Griffin gets a new WR, Andre Roberts from the Cardinals

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Griffin gets a new WR, Andre Roberts from the Cardinals

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Warmother wrote:I like this signing, Roberts is quick slot type of reciever. It makes me wonder if Santana Moss might be finished here.

I believe Moss is a goner, he couldn't catch last year and has lost 5 steps. Too old, now, loved him but it's time to cut bait. Sentiments don't win games. Watching Moss struggle last year was enough........

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:11 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Seems to me that it looks like Garcon is the 1 Roberts is the 2, now who do we have as the slot receiver? Robinson is fast but isn't that dependable catching the ball. We also need to get another LB and a CB........

I think Robinson did better in the slot than he did opposite of Garcon. Unless my memory is just making me see things that didn't happen lol. I recall him catching a lot more short route passes than he did in 2012. He improved, but I'm not sold on him.

When Hank was healthy, was he lined up opposite of Garcon mostly, or did we use him in the slot often?

Its hard to give up on Robinson & Hank after all this "development" and "break out" talk we've had for so long about them. Sucks because Robinson has rare speed, & Hank has good size.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Hank took over at starter next to Garcon after a few games. Issue with him is that he didn't heal correctly and the last report I saw was that he wouldn't be available to begin practicing until late July/August which is extremely difficult for a WR who needs to learn a new system and was already considered a fringe player. My guess is that he may enter the season on the PUP list or IR w/ designation for return.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:20 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
Warmother wrote:I like this signing, Roberts is quick slot type of reciever. It makes me wonder if Santana Moss might be finished here.

I believe Moss is a goner, he couldn't catch last year and has lost 5 steps. Too old, now, loved him but it's time to cut bait. Sentiments don't win games. Watching Moss struggle last year was enough........

I believe you are wrong.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:24 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Hank took over at starter next to Garcon after a few games. Issue with him is that he didn't heal correctly and the last report I saw was that he wouldn't be available to begin practicing until late July/August which is extremely difficult for a WR who needs to learn a new system and was already considered a fringe player. My guess is that he may enter the season on the PUP list or IR w/ designation for return.

Thanks for the feedback brother.

Yeah that's a tough break for Hank. I wouldn't be surprised if they just end up cutting him. This is the 2nd time he's missing much needed practice.

I had a lot of hope for this kids, like many of us, but I'm thinking he's done. We'll see.

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:47 pm

If anyone can find stats on Andre Roberts drops in 2013 that would be awesome!

I read the article where he is spoken about. This was 2012 season: "Andre Roberts found himself among the league's worst at dropping passes. He had 10 drops and 64 catches, for a drop rate of 13.5 percent."
http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2013/1 ... ps-in-2012

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:51 pm

2013: He has 43 receptions and 78 targets. I'm not sure if that's bad, could be the qb.
I mean Calvin Johnson had 84 and 156.

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:07 pm

I don't really understand this signing and it's not because Andre Roberts is a bad player or anything but more so because of need and money available. Perhaps our FO and coaching staff isn't high on Malcolm Jenkins or Antoine Bethea but for 16 million (Jenkins) i'd rather have a starting caliber safety than a marginal starting caliber WR. Our issues on defense, to me, far outweigh offensive skill position needs. I don't know, just seems odd but they obviously feel like our 2nd WR spot is a critical need. I'm not saying we should've signed Malcolm Jenkins either, but for 16 million i'd have rather had a safety who could start or put that money toward one. I hope Andre proves me wrong.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:22 am

An odd signing. Roberts' numbers last season were comparable to Moss' and he isn't a #2, maybe he'll be used as the slot receiver with his speed.

Roberts: 43 receptions, 471 yards, 2 tds
Moss: 42 receptions, 452 yards, 2tds
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby Neo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:28 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:An odd signing. Roberts' numbers last season were comparable to Moss' and he isn't a #2, maybe he'll be used as the slot receiver with his speed.

Roberts: 43 receptions, 471 yards, 2 tds
Moss: 42 receptions, 452 yards, 2tds

I see him as an Aldrick Robinson who can catch. Not sure why we didn't "aim higher" in this position (since they decided to go WR first), but I do like the signing. Our core from last year isn't going to cut it (expect Garcon).

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:40 am

Roberts is nice lil receiver. I kept my eye on him for fantasy purposes. He had himself a decent season. As some have said before he is slot type receiver.

Oh and no to Britt. Britt was not resigned by the Titans for a reason. Britt just keeps on dissapointing when he should be a lot better. I like Roberts better then Britt.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:06 am

Roberts is a hungry player with something to prove - exactly the type of guy we should be going for. He's had his nose put out of joint after being dropped to #3 WR after doing well the previous year when the Cardinals had Larry, Curly, Moe & Shemp at QB at various times. I think he'll rise to the challenge and be a legitimate #2 this season, better production than what Morgan gave us in that role anyhow.

Remember, we have a potential star at WR in Robinson, the new coaching staff may fell they are able to take him up to the next level in which case he'll be a major threat with that speed.

Moss is back, he'll be great in the red zone and he'll be a positive influence on Roberts and the WR or WRs we draft - who will replace him in 2015.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:18 am

riggofan wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:

I believe you are wrong.

My only issue really is why sign Moss back? He is clearly too old now and has lost his speed and seems to no longer make the sure catches he used to make. If you can't get open and have problems catching why take up cap space?

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:22 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Roberts is a hungry player with something to prove - exactly the type of guy we should be going for. He's had his nose put out of joint after being dropped to #3 WR after doing well the previous year when the Cardinals had Larry, Curly, Moe & Shemp at QB at various times. I think he'll rise to the challenge and be a legitimate #2 this season, better production than what Morgan gave us in that role anyhow.

Remember, we have a potential star at WR in Robinson, the new coaching staff may fell they are able to take him up to the next level in which case he'll be a major threat with that speed.

Moss is back, he'll be great in the red zone and he'll be a positive influence on Roberts and the WR or WRs we draft - who will replace him in 2015.

What makes you think Moss will be great in the red zone? He has no size, no speed. I would prefer our Tight ends over Moss in the Red Zone. I also think no matter who the coaches are, Aldrick Robinson is a bust, and will never be sure handed, it's a shame we can't take Robinson's speed and give him Hankerson's size and catching ability..........I think by the end of this season Robinson and Hankerson will be gone along with Moss.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 am

oneman56 wrote:I don't really understand this signing and it's not because Andre Roberts is a bad player or anything but more so because of need and money available. Perhaps our FO and coaching staff isn't high on Malcolm Jenkins or Antoine Bethea but for 16 million (Jenkins) i'd rather have a starting caliber safety than a marginal starting caliber WR. Our issues on defense, to me, far outweigh offensive skill position needs. I don't know, just seems odd but they obviously feel like our 2nd WR spot is a critical need. I'm not saying we should've signed Malcolm Jenkins either, but for 16 million i'd have rather had a safety who could start or put that money toward one. I hope Andre proves me wrong.

I hear you, but I don't think signing Andre Roberts has prevented us from signing a safety. There isn't really anything odd about it. Our 2d WR might not be as critical a need as a safety, but its still a position we HAVE to fill because Josh Morgan is gone.

Tom Lavarro was driving me nuts on the radio this morning with this stuff. Nobody disagrees that we need a safety, but it doesn't change the fact that we have a bunch of other positions to fill.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football