC. If a guy catches a seem route, or skinny post, and the safety blows the coverage, the WR goes to the house.....and most of those yards are YAC, but to me the WR did nothing more that catch the ball and continue running.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:14 am

PAPDOG67 wrote:YAC is a nice stat to look at, but doesn't tell the entire story, that's why all numbers in football have to be taken with a grain of salt. The season is so short, numbers can get skewed very easy. We tend to run a lot of bubble screens, which generally produce a lot of YAC. If a guy catches a seem route, or skinny post, and the safety blows the coverage, the WR goes to the house.....and most of those yards are YAC, but to me the WR did nothing more that catch the ball and continue running.

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing. Moss and those freaking bubble screens. :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:09 pm

Some more perspective on what Roberts cost us and why signing him doesn't have much to do with our addressing other needs:

For example, receiver Andre Roberts’ contract is worth $16 million. But through the use of signing bonuses and higher salaries in the third and fourth years of the deal, his first year cap hit is just $2.25 million.

And, due to the Rule of 51, the addition of Roberts to the payroll subtracted a net of just about $1.75 million from the Redskins’ available cap space.

http://realredskins.com/2014/03/13/reds ... ing-deals/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:00 pm

riggofan wrote:Some more perspective on what Roberts cost us and why signing him doesn't have much to do with our addressing other needs:

For example, receiver Andre Roberts’ contract is worth $16 million. But through the use of signing bonuses and higher salaries in the third and fourth years of the deal, his first year cap hit is just $2.25 million.

And, due to the Rule of 51, the addition of Roberts to the payroll subtracted a net of just about $1.75 million from the Redskins’ available cap space.

http://realredskins.com/2014/03/13/reds ... ing-deals/

Good stuff here, thanks for posting.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:37 pm

No prob. I'm still thinking if Roberts is less than a $2m cap hit we uh should have some money to sign a SAFETY right???

piglet

Postby RedskinJimmy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:35 am

Neo wrote:Roberts also has return experience. He also has blazing fast speed, but so does A. Robinson.

We`ll probably draft a taller WR.

Glad roberts return ,he did quite well ,http://www.weiketrade.hk/Product/Pro6191.Html

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:44 am

smh.
blah @ best.
not impressed.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:55 am

WR Andre Roberts said one of the reasons he signed with the Redskins was because he expects a pass-centric offense.

Under the Shanahan & Son offense, the Redskins ideally were a run-based team. They ranked 3rd in rushing attempts in 2012 and only sunk to 13th in 2013 because they trailed so much. New coach Jay Gruden allowed Andy Dalton to chuck it 586 times last year, so we know his scheme is going to highlight Robert Griffin III. Alfred Morris will remain effective, but we can't project a bump on last year's 285 touches. Roy Helu and Chris Thompson are better in the passing game.

Source: ESPN.com Mar 19 - 9:33 AM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football