Shawn Lauvao

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
|||

Re: Shawn Lauvao

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:45 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:I'm really not very enthusiastic about this.

[*][*] Lauvao plays RG, we already have a RG. Chris Chester was a little rough last season, but he was excellent in 2012. According to PFF he was much better than Lauvao in 2013.
[*] Lauvao is one of the most heavily penalized linemen in football. He drew only 3 flags last season, but he missed a huge chunk of the season. In 2012 he was penalized 8 times (4th most in the league among guards), in 2011 he was penalized 11 times (#1).
[*] In three years, Lauvao has never finished a season graded in the positive by PFF. He's actually gotten worse, even accounting for his limited playing time in 2013.

I know he's more of a pass blocker, so maybe the idea of moving him to LG has some merit, but I'm not sold. It's hard to move positions on the line, especially a guy who's displayed a lack of mental discipline like Lauvao. If he's placed at RG, the situation becomes even more of a head scratcher, seeing as how Chester was fairly decent last season and excellent in the previous season. LG is the biggest weakness on the line. Hopefully Lauvao plugged that hole... but I'm not sold at all.

Regardless we need help on the Oline. We just need guys with a solid talent wise then we coach them up.
Dont understand how you dont like the fact that we addressed the Oline? We should still go after another tackle either the draft or free agency.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:44 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:I'm really not very enthusiastic about this.

[*][*] Lauvao plays RG, we already have a RG. Chris Chester was a little rough last season, but he was excellent in 2012. According to PFF he was much better than Lauvao in 2013.
[*] Lauvao is one of the most heavily penalized linemen in football. He drew only 3 flags last season, but he missed a huge chunk of the season. In 2012 he was penalized 8 times (4th most in the league among guards), in 2011 he was penalized 11 times (#1).
[*] In three years, Lauvao has never finished a season graded in the positive by PFF. He's actually gotten worse, even accounting for his limited playing time in 2013.

I know he's more of a pass blocker, so maybe the idea of moving him to LG has some merit, but I'm not sold. It's hard to move positions on the line, especially a guy who's displayed a lack of mental discipline like Lauvao. If he's placed at RG, the situation becomes even more of a head scratcher, seeing as how Chester was fairly decent last season and excellent in the previous season. LG is the biggest weakness on the line. Hopefully Lauvao plugged that hole... but I'm not sold at all.

I don't know if we watched the same games or what but Chris Chester and Tyler Polumbus were pathetic last year and wouldn't have started for ANY OTHER TEAM! :D I for one want them both the hell outta DC on the first thing smoking. THEY SUCK!!

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:25 am

Chester was flat out awful for us last season. There was nothing "decent" about his play. I will take anyone as an upgrade over him.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:43 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:I don't know if we watched the same games or what but Chris Chester and Tyler Polumbus were pathetic last year and wouldn't have started for ANY OTHER TEAM! :D I for one want them both the hell outta DC on the first thing smoking. THEY SUCK!!

You're tragically uninformed on the matter. I mean honestly, that kind of comment adds nothing to the board. It really doesn't matter what you and your buddies say about the offensive line when you're pounding a few beers. Tyler Polumbus was actually one of the best RT's in all of football last season. If he doesn't start for us next season, I'll be pissed. Overall PFF graded him as the 5th best RT in 2013. He was 3rd in pass blocking, only penalized once, and gave up only 4 sacks. He played at a Pro Bowl level last season and a compelling argument could be made that he and Silverback make up the best tackle team in football.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:59 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Regardless we need help on the Oline. We just need guys with a solid talent wise then we coach them up.
Dont understand how you dont like the fact that we addressed the Oline? We should still go after another tackle either the draft or free agency.

1.) I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion of "coaching them up". This is the NFL. It's not a Pop Warner team. These guys are pros who have been playing since they were old enough to strap on pads. By and large, they're as "coached up" as they're gonna get.

2.) I don't feel like the O-Line has really been addressed. Say your car broke down and you needed transportation for your 5 mile commute every day. In response your wife buys you a skateboard. Would you feel that your transportation needs were addressed?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:00 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:You're tragically uninformed on the matter.

I agree. It would be much better if he just parroted whatever PFF says.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:05 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I don't know if we watched the same games or what but Chris Chester and Tyler Polumbus were pathetic last year and wouldn't have started for ANY OTHER TEAM! :D I for one want them both the hell outta DC on the first thing smoking. THEY SUCK!!

You're tragically uninformed on the matter. I mean honestly, that kind of comment adds nothing to the board. It really doesn't matter what you and your buddies say about the offensive line when you're pounding a few beers. Tyler Polumbus was actually one of the best RT's in all of football last season. If he doesn't start for us next season, I'll be pissed. Overall PFF graded him as the 5th best RT in 2013. He was 3rd in pass blocking, only penalized once, and gave up only 4 sacks. He played at a Pro Bowl level last season and a compelling argument could be made that he and Silverback make up the best tackle team in football.

I really could care less about grading. The fact is 95% of all sacks and QB pressures came from Chester and Polumbus's side. That has nothing to do with pounding beers or shots. If you see Polumbus has TERRIBLE Form, stands too tall and is often at a disadvantage when it comes to technique. Yes he has a decent season the year prior but that is what a healthy RGIII does, further masks problems, non mobile QB showed exactly why Chester and Polumbus need to be replaced ASAP. [-o< [-o< [-o<

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:19 am

All I know about Chris Chester is that I've been reading since the end of the season that he is one of the o-line guys the team would try to replace. Not even going to pretend I can offer an informed opinion about him or Lauvao. I'm just going to assume the coaches felt they could do better at that position.

They can release Chester btw and save nearly $3m on the cap this year.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:25 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:I really could care less about grading.

This translates to, "I reject reality and insert my own".

DaSkinz Baby wrote:The fact is 95% of all sacks and QB pressures came from Chester and Polumbus's side.

Then proceeds to grade them by pulling a random number out of his ass. :lol:

DaSkinz Baby wrote: That has nothing to do with pounding beers or shots. If you see Polumbus has TERRIBLE Form, stands too tall and is often at a disadvantage when it comes to technique.

Now he's a coach.

DaSkinz Baby wrote: Yes he has a decent season the year prior but that is what a healthy RGIII does, further masks problems, non mobile QB showed exactly why Chester and Polumbus need to be replaced ASAP. [-o< [-o< [-o<

And more misinformation....

- A mobile QB actually makes it more difficult for linemen, as their coached to anchor in specific spots. A skittish QB destroys the pocket by giving defense angles. Granted, Roberts speed negated that fact.
- Last years line went two games without giving up a sack with Kirk Cousins at the helm... So...yea, there's that.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:34 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:- Last years line went two games without giving up a sack with Kirk Cousins at the helm... So...yea, there's that.

Both games were against some of the worst pass rushing teams last year. And they didn't go 2 games without giving up a sack, they gave up 1 to the Falcons (tied for 29th in sacks), and none to the Cowboys (tied for 25th in sacks). But then they gave up 3 to another team with an awful pass rush, the Giants, who were tied with the Cowboys at 25th in sacks. There's that, too.

As bad as the Redskins pass rush was last year...it was better than all of those teams (21st for the mediocre win, yay!)

I wouldn't use a 3 game stretch against bottom 7 pass rushing teams as a good barometer of how good your offensive line is by any stretch.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:38 am

PulpExposure wrote:I wouldn't use a 3 game stretch against bottom 7 pass rushing teams as a good barometer of how good your offensive line is by any stretch.

My point wasn't that they looked good. The point was that the line didn't do any worse with a less mobile QB at the helm. I may have been off on sack totals, but they didnt look as bad with Kirk at the helm.

I get where those teams were ranked, but that doesn't really mean that much to me. It's a valid point. But you even stated that they gave up 3 to one of those bad rush teams. They played fairly well behind a less mobile QB and I believe that's partly due to the fact that they knew were Kirk would be, as opposed to a skittish RGIII that puts his line in a bad position but didnt have the speed to make it not matter.

Also, our WR's couldn't get off the jam AT ALL last year. So, where those sacks attributed to the WR's or the line by the coaches? For people wondering how Polumbus grades out so high, it's because some people review film. And just cus Tyler got beat, or Chester got beat, maybe it was because the WR took 10 seconds to get open. Or Kirk/RGIII took 20 seconds to find an open man.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:43 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I really could care less about grading.

This translates to, "I reject reality and insert my own".

DaSkinz Baby wrote:The fact is 95% of all sacks and QB pressures came from Chester and Polumbus's side.

Then proceeds to grade them by pulling a random number out of his ass. :lol:

DaSkinz Baby wrote: That has nothing to do with pounding beers or shots. If you see Polumbus has TERRIBLE Form, stands too tall and is often at a disadvantage when it comes to technique.

Now he's a coach.

DaSkinz Baby wrote: Yes he has a decent season the year prior but that is what a healthy RGIII does, further masks problems, non mobile QB showed exactly why Chester and Polumbus need to be replaced ASAP. [-o< [-o< [-o<

And more misinformation....

- A mobile QB actually makes it more difficult for linemen, as their coached to anchor in specific spots. A skittish QB destroys the pocket by giving defense angles. Granted, Roberts speed negated that fact.
- Last years line went two games without giving up a sack with Kirk Cousins at the helm... So...yea, there's that.

Well there buddy at 3-13 damn right I could be a coach based on that record last year. Fact is I am not the only one that says that Chester and Polumbus are doo doo butter and that they need to be replaced. I am not going to argue over a team that only won 3 games the fact is Chris Chester and Tyler Polumbus need to be gone and the positions they held need to be filled. The fact that neither of them gave up a sack with Cousins means exactly what, the team still lost. Also since you want to point out that they didn't surrender sacks with Cousin's in there, look at first Dallas game, and then the Giants game, then maybe your eyes will allow you see what the plain and obvious truth is, that they both stink and are probably within top 5 worst RG and RT tandems in the NFL.........

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:45 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
PulpExposure wrote:I wouldn't use a 3 game stretch against bottom 7 pass rushing teams as a good barometer of how good your offensive line is by any stretch.

My point wasn't that they looked good. The point was that the line didn't do any worse with a less mobile QB at the helm. I may have been off on sack totals, but they didnt look as bad with Kirk at the helm.

I get where those teams were ranked, but that doesn't really mean that much to me. It's a valid point. But you even stated that they gave up 3 to one of those bad rush teams. They played fairly well behind a less mobile QB and I believe that's partly due to the fact that they knew were Kirk would be, as opposed to a skittish RGIII that puts his line in a bad position but didnt have the speed to make it not matter.

Also, our WR's couldn't get off the jam AT ALL last year. So, where those sacks attributed to the WR's or the line by the coaches? For people wondering how Polumbus grades out so high, it's because some people review film. And just cus Tyler got beat, or Chester got beat, maybe it was because the WR took 10 seconds to get open. Or Kirk/RGIII took 20 seconds to find an open man.

Dude seriously?? I recall MULTIPLE GAMES where the Defense was in the backfield within 2 seconds, the receivers didn't need to get opened because within 5 steps Chester and Polumbus on multiple plays DID NOT BLOCK or were totally juked..........

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:51 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Well there buddy at 3-13 damn right I could be a coach based on that record last year.
Fact is I am not the only one that says that Chester and Polumbus are doo doo butter and that they need to be replaced.

Fact is, you're not a coach and will never be one. Fact is, Chester had an off year. Fact is Polumbus graded pretty high. Fact is, there will be movement on the line but it won't be wholesale changes.

DaSkinz Baby wrote: I am not going to argue over a team that only won 3 games

I bet that you will, because you've already replied to me twice today.

DaSkinz Baby wrote:The fact that neither of them gave up a sack with Cousins means exactly what

It means that the general sentiment of ur statement was false. As usual.

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Dude seriously?? I recall MULTIPLE GAMES where the Defense was in the backfield within 2 seconds, the receivers didn't need to get opened because within 5 steps Chester and Polumbus on multiple plays DID NOT BLOCK or were totally juked..........

Is this where you got that 95% figure that you pulled out of ur ass?

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 am

I hate to say it but this was not a good signing. He's average at best. Lauvao is one of those guys you get for depth, not as a true starter. Now maybe they see something in him and he may have growth but for that money they could have signed a better offensive lineman.

He's not good as a run blocker and just an average pass blocker. You have to keep in mind Browns had legit all pro's Joe Thomas and Alex Mack on their line and were still struggling to open up lanes. He was one of the holes.

He's younger than Chester but that's about it. Maurice Hurt woulda been the better option and he's already on the team. I thought we were looking to upgrade!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football