Shawn Lauvao

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Shawn Lauvao

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:45 am

PAPDOG67 wrote:Riggofan, I have been seeing a lot of people lobbying for us to keep a majority of the players on our team. I also see a lot of posters who seem to say, "so and so did a good job last year." If that was the case, how in the heck did we go 3-13??? As far as I'm concerned, there are only about a dozen or so guys on the entire roster who I believe in fact did a good job last year, the rest of them I would have no problem with if we cut bait with them. To me, that is excepting mediocre play. I'm not saying you in particular, just a lot of posters in general.

Popdog67 it's all good. Anyone that watched the games last year and saw the right side of the line be dominated by what I perceive as 87% of all opponents faced understand that Chris Chester and Tyler Polumbus need to be replaced ASAP. I for one wasn't excited with Chester from day one, he stunk in Baltimore! That is why he was let go! In regards to Polumbus if we never would have been screwed to the tune of 36 million can anyone on here not being a heroin addict really believe that Chester and Polumbus would have been our starting right side line? Sorry I can't buy into that. I will even back that up with various media outlets saying that they are only here and starting because of cap gate. I know we can't fill every hole but I think replacing Chester is PARAMOUNT. Polumbus I hope loses his position and roster spot to someone either already signed or someone we either sign or pickup. For me, and what I saw last year, and I know we are talking about very slim pickings but I would have liked to see contracts terminated on a great many players from last years roster.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:47 am

PAPDOG67 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, there are only about a dozen or so guys on the entire roster who I believe in fact did a good job last year, the rest of them I would have no problem with if we cut bait with them. To me, that is excepting mediocre play. I'm not saying you in particular, just a lot of posters in general.

That's a fair stance to have but lets be realistic. Do we have enough cap room and draft picks to overhaul this roster aside from 12 players? We don't. So people will have varying opinions of who to keep, who to let go? Lets use Chester for example.

He's played fairly well up until last year. He's been particularly solid at RG, correct me if I'm wrong. 2013 was a bad year, for everyone, not just Chester. He gets cut after one year of down play? I guess RGIII needs to go. Kirk too, he looked pretty ratty at the end. Jordan Reed can't stay healthy..., cut him. Logan Paulsen, bye-bye.

I like to ask, why did he have a bad year? Was it him? Was it injury? Was it him trying to compensate for a weakness elsewhere on the line? Was it scheme? Was it Robert causing the pocket to collapse by not staying in it? Those are the questions that IMO foster great discussion. Those are the questions we need answered to truly come to a decisive conclusion. Posters simply saying, "my eyeball says he sucks, there that's what it is and u can't tell me diff", is just kinda tired in certain situations.

For the Redskins situations, lack of draft picks, cap situation, depth situation, HC transition, what can realistically be expected? What can really be done?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Well looks like we may have possibly signed Tyler Polumbus's replacement. Bruce Campbell from Maryland, hasn't done nothing in the NFL. But at 6'6 320 pounds and costing 600,000 on a 1 year deal. I would chose him over Polumbus!!! Can't be any worse!!!! Come on Forrester, make your money and coach this dude to be a good one!!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:13 pm

Man, I'm sure there are quite a few players who were only on our roster because of capgate. There is no debating that! I still think its smart to look at each player objectively like Chris is saying rather than just write everybody off as "he sucks" because he was on that 3-13 nightmare.

Not defending Chester btw. Personally I would like to see changes on the o-line mainly towards bigger guys who can protect RGIII and away from these smaller "he can run the ZBS" guys.

PAPDOG67 wrote:Riggofan, I have been seeing a lot of people lobbying for us to keep a majority of the players on our team.

hah. I don't know about that, especially after the 3-13 season. There are a lot of guys who need to go.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
PAPDOG67 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, there are only about a dozen or so guys on the entire roster who I believe in fact did a good job last year, the rest of them I would have no problem with if we cut bait with them. To me, that is excepting mediocre play. I'm not saying you in particular, just a lot of posters in general.

That's a fair stance to have but lets be realistic. Do we have enough cap room and draft picks to overhaul this roster aside from 12 players? We don't. So people will have varying opinions of who to keep, who to let go? Lets use Chester for example.

He's played fairly well up until last year. He's been particularly solid at RG, correct me if I'm wrong. 2013 was a bad year, for everyone, not just Chester. He gets cut after one year of down play? I guess RGIII needs to go. Kirk too, he looked pretty ratty at the end. Jordan Reed can't stay healthy..., cut him. Logan Paulsen, bye-bye.

I like to ask, why did he have a bad year? Was it him? Was it injury? Was it him trying to compensate for a weakness elsewhere on the line? Was it scheme? Was it Robert causing the pocket to collapse by not staying in it? Those are the questions that IMO foster great discussion. Those are the questions we need answered to truly come to a decisive conclusion. Posters simply saying, "my eyeball says he sucks, there that's what it is and u can't tell me diff", is just kinda tired in certain situations.

For the Redskins situations, lack of draft picks, cap situation, depth situation, HC transition, what can realistically be expected? What can really be done?

These are legitimate questions, however I think and maybe this is a reach, Shanahan has a lot to do with the decline last year. I for one take the time out to research and look at all players the Skins sign if I haven't heard of him. In regards to Chester, since I follow the Ratbirds to some degree in the AFC, I had seen his play prior to his signing and again saw him as the weak link on Baltimore's offensive line, then they cut him and we sign him for millions, another par for the course signing IMHO, I would not say Chester every played up to the millions he has been paid and we can say that his best year was the 2012 season. Logan Paulsen is a good blocking TE that seemed to catch the Aldrick Robinson disease last year. I know we can't replace everyone all at once, and I also understand that the Cap Penalty will haunt us for about 3-4 years, however having a franchise QB FINALLY I would think that we need to have the best lineman and I believe that there are better options out there for us than Chester and Polumbus, even if the defense suffers as a result. We know a 1 legged RGIII isn't the answer, I think a healthy one will be, but time will tell................

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:22 pm

riggofan wrote:Man, I'm sure there are quite a few players who were only on our roster because of capgate. There is no debating that! I still think its smart to look at each player objectively like Chris is saying rather than just write everybody off as "he sucks" because he was on that 3-13 nightmare.

Not defending Chester btw. Personally I would like to see changes on the o-line mainly towards bigger guys who can protect RGIII and away from these smaller "he can run the ZBS" guys.

PAPDOG67 wrote:Riggofan, I have been seeing a lot of people lobbying for us to keep a majority of the players on our team.

hah. I don't know about that, especially after the 3-13 season. There are a lot of guys who need to go.

I am trying to remember the specifics but I do recall SEVERAL articles saying that Polumbus is only on this team because of cap gate! Chester should have NEVER BEEN SIGNED IMHO, his play wasn't good in Baltimore, and his play hasn't been good here IMHO.......

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:23 pm

CLL, I would never say that Chester was "solid." I choose to use the word "serviceable." He had a serviceable year in 2012. I was never a big fan, but I could live with the job he did in 2012. As for last year he was bad, real bad. Just my opinion. I know you like to use numbers, and that's fine, althought I prefer to use more numbers when talking baseball. As for football I generally trust my eye, and I also ask myself this one question when it comes to certain players and how valuable they are to our team... and that question is this, "If we released this guy tomorrow, will there be a line of teams looking to sign him?" My answer to that question is no, so I feel we can do much better at the RG position. I am no fan of Polumbus either, but I could live with him for one more season if need be, as I also understand your arguement that we cannot overhaul the entire roster in one season.

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:20 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
mastdark81 wrote:I hate to say it but this was not a good signing. He's average at best. Lauvao is one of those guys you get for depth, not as a true starter. Now maybe they see something in him and he may have growth but for that money they could have signed a better offensive lineman.

He's not good as a run blocker and just an average pass blocker. You have to keep in mind Browns had legit all pro's Joe Thomas and Alex Mack on their line and were still struggling to open up lanes. He was one of the holes.

He's younger than Chester but that's about it. Maurice Hurt woulda been the better option and he's already on the team. I thought we were looking to upgrade!!

We won't know until the pads are on. But we won't know how he fits into this system... Plus the HC played against him twice a year, so there's some familiarity. Who knows. This could be a whiff, or it could work out.

Also, he could be replacing Kory at LG, and Kory moving over to center... Again, time will tell. It's very early and too early to know that this isn't an upgrade.

Well he had pads on last year and he sucked in a similar system. At very very best he's as adequate as Chester. But at the same time don't we want a player better than Chester? I would have had our picks LeRibeus and Hurt battle it out for Kory's spot and still moved him to center. Used some of his money to grab Michael Oher and put him at RT. Better than not getting him at all though. Just thought he was paid high.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:17 pm

Here's a curveball for you:

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980 4m

Cooley pretty much confirms what we've been reporting that Kory Lichtensteiger will be moving to center. Mentions could move Chester to LG.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Regardless we need help on the Oline. We just need guys with a solid talent wise then we coach them up.
Dont understand how you dont like the fact that we addressed the Oline? We should still go after another tackle either the draft or free agency.

1.) I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion of "coaching them up". This is the NFL. It's not a Pop Warner team. These guys are pros who have been playing since they were old enough to strap on pads. By and large, they're as "coached up" as they're gonna get.

2.) I don't feel like the O-Line has really been addressed. Say your car broke down and you needed transportation for your 5 mile commute every day. In response your wife buys you a skateboard. Would you feel that your transportation needs were addressed?

Well you bring up some good points. I just think so long as we dont overpay and keep bringing in players who can potentially improve the Oline then thats a good sign. Lets hope Bruce Campbell can improve and start for us.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:18 am

Man, it would be nice to see them develop Bruce Campbell, but I hope to heck we're not banking on him being a starter anytime soon. This feels like we're still under the cap penalties, naming Bacarri Rambo our starting safety! :)

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:45 am

riggofan wrote:Man, it would be nice to see them develop Bruce Campbell, but I hope to heck we're not banking on him being a starter anytime soon. This feels like we're still under the cap penalties, naming Bacarri Rambo our starting safety! :)

I tend to think that even though the 36 million was taken out over the last two years, this is going to hamper us for about the next 2-3 years as well. I think it's going to take that long just to build the roster with depth. I think other than Robert's the players signed are depth players. Should any of them really show anything they start. I think our starters will be gotten in the draft and the next couple of drafts. Perhaps Bruce is onto something, heck media is saying we didn't want to give up a 5th round draft choice for Darren Sprioles!! When was the last time the organization said that or even felt like that????

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:44 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
riggofan wrote:Man, it would be nice to see them develop Bruce Campbell, but I hope to heck we're not banking on him being a starter anytime soon. This feels like we're still under the cap penalties, naming Bacarri Rambo our starting safety! :)

I tend to think that even though the 36 million was taken out over the last two years, this is going to hamper us for about the next 2-3 years as well. I think it's going to take that long just to build the roster with depth.

No question about that. Btw seems to be something up with Bruce Campbell. Apparently not a done deal and may not happen.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:21 pm

riggofan wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:

I tend to think that even though the 36 million was taken out over the last two years, this is going to hamper us for about the next 2-3 years as well. I think it's going to take that long just to build the roster with depth.

No question about that. Btw seems to be something up with Bruce Campbell. Apparently not a done deal and may not happen.

Yes something about a failed physical. Depressing I really thought he was going to get Polumbus outs here..... :twisted: :twisted:

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Personally, I have no clue how this will work out. I wasn't to enthused by the signing except for his size. He may work out because our scouting tells us he is a zone blocking lineman. CLL is right about other factors... Receivers have a part in the game as far as allowing sacks. Running back might not block as well as we wished. QBs might hold the ball too long. I watched Kirk get rid of the ball lightning fast behind receivers because, he knew he didn't have much time before he got hit hard. What ever the reasons all the parts play the role in the line caving in. Leave it up to the scouting department to try to figure it out. I like his size he might work out. What scares me is Kory and his light body as center. He doesn't have Trent next to him but maybe technique is all that is needed there. I am not a fan of the zone blocking. I prefer smash mouth but this wont be the case this year. I can't understand why Morris wouldn't be as effective in a different scheme. They know more than I so I have to wait and see before I complain. I thought the whole line needed to be replaced other than Trent. IMO. They can't fix everything this year. This team will take years to climb back to dominance. Here is to hoping I am wrong and all is well and nothing to fear. HTTR

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football