Shawn Lauvao

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Re: Shawn Lauvao

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:04 am

Kilmer72 wrote:Personally, I have no clue how this will work out. I wasn't to enthused by the signing except for his size. He may work out because our scouting tells us he is a zone blocking lineman. CLL is right about other factors... Receivers have a part in the game as far as allowing sacks. Running back might not block as well as we wished. QBs might hold the ball too long. I watched Kirk get rid of the ball lightning fast behind receivers because, he knew he didn't have much time before he got hit hard. What ever the reasons all the parts play the role in the line caving in. Leave it up to the scouting department to try to figure it out. I like his size he might work out. What scares me is Kory and his light body as center. He doesn't have Trent next to him but maybe technique is all that is needed there. I am not a fan of the zone blocking. I prefer smash mouth but this wont be the case this year. I can't understand why Morris wouldn't be as effective in a different scheme. They know more than I so I have to wait and see before I complain. I thought the whole line needed to be replaced other than Trent. IMO. They can't fix everything this year. This team will take years to climb back to dominance. Here is to hoping I am wrong and all is well and nothing to fear. HTTR

I share many of your concerns. It should be noted that the position along a line that can afford to be lightest is center. That may seem counter-intuitive but it's true. They generally either work in space or perform cut-off blocks. When they are handling a NT in pass pro they are generally part of a double team. They easily have to be the most intelligent of the linemen as they are instrumental in making protection adjustments. Kory is currently listed (pro-football reference) at 6-3, 296. The all-pro center this past year, Ryan Kalil, comes in at 6-3, 299. We have no worries at all with Kory when it comes to size at the center position.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Re: Shawn Lauvao

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:53 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:Personally, I have no clue how this will work out. I wasn't to enthused by the signing except for his size. He may work out because our scouting tells us he is a zone blocking lineman. CLL is right about other factors... Receivers have a part in the game as far as allowing sacks. Running back might not block as well as we wished. QBs might hold the ball too long. I watched Kirk get rid of the ball lightning fast behind receivers because, he knew he didn't have much time before he got hit hard. What ever the reasons all the parts play the role in the line caving in. Leave it up to the scouting department to try to figure it out. I like his size he might work out. What scares me is Kory and his light body as center. He doesn't have Trent next to him but maybe technique is all that is needed there. I am not a fan of the zone blocking. I prefer smash mouth but this wont be the case this year. I can't understand why Morris wouldn't be as effective in a different scheme. They know more than I so I have to wait and see before I complain. I thought the whole line needed to be replaced other than Trent. IMO. They can't fix everything this year. This team will take years to climb back to dominance. Here is to hoping I am wrong and all is well and nothing to fear. HTTR

I share many of your concerns. It should be noted that the position along a line that can afford to be lightest is center. That may seem counter-intuitive but it's true. They generally either work in space or perform cut-off blocks. When they are handling a NT in pass pro they are generally part of a double team. They easily have to be the most intelligent of the linemen as they are instrumental in making protection adjustments. Kory is currently listed (pro-football reference) at 6-3, 296. The all-pro center this past year, Ryan Kalil, comes in at 6-3, 299. We have no worries at all with Kory when it comes to size at the center position.

How accurate is pro-football reference? He is listed smaller on http://www.redskins.com/team/roster.html Not that it matters a ton because technique plays a huge role. What worries me is Montgomery being bigger and pushed around and the year before he supposedly had good technique. It may have a lot to do with how people are/were playing beside him. It still bothers me but maybe everything works out.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football